How do I convince my friend that he should marry? I ha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I convince my friend that he should marry? I ha

I have a really close guy friend and we're both Muslim. We're not like girlfriend and boyfriend or anything (we keep things CLEAN) but I'm certain he has feelings for me and I like him a lot too. He's just wonderful in every way but here's the thing...he's crazy!:

So like he's a very serious student and he goes to a really great college (ivy) and all he does is study all day. Not only does he study his schoolwork, but he READS the Quran, the Bible, and a whole assortment of religious texts! He has weird notes all over his desks and small notebooks full of strange symbols. He's just the greatest guy when we occasionally hang out but other than that...that's what he spends the rest of his time doing. He also reads a lot about magick, he meditates for God knows how long and he attempts astral projection to be closer with God. He literally lives the life of a monk and when I brought up marriage (not even to me!) he blushed and stuff and said that he wants to live a life of devotion to God, self-betterment, and bettering the human condition (yes, these were his exact words) -_______-

Okay, I'm all for being close with Islam and God and everything, I am, but isn't what he's doing a bit over the top? I mean he's a great guy and everything - well spoken and intelligent...but I think he spends a little too much time doing weird stuff. I know he's not gay and I'm positive that he does like me...A LOT, and not only as a friend. So what's up with him? How do I make him normal, well not normal but at least...less devoted to his own experiments and studies and more devoted to the other things in life.

Re: How do I convince my friend that he should marry? I ha

He needs to get rid of all of them weird "religious" stuff and come to the Sunnah of the prophet PBUH. He wants to attain Allah's pleasure and be close to him? follow the sunnah. That is the only thing acceptable to Allah and its the best way because the greatest creation showed us it. Seclusion and life of zuhd is not part of sunnah from the way he wants to do it.

I see him as kinda confused
    Last edited by samin62; 04-10-11, 03:25 AM.
    "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

Hey! To be completely honest with you, I think you need to give your friend a reality check. It's great that he's spinning ttime doing things to better himself but he needs to jump back into reality. You need to tell him as a friend that the seclusion and isolation he's putting himself is doing no good for him... I hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Eva<3 View Post
        I have a really close guy friend and we're both Muslim. We're not like girlfriend and boyfriend or anything (we keep things CLEAN) but I'm certain he has feelings for me and I like him a lot too. He's just wonderful in every way but here's the thing...he's crazy!:

So like he's a very serious student and he goes to a really great college (ivy) and all he does is study all day. Not only does he study his schoolwork, but he READS the Quran, the Bible, and a whole assortment of religious texts! He has weird notes all over his desks and small notebooks full of strange symbols. He's just the greatest guy when we occasionally hang out but other than that...that's what he spends the rest of his time doing. He also reads a lot about magick, he meditates for God knows how long and he attempts astral projection to be closer with God. He literally lives the life of a monk and when I brought up marriage (not even to me!) he blushed and stuff and said that he wants to live a life of devotion to God, self-betterment, and bettering the human condition (yes, these were his exact words) -_______-

Okay, I'm all for being close with Islam and God and everything, I am, but isn't what he's doing a bit over the top? I mean he's a great guy and everything - well spoken and intelligent...but I think he spends a little too much time doing weird stuff. I know he's not gay and I'm positive that he does like me...A LOT, and not only as a friend. So what's up with him? How do I make him normal, well not normal but at least...less devoted to his own experiments and studies and more devoted to the other things in life.
        I think in his journey for spirituality he might end up communing with jinn (epseically as you have mentioned astral projections, magick, and strange symbols). If he is muslims, he needs to understand islam properly, and we can help set him on the right path.

As for yourself, the most important thing for you is to first research into islam so you understand it properly, and then can make the best decision when it comes to life and marriage. We can help you move to the right direction in that way too.

Perhaps you have questions about how exactly we get close to God in Islam.
        If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Humililty, Sincerity, and the quest for Truth. There is no purpose in life but to seek the pleasure of Allah.
        There is a possibility a female might use this account to read something!

Comment

The strange symbols, astral projections and reads on magic bit creeps me out.

Comment

I'd say, maybe the issue is his understanding of Islam and that you should discuss this with him, but erm... what are you doing hanging out with a non-mahram?

Get a Muslim man who you know, who knows about Islam and practices to speak to him.
            Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, thabbit qalbi 'alaa Deenik
            O' Converter of Hearts, make my heart steadfast upon Thy Way
            We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Comment

I didn't know it wasn't allowed to hang out with guys if you're a girl up until recently:X That's insane though! We can't help it these days. I mean we all have to go to school and stuff so how is this possible?? I told him to join this forum and soliloquy, thanks. I'm making sure he drags his ass to the mosque so he can speak with a Mullah.

Also, al-siddiq, would you be willing to talk to him through e-mail or private message or something? I just hope he doesn't see this post or I'm in trouble...Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Bring him to the forum.

As for not talking with guys, you can talk only if there's a dire need for it (like talking about work only). But, what you are doing is wrong. You may not hang out with guys or be friends.
                Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
                - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Asalamu Alaikum,

Joining this forum would be a great idea for him.

With regards to talking to the opposite sex it is allowed when it comes for educational or occupational reasons. Idle talk though is not allowed and we should try to stay avoid that as best as possible. It won't be easy adjusting to that but try your best to limit that. Yeah, telling him to go to the mosque is a great idea as well.

My suggestion to him is to learn more about Islam and to stay away from some of these other matters such as magic.

May Allah reward you for your efforts and May Allah show help him as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Eva<3 View Post
                    I didn't know it wasn't allowed to hang out with guys if you're a girl up until recently:X That's insane though! We can't help it these days. I mean we all have to go to school and stuff so how is this possible??
                    Ah but it's not that you can't interact with each other at ALL! It's just there are rules on how to interact (like we don't just 'hang out' for no reason). I mean even society has rules, it's not like we can be intimate with all our clothes off in public right? =). Islam protects the sanctity of marriage and here's a good read!

http://islamicsystem.blogspot.com/20...to-mixing.html

I think it will answer all your questions =).

I told him to join this forum and soliloquy, thanks. I'm making sure he drags his ass to the mosque so he can speak with a Mullah.

Also, al-siddiq, would you be willing to talk to him through e-mail or private message or something? I just hope he doesn't see this post or I'm in trouble...Thanks again everyone!

Sure he can PM me, feel free to tell him to =).
                    If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Humililty, Sincerity, and the quest for Truth. There is no purpose in life but to seek the pleasure of Allah.
                    There is a possibility a female might use this account to read something!

Comment

Working...
                    X