Cultural superstitions that are mixed up with Islam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cultural superstitions that are mixed up with Islam

I hear a lot of these all the time from practicing Muslims. I'm just like whatever. I'll do my salah, obey the 5 pillars, avoid what's haraam, and work out the details later. Because you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

It annoys me when someone says something like this without a Quran verse or Hadith to back it up. We should be using ONLY the Qur'an and Hadith, nothing else at all!

Comment

Originally posted by ze leetle elper View Post
      Sorry I'm not sure if you are pretending to be foolish or whether its natural? What has inside or outside toilets got to do with the price of apples?

The issue here is when one is relieving themselves, be it on a toilet, behind a bush or a hole in the sand. Contrary to your understanding, people from the 7th century were civilised people and did not defecate in any random spot like animals. There was obviously a dedicated toilet area, and this is what was considered 'going to the toilet.' Where di the dua for entering a leaving the toilet come from? Is that also ridiculous because they didn't have a wooden panelled door with a brass handle leading to a tiled bathroom floor at the time?

Please use your common sense, it would avoid silly rhetoric like this.
      *sigh*
      'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ :)

Comment

My understanding of this whole toilet issue is that yes there was designated area for the toilet but they were not inside the home like they are today. People would have to walk from out of their home to get to there. So for that reason women would cover their head and themselves upon going so men around would not be able to see who it is clearly going simply because it's a private matter and people had shame and modesty regarding this. But today since washrooms are inside it doesn't seem like a huge deal to us. By shame I don't mean for it to be like it's something unnatural obviously it's not ; rather just being modest about it and not openly declaring one needs to go to the bathroom like many people do today.
        Screaming, But Will Never Be Heard

Comment

Originally posted by GuCcI View Post
          My understanding of this whole toilet issue is that yes there was designated area for the toilet but they were not inside the home like they are today. People would have to walk from out of their home to get to there. So for that reason women would cover their head and themselves upon going so men around would not be able to see who it is clearly going simply because it's a private matter and people had shame and modesty regarding this. But today since washrooms are inside it doesn't seem like a huge deal to us. By shame I don't mean for it to be like it's something unnatural obviously it's not ; rather just being modest about it and not openly declaring one needs to go to the bathroom like many people do today.
          Good post, Sis :up:
          'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ :)

Comment

Aoa,

Can someone please help me understand why we can't sweep the floor or hoover at maghrib time?

Also why do we have to be quiet (more so than usual) at maghrib time?

Is this true and what is the special significance of maghrib time that normal activities cannot be done? (I mean maghrib time not maghrib salah itself)

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Shareefa View Post
              Aoa,

Can someone please help me understand why we can't sweep the floor or hoover at maghrib time?

Also why do we have to be quiet (more so than usual) at maghrib time?

Is this true and what is the special significance of maghrib time that normal activities cannot be done? (I mean maghrib time not maghrib salah itself)

Thank you
              After Maghrib the shaitan are more active, this may be the reason. I have never heard about sweeping or being quiet though.
              www.treasureofthescholars.wordpress.com

Comment

Also re. near Maghrib time, we're not supposed to let children play outside (amongst other things) :

Keeping children indoors at the time of Maghrib (sunset)

What is the ruling on believers being outside after Maghrib? Is it disliked?

--------

We are encouraged, however, to keep our children indoors at this time, for the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “When night falls, keep your children indoors, for the devils are out and about at this time. When an hour of the night goes by, you can let them goCover your dishes, close your containers, shut your doors, and keep your children indoors at nightfall, for the Jinn are out and about and stalkingDo not send out your cattle or your children when the sun sets until the blackness of the night descends, for indeed the Satans are sent forth when the Sun sets until the blackness of the night descends
                http://en.islamtoday.net/node/1741

Comment

Originally posted by *asiya* View Post
                  youre the one who bought biddah into it. i didnt mention anything about that.

weak hadith are not sources of our deen, thats why theyre weak, they have no sahih isnaad and no basis in islam, and no muslim needs to cover his head to enter the bathroom and nor is it sunnah to do so. they didnt even have a bathroom in their houses back then people simply went to an area outside.
                  link) Also the fatwa comitte from Al-Imaam Muhammad Bin Sa’oud Islamic University in Saudi Arabia add 'As for covering one's head while relieving nature the Fuqaha prefer that and consider it one of the etiquettes of entering the toilet.' [link]

Also with regards to weak narrations;

(حدثنا) محمد بن سعيد ابن نبات أخبرنا اسماعيل بن اسحق البصري اخبرنا احمد بن سعيد بن حزم اخبرنا محمد بن ابراهيم بن حيون الحجازى اخبرنا عبد الله بن احمد بن حنبل قال سمعت ابى يقول: الحديث الضعيف احب الينا من الرأى.

Muhammad bin Sa'eed bin Nabaat narrated to us, 'Ismaa'eel bin 'Ishaaq al-Basree reported to us, 'Ahmad bin Sa'eed bin Hazm reported to us, Muhammad bin 'Ibraaheem bin Hayyuun al-Hijaazee reported to us, 'Abd Allah bin 'Ahmad bin Hanbal reported to us, he said: 'my father said':

"The weak hadith is more beloved to us than the mere opinion".
                  Last edited by ze leetle elper; 13-10-11, 07:54 PM.

Comment

^^^

Brother, please increase the size of the font when posting.

JZK.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X