Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cultural superstitions that are mixed up with Islam

Asalamu Alaikum brothers and sisters.

This is my first post and I hope it is in the correct area of the forum.

My question is that I have recently started reading more into Islam and am finding that certain things I was told while growing up cannot be found in the Quran or Hadith. This includes certain superstitions like:

Fold the janamaaz when you finish praying otherwise the shaitaan sits on it and will pray
    Don't leave shoes up the wrong way as the bottom of your shoe is facing up to Allah swt
    Don't sit with your arms up and under your head
    Not cutting fingernails at night
    Not hoovering while the TV is on (this one makes me laugh!)
    Throw away all crockery that is chipped or damaged (this is one that I'm unsure of so if anybody has any information on this one, please advise)

I don't blame my elders for teaching me about these things as they just followed the guidance they were given by their elders and unfortunately they didn't have access to the kind of information that we have now on the internet.
    Please advise on any other cultural superstitions that you know of that have no basis in Islam.

Re: Cultural superstitions that are mixed up with Islam

Originally posted by Banafsaji View Post

My question is that I have recently started reading more into Islam and am finding that certain things I was told while growing up cannot be found in the Quran or Hadith. This includes certain superstitions like:

Fold the janamaaz when you finish praying otherwise the shaitaan sits on it and will pray
    Don't leave shoes up the wrong way as the bottom of your shoe is facing up to Allah swt
    Throw away all crockery that is chipped or damaged (this is one that I'm unsure of so if anybody has any information on this one, please advise)

I don't blame my elders for teaching me about these things as they just followed the guidance they were given by their elders and unfortunately they didn't have access to the kind of information that we have now on the internet.
    Please advise on any other cultural superstitions that you know of that have no basis in Islam.
    First time I heard about folding the prayer carpet I was like what...., Isn't it a good thing if a shaytaan decides to pray means it isn't that bad anymore and decided to change its ways.
    Never heard the one about tv, who would have even come up with that
    Collection of Arabic Learning material and Islamic Books

Away for a bit :wavey:

Comment

LOL, neither a vacum cleaner or TV were around at the time of the prophet (SAW). The list you have provided is more to do with etiquettte.
      [CENTER]*** :D ***[/CENTER]
      [CENTER]"No tiredness, illness, difficulty, sorrow, harm or sadness afflicts a Muslim, even to a thorn pricking him, without Allah wiping away his errors through it." [Recorded by Bukhari and Muslim, from Abu Sa'id and Abu Hurayra (Allah be pleased with them)] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]so smile, it a sunnah[/CENTER]

Comment

yes the prayer mat thing originally the imam used to fold mat after jamaat so if people cam in after it was finished then they knew jamaat was over, people have told me jinn will pray on mat, and im like alhamdulillah!

the nail cutting one is from hinduism, my family told me that too

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
        (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

there are so many things that are presented as islamic, but are truly cultural traditions. these traditions infused with islam because some people had not kept jahil ideas out of the new religion of islam. this situation is also prevalent in catholic majority nations. many traditions that just wouldn't die out and grew to be catholic or appear catholic.

Comment

When shaytan starts praying, he will no longer be shaytan. As to hoovering while tv is on, it is a matter of convenience and disturbance and is therefore credited on the account of culture.

Comment

Somone might come up and punch you in the stomach.

Very important. So as not to disturb the person watching their drama.
              It gets germs in the cracks that can't be washed. My own opinion.

Comment

The above seem to be very common with the bidat barelvis; they've mixed up hindu superstitions with some of their own.

Disgusting.

BTW, this bit :

If someone says that, tell them what's wrong with Shaytaan praying to ALLAH (SWT) ?
                'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ :)

Comment

This I wouldn't classify as 'superstition' but it definitely is a cultural thing, that I thought was a part of Islam for the longest time... saying "Taqabba'llah" after prayer to other people. I thought it was required since all of the women in the masjid would say it to each other, but I later on learned that it isn't part of Sunnah. I guess you could look at it either as a du3a or a greeting.

Comment

Not to have your hands in your pockets - don't know if that's sunnah or superstition
                    Fabi-ayyiala -i rabbikuma tukaththibani
                    Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s

You are not here just to fill space or to be a background character in someone else's movie. Consider this: nothing would be the same if you did not exist. Every place you have ever been and everyone you have ever spoken to would be different without you. We are all connected, and we are all affected by the decisions and even the existence of those around us.

Comment

Not getting a haircut whilst fasting

Comment

My mom used to tell me and actually she still does that not to wear the colour yellow outside after maghrib because
                        shaytan is attracted to yellow or it's shaytans favourite colour.
                        Everyone thinks their a scholar because they know how to copy and paste, you get your ummah face on and the second you log out, you know your reality. Anyone can attain knowledge, how many can implement it?

Comment

^lol
                          A Fast Growing Islamic Search Website -

www.Searching-Islam.com

Comment

cant pray without a hat on... to the extent I have seen brothers I know come from the off license they run as its jummah and worry because they cant find a topi so worried about their salaah being invalid without it.

or a friend who whilst actually praying had a brailwee place a hat on his head for him

Comment

cant pray with shoes on...

to the level where its a big janazah salaah so people praying in the car park and they still all take their shoes off even after the mufti leading salaah tells them is perfectly valid and correct to pray with shoes on when outside the masjid.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X