Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islam in Canada- how's life?

:salams

Few questions to the Canadians on here about life as a Muslim in Canada.

How do people percieve Islam there?
    Is it difficult or easier to practice one's deen openly than in places like UK/USA?
    Generally how's the crime rate/daily news reports/safety there?
    Is it safe for openly looking Muslim men/women (i.e beard, thobe, jilbab,niqaab)?

An is it true that Canada is soo safe that you don't need to worry about locking your car and something being stolen?

An honest report would help for research and will aid in reliable results.

Shukran lakee jazeelan
    (The hypocrites) will call the believers: "Were we not with you?" The believers will reply: "Yes! But you led yourselves into temptations, you looked forward for our destruction; you doubted (in Faith); and you were deceived by false desires, till the Command of Allah came to pass. And the chief deceiver (Satan) deceived you in respect of Allah."57:14

Re: Islam in Canada- how's life?

Originally posted by 1MuslimByChoice View Post

An is it true that Canada is soo safe that you don't need to worry about locking your car and something being stolen?
    LOL. Your mixing Canada up with Saudi.
    A Fast Growing Islamic Search Website -

www.Searching-Islam.com

Comment

I have never lived in Canada and have not too much experience with the Muslims there really, but all I can say is I love, love, love Canada. Very clean and safe. The people are very open and friendly, relaxed. This can vary among different parts of Canada like Quebec is different. Seriously I have driven through the worst parts of Toronto and never felt unsafe. If I traveled to the worse part of the city I live in, I would be terrified, and I don't scare easily! Canada is wonderful.
      Blessed is He in Whose Hand is the Dominion, and He is Able to do all things. (67.1)

Comment

:wswrwb:

When I was younger (and not practicing, I didn't really know what Islam is), I idealised Canada so much in my head... me and my best friend swore we'd move there when we're older, LOL!

Canada seems secular, yet respectful of peoples choices... I liked that.
        Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, thabbit qalbi 'alaa Deenik
        O' Converter of Hearts, make my heart steadfast upon Thy Way
        We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Comment

Depends where you go. *shrugs* You get your good people and bad people, but that's like it is everywhere. The crimes vary depending on which city you go to. If it's Toronto or Montreal or Vancouver, mainly the bigger cities, then you'll get more crime there. If you go to a smaller town like Ladysmith or some place up in Newfie, or even the territories then I'm assuming it's a lot less.

Sometimes you can get away with not locking your car doors. I've seen many cars with the window open all the way and nothing happened to it. Sometimes we leave the doors open to our houses, but that's only if someone is there.

As for Jilbab/Niqab/Thobe. There was some talk about it, but that's mostly in Quebec. It was brought up a while back by the MCC for the rest of Canada, but not much happened.
          وَإِذَا سَأَلَكَ عِبَادِي عَنِّي فَإِنِّي قَرِيبٌ أُجِيبُ دَعْوَةَ الدَّاعِ إِذَا دَعَانِ فَلْيَسْتَجِيبُواْ لِي وَلْيُؤْمِنُواْ بِي لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْشُدُونَ
          "And when My servants ask you (O Muhammad concerning Me, then answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright."
          Surah al-Baqarah ayah 186
          [2:186]

.:.
          .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
          Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

Comment

I think some people have a negative view of Islam based on whats portrayed in the media. Canadians are just as skeptical about Islam as Americans, their just less vocal in terms of outwardly being racist but you might get glares.

Is it difficult or easier to practice one's deen openly than in places like UK/USA?

I haven't lived in the U.S/U.K so I can't really compare. One thing about Canada is it is very liberal so though you may be able to outwardly practice your deen there is also freedom for others to outwardly do what they want as well. For example homosexuality is out in the open and gay marriage is LEGAL and generally accepted in society. Therefore though I can outwardly practice my religion (pray at school/work), at the same time others can do as they please.

Also it varies from place to place. Quebec (french province) is trying to pass a bill to ban women from wearing Niqab in all public places (including schools, hospitals..etc)

Depends on where you go, certain neighbourhoods in the city may have more crime then others. But in general I would say it is much lower then in the U.S.

Is it safe for openly looking Muslim men/women (i.e beard, thobe, jilbab,niqaab)?
            Generally it is.

No! lol. I live in Toronto and you definetly need to close your car door. Maybe in rural areas/small towns thats true.
            17-07

Comment

I'm not canadian but I visited family in canada over the summer, mainly mississauga but also toronto, and as someone from the uk i would say it just as easy/difficult to practise islam there as it is here. Saw lots of sisters with niqaab etc and they seemed to be getting along fine alhamdulillah. The areas i visited were very diverse, there are lots of immigrants in mississauga and even those that look "white" were foreigners, i think a lot were polish. Alhamdulillah everyone seems more tolerant where i visited, and there is not much of an issue with racism like you have in the uk (edl, bitter-at-immigrants working class folk, etc).
              I think mississauga pretty safe but not toronto as much? My relative would leave his car doors unlocked/windows down, and he would leave the windows to his apartment wide open (ground floor so someone could easily climb in and take what they want).
              It's a lovely area mashaAllah but one thing i couldn't get used to was having to drive for 15/20 mins to get to your local masjid. In the uk its like a 5 minute walk or something, lol.
              "You are the best nation raised up for men. You enjoin good and forbid evil, and you believe in Allah." (Surah Al Imran 3:110)

Comment

Opinion is very good. There's no EDL like thugs or rampant religious intolerance. Canada tries not to step on toes so you won't see Canada jumping on the niqaab ban bandwagon anytime soon.
                It would be about the same without as much friction.

Relatively lower than other parts of the world.

Yes.

That's what people from 30-40 years ago used to say, but not anymore. Lock your doors.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/start-debut-eng.html

Go crazy.

Shukran lakee jazeelan
                Wa iyyak.

Comment

Oooo, directed at the canucks!

Well, naturally, it depends on where you go. That's a given. In the bigger cities, obviously people are more prone to multiculturalism and different ways of life. Once you get out into the country, people are for the most part friendly and such but a fair bit more conservative.

I live in Atlantic Canada - people for the most part are very friendly, hospitable, down to earth, etc. Obviously, if you go looking for bad people you'll find them BUT by and large people here are great. Accommodating, mannerly, etc. Despite this, many are tuned into the media's perception of Islam. It's just natural I guess. Despite this, people are still friendly. Anytime i've been out and about wearing kufi, sk's, or a thobe, etc, no one has ever been rude or hostile, etc. It's just a different way of life that's misunderstood - but no one has ever all out ragged on me for it or any other muslims I know of.

In a social sense, yes, and please again remember i'm referring to my area... But when it comes to work and employment obviously there's always going to be knucklehead bosses who don't see eye to eye with you in matters of faith, prayer, etc.

Atlantic Canada is generally a very safe place. Mind your business, stay away from the hustle, etc, and for the most part it won't find you. Obviously YES there are random assaults, break ins, etc, even the odd murder. That's just life in the modern world it seems. Although i'm not up to date on any statistics i'd say Atlantic Canada is a very safe place. Probably safer than a lot of the rest of Canada. My sis & bro-in-law never lock their vehicle. We never have the door to our house locked. They've lived here for I think 8 years+ and no one has ever bothered them.

My grandmah has lived in the same place for about 20 years and no one has ever ever touched or disturbed her property. Same goes with almost all my family.

You might get a few stares but again i've never encountered any outright hostility. Never heard anything from anyone at the masjid either, or in the news in this area.

Crime doesn't have a geographical limit or an expiration date, haha, but if I had to take a guess i'd say a lot of my neighbors leave their doors unlocked every night.

Thinkin' about headed over to our wonderful canuckistan?
                  Back... for now.

Comment

It seems like everyone has answered ur questions :) I have to say the 'safety' part made me laugh :p, that could work if ur running into ur house to grab smth and then head back out, but in other cases it's a major no no.
                    الحق لا يعرف بالرجال، اعرف الحق تعرف رجاله

Comment

dont go to the french part

Comment

In general Canadians just keep their private opinions to themselves
                        and go on about their daily lives. Larger cities anywhere
                        will have some instances as 'road rage', or neighbor disputes.
                        But generally everybody just minds their own business.
                        Just as anywhere else in the world, you can have troubled
                        neighborhoods where drugs might be a problem.
                        We just had a new masjid built (east of Toronto), and things are
                        all quiet on the home front.
                        Mississauga (west Toronto) has a large Muslim community.
                        There are many different districts eg.china-town, greek-town,
                        and in the smaller rual districts there are meninites and Amish towns

eg. eg. Tilsonburg, St. Jacobs. I personally prefer the smaller
                        towns. Safety isn't much of an issue, you just need to use common sense.
                        (know where your kids are at all times, don't leave valuables visible in your car,
                        stay out of troubled neighborhoods after dark etc.)

"When authority is given to those who do not deserve it,
                        wait for the Day of Judgment."

Comment

Shukran lakee jazeelan
                          1. depends whr u are in canada..some hate it some dont..
                          2. it depends but yeah it might be less harsh than usa
                          3. its aight, just few areas in the city might be badddddddddddd
                          4. safe aight

regarding the locking car, yup for me lol..even had sometimes forgotten to shut the windows of the car...nuffin happ
                          Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
                          فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Comment

all i knoiw is its bloooming freeeezing, snows a blizzard, and thick sheets of ice on the pavements, i`ve never felt a wind so cold as in toronto. nice clean city though.
                            "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

haters gonn hate @)
                              Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
                              فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X