X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mental Health & Awareness

:salams

Would You Agree There Isnt Enough Awareness About Mental Health In The Ummah Today ?

its Still Seen As A Taboo Subject, :masha: There Is Islamic Counselling Services. But there Isnt Any Indivdual Groups Or Awareness About It.

Most Of The Time I Hear If Your Mentality Ill Due To Your Weak Emaan, Or Jinn - Ayn Evil Eye.

But It Does Exist In Islaam.

How Could I Or We Do To Raise Awareness ? Ideas Please ?
    And He found you lost and guided you,
    ~ Qur'an (Ad Duhaa) 93:7 ~

Salaah Reminders

Guide us to the straight pain.
    " Ihdina-s-sirata-l-mustaqim "
    ~ Quran 1:6 ~

الله أعلم

Re: Mental Health & Awareness

yes it exists - from my experience asians are mental :wacko:

Comment

i only know of two muslim psychologists.

Comment

Exactly - Its Eiether Joked About Or The Muslim Psychologists Come In Very Few Numbers.

So What Do you Think ? How Can Awareness Be Done ?

Salaah Reminders

الله أعلم

Comment

There is nowhere near enough awareness about mental health issues IMO. I'm totally with you about raising awareness :up: and also raising the profile of Islamic counselling services, i.e. those who are both qualified to treat mental health problems (not everyone who calls themselves a counsellor/counselling service is) and also practicing Muslims who deliver mental health counselling through an Islamic perspective. Like this: http://www.sakoon.co.uk/index.html (they do other kinds of counselling as well, e.g. marriage counselling, and it's all Islamic mashaAllah.)

I've been having counselling for PTSD and it really has helped so much I can't even begin to explain how much ALHAMDULILLAH.

On the other hand, there is nowhere near enough information about mental health issues, like causes, symptoms, warning signs etc. There are so many myths and misconceptions too and that leads to people not understanding they're at risk or that they have a problem or that someone can help them with it. And one of the biggest things is people who don't have mental health problems having this attitude that it won't affect them so they don't need to bother to find out about it...... but everyone thought that before they got them!! There's also this problem in wider society, not just the Muslim community.

And yeah I'm a bit sick of it always being joked about but there being no actual real, accurate information or support for so many people.

I was thinking of some kind of blog/website kind of thing but not really sure where to start....

Comment

Yes Blog Is Such A Good Idea And Maybe Facebook Page. I Mean This dont Cover Things like Schrenpnia, Bipolar And Muti Personalty Disorder.

There Are Important Issues To be Raised Such A Muslims Do Get Depressed.

Salaah Reminders

الله أعلم

Comment

I'm planning to write a blog about it inshaAllah, it would include:

-pages with general information about all different mental illnesses plus links to websites for more information

-articles to dispel myths about mental illness, including myths that are held by people in general and those that are held by Muslims

-articles written by Muslims who have mental illness about their experiences, especially with relation to the Muslim community (these can be anonoymous if the contributer wishes)

- articles about issues relevent to Muslims with mental health problems and those who care for mentally ill family members

-contact details of Islamic counselling services and other support organisations

-Muslims personal accounts of mental illness (anonymously, anyone who wants to contribute their account of their own illness can, and we'll keep it anonymous) including their own illness or caring for a family member

Also I'm thinking of having a facebook page or group for discussion, support and interacting with other Muslims who have mental health problems

----

I'd like the whole thing to be by Muslims, for Muslims, although non-Muslims would be welcome to contribute anything that's to do with what the blog's about.
              Last edited by dhak1yya; 11-09-11, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I've got bipolar disorder. Anyone else?
                Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Comment

Dhaks great idea Masha'Allah, do let me know when you get it up an running, I'll help you out with the resouces insha'Allah.

I have mounds of stuff about Mental Health Illness, symptoms, diagnosis, how to deal with it, how to care for someone etc, at work ( including that Wellbeing Manual, you looked at, I think )....great thing is, its been signed to be available in 7/8 other languages as well, and should be available online soon.

I'll have a look at your list at some point insha'Allah and give you a hand with collating appropriate stuff.
                  وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

Jenicca - re collating appropriate stuff/resources, did you mean articles or links? - I don't want to just stick in articles from other sources, I was hoping to include articles written by Muslims facing these issues for other Muslims who are facing them and also to dispel myths, from a personal perspective. Detailed stuff about symptoms, diagnosis etc is available elsewhere and can be linked to inshaAllah (where it's good and useful, because I have issues with some mental health websites and some articles written by psychiatrists/psychologists). What you mention sounds like good stuff to link to inshaAllah, especially the stuff in other languages. Also if you wrote an article that would be good inshaAllah.

Wolfn: if you or any other Muslim who has a mental health condition would like to write an article about your experiences or other issues related to you living with the condition and/or the Muslim community's attitudes to your condition or mental health in general, or anything along those lines you'd be more than welcome inshaAllah. Articles can all be contributed anonymously if desired, or you can say who you are, it's your choice inshaAllah. PM me inshaAllah. And if you don't want to that's fine, it's not compulsory lol... just if you wanted to raise awareness, etc.
                    Last edited by dhak1yya; 11-09-11, 10:36 AM.

Comment

:masha: Wolfn Want To Write Some Thing ? About It?

Salaah Reminders

الله أعلم

Comment

Originally posted by Umm_Adam_ View Post
                        :salams

Would You Agree There Isnt Enough Awareness About Mental Health In The Ummah Today ?

its Still Seen As A Taboo Subject, :masha: There Is Islamic Counselling Services. But there Isnt Any Indivdual Groups Or Awareness About It.

Most Of The Time I Hear If Your Mentality Ill Due To Your Weak Emaan, Or Jinn - Ayn Evil Eye.

But It Does Exist In Islaam.

How Could I Or We Do To Raise Awareness ? Ideas Please ?
                        wow thats so strange a few days ago I posted on the forum here, looking for people who wanted to join me in making a site for us with a particular aim, but it didnt work out.

I read here great ideas for a place of our own,looking foward to it.glad ummah took this subject it is really important one.

Comment

Here's the blog: http://notpossessed.wordpress.com/

a
                          nd the facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Im-not...65971853425242 please like the page even if you don't have mental health problems, and please read the blog too, because it's about raising awareness, and it;s something everyone should understand about inshaAllah.

Comment

Originally posted by IbnulQayyim View Post
                            i only know of two muslim psychologists.
                            I'm in training. I come across so many people and what sad to see
                            Is the majority of them are Muslim brothers and sisters.

Brothers come with social issues
                            Whereas sisters issues centre around the family home.

There are Duas for stress and depression which is the highest amongst the
                            British Asian communities. Last I heard the highest suicide rate was in Asian
                            Pakistani women.
                            Plz excuse if this is wrong has been nearly a year
                            For being I'm full time education

Awareness well blog is right way To go abt it. Fb page is good too.
                            On forums when pple pour their hearts out they often get ignored :(
                            Unless they ask a specific question. To acknowledge someone greif
                            And be part of it is also sunnat. Then will caring nature try to get them to
                            Be more positive. As I don't know the people behind the threads I tend to take
                            A caring approach whereas others give a tough love talking. Refrain from doin this
                            Unless they ask for it. Because u don't know that persons mental state of mind.

The ideas on the blog are great.
                            We are human but half the cases I come across are due to lack of
                            Knowledge of the deen or practice of it by parents.
                            Children who know more then parents but can't win a situation due to
                            Obedien nature even though they are well within their rights to not obey
                            Their parents ie. Delaying marriage etc

W.salaam
                            Last edited by BeReal; 06-10-11, 10:10 PM.

Comment

I agree with you about the problem of families where kids are put in really bad situations due to their parents ignorance of the deen :( seen that a lot myself just from being on this forum, and in all honesty it doesn't surpise me that the suicide rate is so high among Pakistani women, and that alone should be a wake up call for people to abandon jahil cultural ways and attitudes that are causing so much harm and oppression in their society.

But the blog is not about teaching families how to impliment the deen in their daily lives (that's for another blog, and much needed though!), and there are lots of Muslims who are not pakistani who have their own set of issues. It's about raising awareness of all kinds of mental illness, whether they're caused by stress/life events or are genetic and beyond anyone's control, or whatever. The main thing IMO is to lift the stigma so that Muslims can get help and support regardless of what problem they have, AND to make Muslims aware of how their own attitudes towards mental illness may actually increase the suffering of those who have mental health problems, and how much harm the stigma itself does, as in preventing people who need help from getting help, so prolonging their suffering for years and years, maybe even resulting in them committing suicide when they could have been helped. Also it's to enable Muslims to find Muslim counsellors/psychologists/psychiatrists, so when you're qualified inshaAllah I'll be very happy to list you as someone people can go to for help inshaAllah.

The issue you raise about how people behave towards their family members does come into it, because it can be a cause of bad mental health, however it's not the main focus of the blog and blogs are more successful when they maintain focus on one specific thing. Also, better awareness of mental health in general inshaAllah will make the next generation more aware of how their behaviour can cause such intense suffering to others and inshaAllah behave better and pay more attention to Islam because of it.
                              Last edited by dhak1yya; 07-10-11, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X