A little help with a friend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little help with a friend

Salaams to All.. And Eid Mubarak to you and your family !

Ok, today I had one of my best friends wish me Eid Mubarak (this friend, sadly, is not a muslim). Anyways, my friend will be expecting me to return the wishes on their festival (which happens to be tomorrow). Problem is that the festival is "Ganesha Chathurthi" (this is a Hindu festival where idols are worshipped).

I know that I should not be wishing them on their festivals - especially this one. Could you please give me some advice on how to handle this situation diplomatically...

Ps. Since this friend is a colleague at work, we are going to meet for sure, so there's no way I can avoid the situation.

Re: A little help with a friend

Wa Alaikum Salaam,

I usually just say happy holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by energy View Post
      Salaams to All.. And Eid Mubarak to you and your family !

Ok, today I had one of my best friends wish me Eid Mubarak (this friend, sadly, is not a muslim). Anyways, my friend will be expecting me to return the wishes on their festival (which happens to be tomorrow). Problem is that the festival is "Ganesha Chathurthi" (this is a Hindu festival where idols are worshipped).

I know that I should not be wishing them on their festivals - especially this one. Could you please give me some advice on how to handle this situation diplomatically...

Ps. Since this friend is a colleague at work, we are going to meet for sure, so there's no way I can avoid the situation.
      wa alaykumus salaam,

explain to them calmly and with the best manners that muslims can only offer such wishes for our own religious rites, not the rites of others as it would be the same as saying 'happy disbelief day!'

that we should only encourage people in good, and not in things with disagree with.

generally if you explain before hand its easier, and they respect that. though not always.

Comment

:wswrwb:

I say happy holidays or have a good one.

Comment

wa alaykum asalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu,

A little while back my closest friend was of the Hindu faith. She'd always wish me a happy Eid and stuff but I couldn't bring myself to say the same back for her festivals however rude it seemed. I just avoided it , didn't bring it up, acted like I had no idea.

Can't you do the same or will he suggest it to you on the low or something ?
          Is it that hard to not mention it.
          'And when a thing for which you ask is slow to come,
          Then know that often through delay are gifts received'
          علي الحبشي

Comment

Originally posted by Sirius View Post
            wa alaykum asalam warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu,

A little while back my closest friend was of the Hindu faith. She'd always wish me a happy Eid and stuff but I couldn't bring myself to say the same back for her festivals however rude it seemed. I just avoided it , didn't bring it up, acted like I had no idea.

Can't you do the same or will he suggest it to you on the low or something ?
            Is it that hard to not mention it.
            and now that is what I call a wasted da'wah opportunity.

Comment

Working...
            X