Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you allowed to study Theology - i.e Philosophy and ethics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you allowed to study Theology - i.e Philosophy and ethics?

Salaam,

I want to do it at college but I've heard that it's not recommended? Is this true?

Re: Are you allowed to study Theology - i.e Philosophy and ethics?

Salam

Theo is Greek for God, from the word Theos.

So theology means the study of God.

Question you have to ask yourself is:

Do I know enough of Islamic theology, so much so that I can study other concepts of God?

Remember, maybe one day Allah will ask you - why did you spend money learning theories concerning Allah which are not true and deviant beliefs when you didn't even educate yourself about Allah in Islam?

Do Istikhara brother.
    Oh Allah, please make my best day the Day I meet You to answer for my sins, and please have mercy on the believers on the Day our deeds will be judged

Comment

By college I'm not referring to university. I'm thinking of doing it for one of my A-level options.
      Anyway, yeah I understand your perspective. I just find it interesting, but i guess it might conflict with islamic principles.

Comment

It's not recommended because it can put some crazy idea's in your head, and your in danger of falling into the catagory where people end up twisting their religion or "trying to understand" deep aspects of it. Petty stuff like "Does God have Hands?" etc.

Unless your looking to be some Scholar with high imaan, who wants to learn these things to be able to get into a dialogue with others, then it's not really recommended.
        A Fast Growing Islamic Search Website -

www.Searching-Islam.com

Comment

Only if you've studied Aqeedah well and your teacher gives you permission.
          ‎"Listen with the ears of tolerance. See through the eyes of compassion. Speak with the language of love."
          Rumi RahimuAllah.

Comment

I got Philosophy classes for my A-level as it is mandatory. Im not brainswashed and i can assure that no one "saw the light" by reading Nietzsche or Hegel. Mostly because people just don't care. People need to stop being scared of books
            My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername
            Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

Originally posted by Massilia View Post
              I got Philosophy classes for my A-level as it is mandatory. Im not brainswashed and i can assure that no one "saw the light" by reading Nietzsche or Hegel. Mostly because people just don't care. People need to stop being scared of books
              No one's scared of books, people are simply saying that your time and knowledge can be spent better.

www.Searching-Islam.com

Comment

Originally posted by pluie View Post
                Salaam,

I want to do it at college but I've heard that it's not recommended? Is this true?

Do what you have to do. There is nothing wrong with learning something that conflicts with Islam as long as you do not believe in it. If you believe in Allah, then all is fine. Why should mythology swerve your thoughts? If it does, then I don't think you had enough Iman to begin with. I learnt mythology in grade 8, but that didn't swerve me. I had Muslim friends who got angry hearing about mythological gods but whats to get angry about? They aren't real, so why should they bother any true Muslim?

Say Istighfar if you feel that you may say something wrong against Allah. I just did a Greek Mythology course in summer school and it only left me asking the question, "How do I learn more about Islam enough to prove that it is not part of myth but separate from everything else? How do I go on finding proofs to show that it is truthful and distinct?"

Remember that on coming across any Western philosophies which question religion seems to swerve your thinking or that learning science does that as well in questioning the existence of God and in thoughts of negativity towards religion, then recite the first ten verses of Surah Al Kahf. They mention the lies of believing that Allah has any sons. these ideas which influence Muslims too easily (those with weak faith in the first place) are of the Dajjaliyyat of this age. To protect yourself, recite the first ten verses of Surah Al Kahf which are about just this sort of thing.

But why not study it? Instead of looking at it negatively, try and use these disciplines to further enhance the proofs of Islam and use them to further the cause rather than looking at them as only a means of retarding it. In the end, only Allah decides whether you continue to be a believer or a disbeliever, so just pray to Him and go ahead and tread the path you wish to walk on carefully and don't fall off. Be neutral towards it, don't let it influence your thinking. You learn things to gain knowledge, not to let everything influence you.

Comment

Originally posted by Perseveranze View Post
                  No one's scared of books, people are simply saying that your time and knowledge can be spent better.
                  Everything can be "spent better". If i sit on in a park to relax i could be doing charity work, when i do charity work i could be reading the Quran, when i learn to cook i could be learning to sew etc... etc... There is a time for everything you just need to organize yourself.
                  Why is it that things which were studied under caliphate have problems today?
                  One only Muslim man studied deen, history, sciences, Greek philosophy, physics, medecine and even literature. How do you refute others when they attack Islam when you don't know their own "philosophy".

Oh by the way, we're philosphying in this thread.
                  Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

Everything can be "spent better". If i sit on in a park to relax i could be doing charity work, when i do charity work i could be reading the Quran, when i learn to cook i could be learning to sew etc... etc... There is a time for everything you just need to organize yourself.
                    One only Muslim man studied deen, history, sciences, Greek philosophy, physics, medecine and even literature. How do you refute others when they attack Islam when you don't know their own "philosophy".

Very good point. Many Muslim scholars in the time of the Islamic Empire even commented on a lot of the Greek philosophical texts. But I think the influence of this question is the modern extremist Islamic point of view. I noticed that a lot of people are influence by this ideology.

Comment

Originally posted by .Abu.Rambo. View Post
                      Only if you've studied Aqeedah well and your teacher gives you permission.
                      Idk about getting permission, but snap to the rest, really.

Despite really having enjoyed reading about Philosophy when I was younger, it was obvious it could be detrimental to someone who doesn't know much about Islam (more specifically Aqeedah). So bear this in mind.
                      Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, thabbit qalbi 'alaa Deenik
                      O' Converter of Hearts, make my heart steadfast upon Thy Way
                      We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Comment

Studying philosophy is haraam to many ulema especially the Salaf.

Censure of Kalaam:

Comment

agree with abu rambo, soliquy or something lolz, and ahaneefah
                          Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
                          فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Comment

Yeah but I'm talking in general terms. Unless you want a career in Philosophy, maybe a scholar or debater or something, then there's hardly any point is there?

And believe me, some people for some reason get some crazy idea's and try to shape their religion towards their own understanding (based on their own Philosophy).
                            Last edited by Perseveranze; 27-08-11, 07:53 PM.

www.Searching-Islam.com

Comment

Originally posted by Perseveranze View Post
                              Yeah but I'm talking in general terms. Unless you want a career in Philosophy, maybe a scholar or debater or something, then there's hardly any point is there?

And believe me, some people for some reason get some crazy idea's and try to shape their religion towards their own understanding (based on their own Philosophy).
                              I studied a bit of economics without going into this career, it's just for general culture, and know what people can talk about. Philosophy is like ok this guy think that, ad he sees things like that, and that's it. Plus there are a lot of subjects in philosophy, there is economic philosophy, history, science, technology, politics etc...
                              And if people shape their religion according to philosophy then they missed the purpose of the subject. And are stupid too.

It doesn't teach you to change your ideas or beliefs, but rather how to articulate them in an argumentative manner.

Comment

Working...
                              X