Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 diet foods that can make you fat

Top 10 diet foods that can make you fat

When totting up our daily intake of calories, many of us forget to take into account those that come in liquid form. However, the drinks you consume throughout the day can vastly contribute to weight gain. While smoothies and juices count towards your daily intake of fruit (and swapping fry-ups for a morning smoothie would certainly do wonders for your waistline!) supplementing meals with these sugary fruit drinks could add hundreds of extra calories on to your daily intake. Smoothies and juices contain more sugar but less fibre than whole fruit, making fresh fruit a much better snacking option.
    Cereal bars

Many of us believe that cereal bars are the perfect healthy snack and breakfast-on-the-go. However, most breakfast bars are packed with cane sugar and corn syrup, not to mention high levels of fat. In fact, despite their healthy image, cereal bars can contain as much fat, sugar and calories as an average chocolate bar, and can cause crashes in blood sugar levels which will leave you craving more food.
    Dried fruit

As with smoothies and juices, dried fruit has many beneficial properties and counts towards your daily intake of fruit. However, due to the concentration of sugars that occurs when fruit is dehydrated, it is also very high in calories and sugar when compared to the same amount of fresh fruit, and is much lower in fibre and nutrients. On top of this, many brands add sugar to dried fruit to improve the flavour, which boosts the calorie content even further.
    Diet drinks

Many of us turn to sugar-free versions of our favourite drinks to help stay trim, yet diet drinks may actually be causing you to pile on the pounds. Research by the Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio found that those who consumed diet drinks daily experienced a 70 per cent greater increase in waist circumference than those who drank none, while a previous study showed that obesity risk increased by 41 per cent for each diet drink consumed. A suggested reason for this is that artificial sweeteners trigger appetite, and they may also inhibit the brain cells that make you feel full.
    Salads

Soup

While soup can be the perfect weight loss food when prepared correctly, not all soups fall into the diet food category. In fact, many soups can rack up a significant amount of fat and calories, particularly those containing dairy products such as cream or cheese. On top of that, many soups are very high in salt, which can lead to bloating. To help stay trim and cut calories, try purchasing (or better yet, making your own) vegetable-based and cream-free soups.
    Dips

Hummus is often perceived as the perfect diet-friendly dip. However, while the healthy snack is undoubtedly nutritious, it is also packed with calories and fat from its principle ingredients of oil and tahini. Another dip for dieters to watch out for is guacamole which, while traditionally packed with nutrients and good fats, often contains calorie-laden double cream. While most dips can be eaten in moderation, if you want to splurge guilt-free go for a homemade tomato salsa which is packed with nutritious ingredients and is almost fat-free.
    Vegetable crisps

Popcorn

Air-popped popcorn is a great nutritious, high-fibre and diet-friendly snack. However, when butter is added into the equation, the tasty snack can quickly lose its healthy credentials. Store-bought and cinema popcorn can be extremely high in fat and calories due to its liberal coating of butter and/or sugar, and is often also served in large quantities. Furthermore, as the TV-friendly snack is often eaten in front of a screen, we can easily consume far more than we intend to due to mindless snacking.
    Granola

http://in.lifestyle.yahoo.com/10-die...094200516.html
    Where there are no Ulemah(Scholars) there are many Muftis.

I
    deal System of Living for All Mankind .

Re: Top 10 diet foods that can make you fat

Nice sharing.
    I will advice you that try going vegetarian. You will cut back on the fat. This kind of diet is the safest and healthiest diet.. but you have to eat veggies, fruit, grains, and protein alternatives.

Comment

Good read :jkk:
      :lailah:

This world is all work no real pleasure; the Hereafter is ALL pleasure, no work! ;)

:ahb:

Comment

Originally posted by Coleman15 View Post
        Nice sharing.
        I will advice you that try going vegetarian. You will cut back on the fat. This kind of diet is the safest and healthiest diet.. but you have to eat veggies, fruit, grains, and protein alternatives.
        subhanAllah i really dislike it when people say this.

if you live an active muslim life, as we all should, then fat will not be an issue.

the sahabah, heck any body from over 300 years ago and back, ate fat. like just stright up fat. but because they lived an active life, they were fit an healthy.

instead of a "protien alternative" i much prefer the protien because Allah made it halal and thats the more natural way to get protein. the way it was intended to be gained. if eating beef was harmfull to us Allah would not have allowed it.

whats harmfull to us is our lifestyle. and thats what it boils down to.
        painful torment? (10) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Comment

I agree ^^^
          I basically eat everything that is on this list lol except popcorn too it's too american for me lol, on the other side i walk a lot so i limit the damage. But i'll never cut dried fruits or biscuits or sugar, i can't live without them
          My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername :o
          Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

Nice sharing.
            I know quite a few fat vegetarians.

It doesn't matter if you eat meat or not.

The important thing is to stick with lean meats and whole grains.
            (Surah Az Zumar, (Chapter 39: Verse 53)

Comment

Originally posted by uncle umar View Post
              subhanAllah i really dislike it when people say this.

if you live an active muslim life, as we all should, then fat will not be an issue.

the sahabah, heck any body from over 300 years ago and back, ate fat. like just stright up fat. but because they lived an active life, they were fit an healthy.

instead of a "protien alternative" i much prefer the protien because Allah made it halal and thats the more natural way to get protein. the way it was intended to be gained. if eating beef was harmfull to us Allah would not have allowed it.

whats harmfull to us is our lifestyle. and thats what it boils down to.
              That's correct .
              Where there are no Ulemah(Scholars) there are many Muftis.

I
              deal System of Living for All Mankind .

Comment

Nice sharing.
                no it isnt ....

Comment

Originally posted by Massilia View Post
                  I agree ^^^
                  I basically eat everything that is on this list lol except popcorn too it's too american for me lol, on the other side i walk a lot so i limit the damage. But i'll never cut dried fruits or biscuits or sugar, i can't live without them
                  Ya gotta be kiddin me!!

I luv popcorn

Comment

Most of the list I agree with, however the problem with this article is that it's equating low calorie with healthy a lot of the time. Some of the foods in the list, such as salads and dips like hummus are extremely healthy. Yes salad dressing contains oil, as does hummus, but it's healthy oil, which is an essential nutrient and one of the number 1 things that makes people fail at fat loss is not eating enough healthy fat. Salad dressing made from extra virgin olive oil is not only extremely healthy, it helps to satisfy your body's need for fat - which it needs just as much as it needs protein, vitamins and minerals - and getting enough healthy fat stops cravings for fatty foods. High in calories does not always mean unhealthy and it does not always mean it won't help you lose fat. It's far more benficial to make the distinction between healthy fats and unhealthy fats and limit carbs instead (note I said limit, not eliminate)

As for restaurant choices, the salad, despite its oily, sugary dressing, will still be a healthier and lower calorie option than a burger and a huge pile of chips (aka french fries). Some restaurants offer low carb choices, e.g. steak and salad. This is a very good choice as the steak and the salad (including its dressing) will nourish your body and you don't need the carbs in a meal like that.

Also, exercise is a more important factor than what you eat, because if you just try to starve off the fat without doing exercise, you'll lose muscle as well as fat and that slows your metabolism making it harder to keep the fat off long term. (another classic mistake that keeps people obese long term.)

As a rough rule of thumb for what is/is not healthy, food the way Allah made it is healthy. Food in packets from factories is not healthy. Try to make your own food from scratch using natural ingredients, and to limit how much processed food you buy. Then in order to lose fat, do more exercise and eat smaller portions of carbs. Cutting carbs out in the evenings is a good strategy. Cutting healthy fat out of your diet is a recipe for massive cravings for unhealthy food and finding it really difficult to stick to your eating plan. This is because your body needs a certain amount of fat. However, how many carbs you need depends on how active you are. Unless you are a marathon runner, you don't need a huge amount of carbs. You should eat carbs at breakfast and also in meals before exercising. You don't need carbs in every meal. Also choose healthy carbs (wholegrain, potatoes especially sweet potatoes) and limit white carbs (white sugar, white flour products) to special treats only. You'll know if you're not getting enough carbs when you exercise as you'll feel exhausted too quickly and unable to do your usual workout. If you've had enough carbs you'll be able to do a good workout (i.e. good for your level of fitness).
                    [CENTER]
                    [/CENTER]
                    [CENTER]
                    [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Okay first of all, whilst I agree with most of that top ten list of hidden calorie foods, I totally disagree with singling out hummous as a 'bad' food. Hummous is very good, nutritious and yes tahini is oily and fattening, but hummous mostly consists of chickpeas and a bunch of other stuff and only a little tahini. A little bit of natural fat is harmless, even for dieters.

Secondly, going vegetarian in itself wont necessarily aid weightloss. There are plenty of fattening vegetarian and vegan foods out there (think pakoray, samosay, pooris, channay and halwa for starters). One thing I will point out though is that whilst it's not the way of the Sunnah to switch to a completely vegetarian diet- it's also not in keeping with the sunnah to eat as much meat as most Muslims in the west seem to. Generally speaking a large proportion of Muslims (especially those living in the west or those from wealthier families) eat too much meat and waaaay over and above the proportion that was considered as adequate and appropriate in the diet of the Prophet (saw) and Sahaba (ra)- that's my opinion but by all means look it up and prove me wrong if you think that's incorrect. This is on top of the fact that the Prophet (saw) advocated kind treatment of animals in the way that they are reared as well as in the way that they are slaughtered- but nowadays for the sake of saving money people resort to buying battery farmed meat (as long as the throat is slit and bismillah is said) without considering the sorts of drugs, hormones and poor conditions in which the animal is kept that then ends up in our bodies and surely can't be healthy either.

Such eating habits (of consuming excessive poorly reared meat) are unhealthy, possibly contributing to the increase in diabetes and other lifestyle related illnesses especially in the South Asian Muslim community. Just to give you an example, statistics suggest that Muslims in the UK eat MORE meat during ramadan than other times of year. This suggests that they prepare rich feasts on a regular basis, during the month in which we are meant to be thinking of the poor who have to go without food all day- a time during which we should be keeping things simple and show a little humility. Is that the way of the Sunnah?
                      The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by dhakiyya View Post
                        Most of the list I agree with, however the problem with this article is that it's equating low calorie with healthy a lot of the time. Some of the foods in the list, such as salads and dips like hummus are extremely healthy. Yes salad dressing contains oil, as does hummus, but it's healthy oil, which is an essential nutrient and one of the number 1 things that makes people fail at fat loss is not eating enough healthy fat. Salad dressing made from extra virgin olive oil is not only extremely healthy, it helps to satisfy your body's need for fat - which it needs just as much as it needs protein, vitamins and minerals - and getting enough healthy fat stops cravings for fatty foods. High in calories does not always mean unhealthy and it does not always mean it won't help you lose fat. It's far more benficial to make the distinction between healthy fats and unhealthy fats and limit carbs instead (note I said limit, not eliminate)

As for restaurant choices, the salad, despite its oily, sugary dressing, will still be a healthier and lower calorie option than a burger and a huge pile of chips (aka french fries). Some restaurants offer low carb choices, e.g. steak and salad. This is a very good choice as the steak and the salad (including its dressing) will nourish your body and you don't need the carbs in a meal like that.

Also, exercise is a more important factor than what you eat, because if you just try to starve off the fat without doing exercise, you'll lose muscle as well as fat and that slows your metabolism making it harder to keep the fat off long term. (another classic mistake that keeps people obese long term.)

As a rough rule of thumb for what is/is not healthy, food the way Allah made it is healthy. Food in packets from factories is not healthy. Try to make your own food from scratch using natural ingredients, and to limit how much processed food you buy. Then in order to lose fat, do more exercise and eat smaller portions of carbs. Cutting carbs out in the evenings is a good strategy. Cutting healthy fat out of your diet is a recipe for massive cravings for unhealthy food and finding it really difficult to stick to your eating plan. This is because your body needs a certain amount of fat. However, how many carbs you need depends on how active you are. Unless you are a marathon runner, you don't need a huge amount of carbs. You should eat carbs at breakfast and also in meals before exercising. You don't need carbs in every meal. Also choose healthy carbs (wholegrain, potatoes especially sweet potatoes) and limit white carbs (white sugar, white flour products) to special treats only. You'll know if you're not getting enough carbs when you exercise as you'll feel exhausted too quickly and unable to do your usual workout. If you've had enough carbs you'll be able to do a good workout (i.e. good for your level of fitness).
                        Do u always have to write so loooong posts? how about some one liners sometime. It's ramadaan give us a break, our eyes are also fasting.

Comment

Theres nothing wrong eating these foods. Just eat it in moderation and small portions.

But I would not recommend diet drinks. Even if you are not trying to lose weight

Comment

Originally posted by Blossom1x View Post
                            Theres nothing wrong eating these foods. Just eat it in moderation and small portions.
                            I disagree, I think the OP makes some fair points. I find a lot of 'diet' foods are really unhealthy. Many are packed with sugar to compensate for the lack of flavour due to the lack of fat and most are packed with artificial additives as well to compensate for the lack of fat. It's much more unhealthy than fat but just so that they can label it as 'low fat' or 'low calories' they dump a bunch of dodgy chemicals in. I'm very distrustful of cereal bars as well as those diet snacks, crispy bite thingies- not the least bit healthy but just there to fulfil snack cravings with rubbish and people have snack cravings in the first place cos' they're calorie counting and therefore often not eating good wholesome foods (containing a bit of healthy fat n reasonable calories) in the main meals and it becomes a vicious cycle.

I agree with your point about drinks though. I think at least 90% of drinks in the shops are unhealthy (that's not even including the alcohol drinks!). The diet ones contain very lethal stuff like saccharine, aspartame and tartrazine, the non diet ones are full of sugar. The only drinks I know of that are reasonable to drink are: water, (then in moderation); tea (especially herbal like green tea or red bush), milk (preferably organic, preferably goat milk), juices (freshly squeezed not from concentrate and preferably not more than one glass a day) and smoothie (using good fresh fruits and not cheating by adding sugar or stuff like that)... a glass of lassi in the summer in moderation isn't inherently bad either.

It's the other drinks I can't stand; the so called flavoured waters which are just water with sugar and usually artificial flavours, the fizzy drinks, the rubbish that is marketed as 'healthy' such as the 'juice drinks' which are basically juices with a lot of added sugar and also bear in mind the 'sports' drinks are only worthwhile and healthy if you actually live a very healthy and sporty lifestyle. Don't even get me started on the dangers of red bull! Imo if someone wants to start a lifestyle involving better dietary habits then the first place to start is by avoiding these drinks. The odd can of fizzy pop at a wedding or special occassion is one thing, but as a regular habit it's really nasty stuff as well as addictive- so I think that's the best place to start. The rest of the changes can come later inshallah.
                            The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
                              I disagree, I think the OP makes some fair points. I find a lot of 'diet' foods are really unhealthy. Many are packed with sugar to compensate for the lack of flavour due to the lack of fat and most are packed with artificial additives as well to compensate for the lack of fat. It's much more unhealthy than fat but just so that they can label it as 'low fat' or 'low calories' they dump a bunch of dodgy chemicals in. I'm very distrustful of cereal bars as well as those diet snacks, crispy bite thingies- not the least bit healthy but just there to fulfil snack cravings with rubbish and people have snack cravings in the first place cos' they're calorie counting and therefore often not eating good wholesome foods (containing a bit of healthy fat n reasonable calories) in the main meals and it becomes a vicious cycle.

I agree with your point about drinks though. I think at least 90% of drinks in the shops are unhealthy (that's not even including the alcohol drinks!). The diet ones contain very lethal stuff like saccharine, aspartame and tartrazine, the non diet ones are full of sugar. The only drinks I know of that are reasonable to drink are: water, (then in moderation); tea (especially herbal like green tea or red bush), milk (preferably organic, preferably goat milk), juices (freshly squeezed not from concentrate and preferably not more than one glass a day) and smoothie (using good fresh fruits and not cheating by adding sugar or stuff like that)... a glass of lassi in the summer in moderation isn't inherently bad either.

It's the other drinks I can't stand; the so called flavoured waters which are just water with sugar and usually artificial flavours, the fizzy drinks, the rubbish that is marketed as 'healthy' such as the 'juice drinks' which are basically juices with a lot of added sugar and also bear in mind the 'sports' drinks are only worthwhile and healthy if you actually live a very healthy and sporty lifestyle. Don't even get me started on the dangers of red bull! Imo if someone wants to start a lifestyle involving better dietary habits then the first place to start is by avoiding these drinks. The odd can of fizzy pop at a wedding or special occassion is one thing, but as a regular habit it's really nasty stuff as well as addictive- so I think that's the best place to start. The rest of the changes can come later inshallah.
                              I agree, there are some "health" foods that have dangerous chemicals such as apartame which is very bad for your body and sucrose etc and I think its better to eat real fruit rather than dried fruit. Its just the foods that are better eaten in moderation are the popcorn but without the butter. And diet drink are just horrible, they don't even fill you up.

And I did see a drink once where it said that there was practicaly no sugar in it and low in fat but in the ingredients the sweetner was hundred times more sweeter then sugar. Thats why people shoud ignore "low fat" products they are usually high in sugar.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X