Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do you do/say when you're not fasting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sis_niqabi
    replied
    Originally posted by Medievalist View Post
    She shouldn't be eating infront of people, especially if it's going to cause this awkwardness. When the woman is excused from fasting then she must not fast and rather she eats in a discreet manner - e.g. eating in a room where no1 else is or taking food upto her own room in a discreet manner. Modesty is such a beautiful thing.
    The thing you can eat in another but sometimes family members walk in. For example I will go in another room to eat but if one of my family members walk in the room they will see me eating and they get offended or anything.

I don't know people think its awkward when a woman is on her period. Font have to duck and dodge if your not fasting during ramadan. It is something natural nothing shameful. And of course your family will know when you are not fasting because you didn't wake up for sahoor or fajer.

And the Sahabiyats were not shy about talking about menses. And they are much more modest than any sister among the ummah today.

Leave a comment:

• *asiya*
    replied
    Re: what do you do/say when you're not fasting?

Originally posted by Soliloquy View Post
    I've never heard that you "shouldn't eat much"..?

Not that you really can, seeing as you're pretty much in fasting mode, but you really should have proper meals (esp. if you're one of those that gets cramps and such).
    i checked up on this and the shaikh explained that the only reason u dont eat in public when fasting, is that someone might doubt your reason for not fasting so as not to cause suspicion its better not to do that, but in your own home, then theres no issue at all. fasting is ibaddah, ppl who are fasting are not dying to eat, theyre seeking the mercy of Allah ta ala so eating in front of them isnt going to be an issue for them because theyre not interested in eating.

as for the "modesty" argument, the mothers of the beleivers radiAllahu anhuma were more modest than anyone, but they were not afraid to ask questions and seek answers about menses, in front of rasoolAllah :saw: and other men of the sahabbah. there is no shame in men knowing what menses are and that women have them, and if theyre not fasting then thats probably why.

Leave a comment:

• Ebony
    replied

Simple response of "she's not fasting because she isn't well" when they are under 10 years of age. Once they hit puberty and (still) ask these questions, then you can tell them women are excused from fasting and praying during certain times of the month.

They might ask not because she's eating infront of everyone, but she might be in the kitchen preparing herself some food, or didnt wake up for suhoor or perhaps was eating in the kitchen and normally no-one walks in there if they are fasting and of course when you least expect it, someone walks in! I doubt anyone would purposely eat infront of others who are fasting, thats just insensitive.

Leave a comment:

• *hijab*
    replied

Originally posted by Soliloquy View Post
    I'd just say "cause I'm not feeling well." :| (and actually, that would be true!)

Just don't eat in front of someone fasting...
    This

Originally posted by LondonGal View Post
    I still pretend I'm fasting.
    This

Originally posted by Medievalist View Post
    She shouldn't be eating infront of people, especially if it's going to cause this awkwardness. When the woman is excused from fasting then she must not fast and rather she eats in a discreet manner - e.g. eating in a room where no1 else is or taking food upto her own room in a discreet manner. Modesty is such a beautiful thing.
    & this

or just say 'you musnt tell anyone when a womans not fasting, you'll find out when your older' if the kid catches you!

Leave a comment:

• Medievalist
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Soliloquy
    replied

I've never heard that you "shouldn't eat much"..?

Not that you really can, seeing as you're pretty much in fasting mode, but you really should have proper meals (esp. if you're one of those that gets cramps and such).

Leave a comment:

• .mirror.
    replied

Innit?
    Last edited by .mirror.; 21-08-11, 10:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pippin1376
    replied

Tell him the truth, don't be graphic and but say that every month or so, women are exempted from fasting and praying. This is out of Allah's Rahma for them because a lot of stuff is happening to their bodies. If you say something like this is only for adults to know but because he's such a ma shaa' Allah young man, you'll tell him the reason, I'm sure he'll respect you for treating him like an adult and the bond between you will increase.

I've heard that out of respect for the holy month, you shouldn't eat much and in front of others.
    Last edited by Pippin1376; 21-08-11, 10:22 PM. Reason: iPod typing sucks

Leave a comment:

• noobz
    replied

reply or face :boom::boom:

:badguy:

Leave a comment:

• LondonGal
    replied

I still pretend I'm fasting.

Leave a comment:

• Soliloquy
    replied

Never mind, lol, perhaps its best you leave the thread. :|

Leave a comment:

• noobz
    replied

owh , ok .....

but why is every1 assuming that i wouldnt know that? .....

Leave a comment:

• Soliloquy
    replied

^ I think the OP's female.

I'd just say "cause I'm not feeling well." :| (and actually, that would be true!)

Just don't eat in front of someone fasting...

Leave a comment:

• noobz
    replied

Originally posted by -Shamil- View Post
    someone explain this to noobz
    Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
    Explain what exactly?
    Originally posted by x--x View Post
    Why? Is he 8 years old too?
    yeah , why isnt he fasting? ....

Leave a comment:

• .mirror.
    replied

Ok, that should do it. :D

Leave a comment:

Working...
X