Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use of Crystals / Stones for alternative medicine???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of Crystals / Stones for alternative medicine???

Ok..so i might not have worded this correct..but I have a friend that is into using crystals for alternative healing. Such as using obsiden or quartz for stress or for clarity...Some people believe that crystals have a type of energy withing them that aids the body in various ways. Some stone can be used for stress, some to increase the energy..etc. I wanted to know if these things are recognized islamically. I know the quran and prayer can get ride of alot of these things...but i didnt know if stonework was considered haram. It isnt like you are praying with the stone, or to the stone or even using them to rub or what not...but they are used for the energy that they posses.. Anyone know anything about this?

Re: Use of Crystals / Stones for alternative medicine???

if they're like other forms of alternative medicine (you wear them/take them because you think they are medicinal) fine and well. If on the other hand you wear them because you think they'll bring you good luck then you've taken them from a halal usage to a haram one.

ps. you should probably know that crystal 'healing' is a load of cobblers. Unproven rubbish, but so long as you keep it within the framework of 'medicine' and nothing supernatural than you're okay.
    ...sermons from this minbar come with tongue planted quite firmly in cheek.

"Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need -
    a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends,
    worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you,
    a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear,
    and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing."

-- Jerome K. Jerome
    (Three Men in a Boat)

Comment

I don't think it allowed, these some people who claim thse stones and other devices give energy are people who follow new ageism, watered down versions of beleif that incorporate wicca(witchcraft) hindu etc practices.

Comment

I would personally stay far away from it- sounds well dodge innit.
        *~* Learn Patience from Aasiyah (RA); Loyalty from Khadhija (RA); Sincerity from Aisha (RA) and Steadfastness from Fatima (RA).*~*

Comment

try homeopathy instead.
          What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
          Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
          Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
          but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
          but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
          We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
          freedom from slavery to other than the One,
          Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
          and a horizon that extends to the next life,
          Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

“All our handling of the child will bear fruit, not only at the moment, but in the adult they are destined to become.” Donate today! http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Comment

Originally posted by ze leetle elper View Post
            try homeopathy instead.
            Hopefully that's a bit of sarcasm :p

Homeopathy is about the same level as all the other 'alternative' therapies including this crystal stuff. Codswallop...until of course it, inexplicably, works, so I wouldn't knock one but not the other.

Both of them are scientific rubbish, but you find people who will swear that they have seen both work. I know people who will first hand tell you that homeopathy works. I think I've seen a case where it worked - doesn't mean I'm going to stop considering it scientific rubbish, but as rubbish goes it can work.

Placebo - people tend to look down on placebos but the fact is if they work then you're better off with it instead of an actual drug. If it doesn't work then don't be too disheartened as it is just distilled water/random bit of crystal. Just don't take them in an emergency or for an acute condition.

-- Jerome K. Jerome
            (Three Men in a Boat)

Comment

Its called Ulum al-Jamahir, there are two distinct variation of the medicinal and therapeutic priniples, the most prominent being Abu Rayhan al-Biruni and the other IBn Sina. The science is based on the temperaments contained within the precious stones and minerals which produce certain theraputic remedy
              "The objective behind Shari'ah is to liberate individuals from his desires in order to be a true Abd (slave) of Allah and that is the legitimate Maslaha... Violating the Shari'ah under the pretext of following Maqasid al-Shari'ah is like the one who cares about the spirit without the body and since the body without the spirit is useless therefore the spirit without the body is useless too." ~ Imam Shatibi - The greatest intellectual founder of Maqasid al-Shari'ah

Comment

Originally posted by Joha View Post
                Hopefully that's a bit of sarcasm :p

Homeopathy is about the same level as all the other 'alternative' therapies including this crystal stuff. Codswallop...until of course it, inexplicably, works, so I wouldn't knock one but not the other.

Both of them are scientific rubbish, but you find people who will swear that they have seen both work. I know people who will first hand tell you that homeopathy works. I think I've seen a case where it worked - doesn't mean I'm going to stop considering it scientific rubbish, but as rubbish goes it can work.

Placebo - people tend to look down on placebos but the fact is if they work then you're better off with it instead of an actual drug. If it doesn't work then don't be too disheartened as it is just distilled water/random bit of crystal. Just don't take them in an emergency or for an acute condition.
                No, it wasn't. You are entitled to your own opinion, doesn't mean we all have to share it.

Not going to bother arguing or debating this point as you obviously have no vested interest in actually knowing more about it (as oppose to a few random articles read and conclusion formed I assume.)
                What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
                Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
                Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
                but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
                but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
                We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
                freedom from slavery to other than the One,
                Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
                and a horizon that extends to the next life,
                Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

“All our handling of the child will bear fruit, not only at the moment, but in the adult they are destined to become.” Donate today! http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Comment

Originally posted by ze leetle elper View Post
                  No, it wasn't. You are entitled to your own opinion, doesn't mean we all have to share it.

Not going to bother arguing or debating this point as you obviously have no vested interest in actually knowing more about it (as oppose to a few random articles read and conclusion formed I assume.)
                  I know it wasn't...I'd rather not argue about it either, but with all due respect I haven't just read a few articles and I don't have a vested interest. I would love it if there was scientific evidence for homeopathy. It would be one of the most exciting times for Science, we'll have shown how at least one fundamental law of nature needs to be changed. Nothing could be more thrilling.

But I've searched high and low and I haven't found any (except for the nature paper by Benveniste on the memory of water - unfortunately that experiment wasn't repeated successfully, and it broke/violated a few fundamental laws of Physics, laws so fundamental and so successful that they would need repeated successful experiments before you could consider abandoning them).

But having said that, as I made clear I believe homeopathy can work. How? I don't know.

But if somebody asked me to justify it scientifically I'd have the gravest difficulty in doing so. Which is why it falls in the same category for me as other alternative therapies and which is why in an emergency don't rely on it. It isn't guaranteed, unlike for instance a poison like cyanide, or a medicine like morphine, to do anything to your body!

The best explanation I can come up with is that they're good placebos. Nothing wrong with that, but unless more evidence comes out they'll remain like that.

Are there any references you've got more recent than Benveniste?

-- Jerome K. Jerome
                  (Three Men in a Boat)

Comment

Thanks for all of the great feedback....I am a nurse and throughout nursing school we were "introduced" to homeopathy and the use of stone and other alternative medicines...we had an instructor that was deep into meditation and stones and also a massage therapist in our class.....I am really surprised at the depth of knowledge re: studies by some of the posters..it is greatly appreciated. Will give me something to research. Thanks alot.

Comment

If there's scientific basis and backing for the treatment then it would be under normal medicine and nowt wrong with it, but if it's just some mythical thing about birth-stones and the like then it's rubbish. In our community some people place a lot on what stones are "good" for you depending on your star-sign. Islam does away with all this. Stones don't do anything.
                      Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Comment

http://www.islamtheabsolutetruth.com/gem.html I found this website while searching..thought it would be of interest to any of those interested :)

Comment

here is a link that you might find interesting http://wup-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7943

Comment

Originally posted by anahajara View Post
                            Ok..so i might not have worded this correct..but I have a friend that is into using crystals for alternative healing. Such as using obsiden or quartz for stress or for clarity...Some people believe that crystals have a type of energy withing them that aids the body in various ways. Some stone can be used for stress, some to increase the energy..etc. I wanted to know if these things are recognized islamically. I know the quran and prayer can get ride of alot of these things...but i didnt know if stonework was considered haram. It isnt like you are praying with the stone, or to the stone or even using them to rub or what not...but they are used for the energy that they posses.. Anyone know anything about this?
                            I'll be serious when I say this: This is the biggest pile of lies I have ever heard. Crystals curing people? I know Allah has created a cure for every sickness. But by Crystals?

if there is ever some scientific proof for this then i would gladly give it. But i don't think any right-minded student of medicine would give this a second thought. I don't study medicine, but I know that it is absolute baloney to think that there is some sort of energy transfer that heals.

I think you should ask around if anyone knows more about this, but I think you shouldn't waste your time on it. Look into natural medicine. Nature has provided a lot of solutions we humans don't know about. If Allah has created all the cures for all the ills already, then it goes without saying that all that is in nature has some sort of cure already, its just that we don't know about it. Or, maybe it means the potential to cure, either way, I don't think this is something worth while. I remember reading about it in a book a few weeks ago and realized it was baloney because it was in a book about meditation and other new age stuff.

Fact: Everything new age is a lie, falsehood, rubbish, etc. Any word in the thesaurus to describe useless and worthless is what I'm trying to say. Don't give it the time of day.

Comment

isnt teething powder homeopathy? and it works...dont tell me placebos work on babys?

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
                              (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

Working...
                              X