Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• >>> Help me with my drug addiction..

:salams

I am in need of help with fighting this addicition of mine. The drug in question is the dreaded caffiene :(

I drink two cups of tea a day.

If I don't drink a cup of tea in the morning, by the afternoon I have a brain-busting headache. It's so painful that when I go down for sajdah, the pain is so bad I have to get up quickly.

Now as we're fasting I can't have that cup in the morning so I just did what I have been the last few Ramadans and have a cup for suhoor and that suffices me for the day. But now as the length of the fast has increased, by 7:30- 8:00pm I have this excruciating headache. Even if I have the tea a short while later at Iftar it doesn't help at all. Tea only prevents my headache but cannot cure it at all.

So I end up with the worst headache through the night which badly disrupts my nighttime ibadah as all I can bare to do is sleep. :(

I actually decided to leave tea altogether for last nights Iftar and the suhoor after that in an attempt to give up caffiene "cold turkey". So the whole day so far I've had this murderous headache. After getting back from Duhr at the masjid it seems sajdah has made it worse and now I'm just lying in bed in a lot of pain.

Any tips on dealing with this problem? Has anyone had the same problem and given up caffiene? How long did it take to get off it?

Thanks.
    Allah will ask on the Day of Judgment: (Muslim)

"Zendagi Migzara..."

Re: >>> Help me with my drug addiction..

Go cold turkey...should take 48hrs for the caffeine to leave your system

Comment

Time course of caffeine withdrawal. The caffeine withdrawal syndrome follows an orderly time course. Onset usually occurs 12 to 24 hours after terminating caffeine intake, although onset as late as 36 hours has been documented. Peak withdrawal intensity has generally been described as occurring 20 to 48 hours after abstinence. The duration of withdrawal has most often been described as ranging between 2 days and 1 week, although longer durations have been occasionally noted.
      According to this research it could take even a week! I can't seem to even perform normal daily functions. Don't know how I will handle going to work :S

http://www.caffeinedependence.org/ca...tml#withdrawal

"Zendagi Migzara..."

Comment

my sister said an apple reduces (does not stop) the pain of caffeine headache. I don't know personally, I never had a problem with caffeine.

Comment

I heard it was 48hrs...and u only have 2 coffees :p

Probz a combination of coffee deprivation and dehydration

But I feel for you...last yr I was sent home from work cos my coffee deprivation headache rendered me useless...but alhamdulilah this yr not been too bad

Comment

Subhan'Allah....i had no idea stuff like this could be so bad.

May Allah make it easy for you

Insha'allah for next years try coffee detox a few weeks prior to Ramadhan

Hafsah how are you doing this year, I immediately thought of you when I read this :p
            وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

Lol Jen..alhamdulilah been fine...had a horrible headache and was in mood all day Sunday...but ok now alhamdulilah

Comment

I'm starting to feel nauseous. I really hope I don't puke :(

"Zendagi Migzara..."

Comment

2 cups? thats it?

if ur an addict, then what dose that make me?
                  painful torment? (10) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Comment

also any drug stays in your system for longer then the effect.

so the headaches and stuff will go away before the caffine leaves your system, i think.

in the meantime just try to take it easy. computers generally dont help headaches because of the screen light.
                    painful torment? (10) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

sponsor an orphan

Comment

Originally posted by uncle umar View Post
                      2 cups? thats it?

i was thinking that also, two cups is nothing!
                      82. Verily, when He intends a thing, His Command is, "be", and it is! 83. So glory to Him in Whose hands is the dominion of all things: and to Him will you be all brought back. Quran surah 36: Ya-sin

Comment

Originally posted by Sis_Asiya View Post
                        i was thinking that also, two cups is nothing!
                        we are total coffee crackheads then i suppose.

just inject it into my veins!!!!

sponsor an orphan

Comment

Same issue here. Yesterday being the first day was a nightmare. I always have m coffee before 10:30ish but yesterday I got to work at that time, an hour and a half late but of well. Within an hour I had a headache and just fell asleep onmy office until someone came by with a question and I woke up. It made the feelig worse cuz I was sleepy tired with a headache and no caffeine. Today I have a faint headache im hoping by tomorrow I will be okay. I jut couldn't function at all yesterday.
                          Screaming, But Will Never Be Heard

Comment

Originally posted by uncle umar View Post
                            2 cups? thats it?

It's different for different people. Some people can be effected by as little as 100mg of caffiene per day. Sometimes the onset of the withdrawal starts as quickly as 12 hours as it does for me but for others it can be 36 hours after their last caffiene dose.

Most commonly withdrawal lasts 48 hours but can go for up to a week and some cases longer.

And some people (50%) don't experience headaches at all but instead get nausea, irritability, depression, anxiety and even flu-like symptoms.

Luckily I only get the headaches and my nausea seems to have subsided.

"Zendagi Migzara..."

Comment

Irritability is major !! ^

I must have weakened my fast by 50% by spazzing at everyone.
                              Screaming, But Will Never Be Heard

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X