Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee experts.... do you have coffee recipes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee experts.... do you have coffee recipes?

A long time ago, during my travels in Europe and the Middle East, I was fortunate enough to experience coffee the way it was meant to be. Served in a demitasse cup (very small) it was thick enough to practically stand a spoon up... and strong enough to peel paint, with an after taste that stuck with me for what seemed like days.... I LOVED that stuff.

But I haven't been able to find anyone or any particular product to make it with over here.

I have an espresso machine, but I don't think that helps.

So... what's the secret? What do I need... and are their any preferences for brand names?
    Please Re-update your Signature

I had coffee like that served to me once by an Armenian friend. She didn't teach me how to make it, but here's a recipe from the net:

Ingredients:

water
    pulverized coffee or freshly roasted and ground coffee
    sugar

Arrange demitasse cups and saucers on a tray. Use 1 demitasse cup water for each serving and pour into "jezveh" or small narrow saucepan. For each measure of water, add 1 rounded teaspoonful pulverized coffee and 1/2 tsp sugar. Mix well to dissolve. Bring to boil over high heat 3 times, stirring occasionally, and removing from heat each time coffee comes to boil. A thick foam will rise to the top. Place a spoonful of foam in each cup. Pour in coffee and serve.

Comment

In Palestine they had cardamon in the coffee. I tried some, but it was too strong for me, even though it was very nice.

I also really like the tea I had there, and I'm waiting till my mint grows so I can make some of my own:

Tea + huge quantities of sugar + lots of fresh mint leaves (at least 10). Or you can use fresh sage (but I'm not growing any yet) delish. and I don't even like sugar in my tea normally.

Yay for Palestine and overly sugared tea :D
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
      [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

And talking of recipes, can anyone tell me how to make felafels like I had in that cafe by bab al Khalil? I asked the guy how to make them, but he didn't know the names of all the things in English. They had fresh coriander and crushed chickpeas in them though, and he showed me the gadget that they crushed up the chickpeas in.

Felafels here just don't taste the same... :(
        [CENTER]
        [/CENTER]
        [CENTER]
        [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
        [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

i shud know cuz i work in a coffee shop....but i dont :p all i can say is just make an espresso? (ie dont add ne water or milk...) i dunno how 2 make it ne stronger
          .: Rufaida :.
          .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
          http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
          “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
          but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
          ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
          <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Originally posted by anna2000uk
            i shud know cuz i work in a coffee shop....but i dont :p all i can say is just make an espresso? (ie dont add ne water or milk...) i dunno how 2 make it ne stronger
            I think Rajii got it... the product winds up looking, almost literally, like mud. VERY strong... but small sips with that combination... almost an instant jolt, and the flavor.... whoever thought that recipe up, I would like to shake their hand!

Comment

Starbucks french roast (bought at supermarket by the pound) is good. Greek I believe: they boil the grounds with the water & then strain it. Avoid paper filters (they soak up flavorfull oils)

Comment

Originally posted by MalcomBanned4?
                Starbucks french roast (bought at supermarket by the pound) is good. Greek I believe: they boil the grounds with the water & then strain it. Avoid paper filters (they soak up flavorfull oils)
                I use a Krups 10 cup with a built in grinder and one of those permanant, gold screen filters. French Roast is my coffee of choice!

Comment

any cold coffee lovers? to me the mere thought of a cold coffee was just disgusting..until that one day, when i dared to be so bold and tried an iced mocha chill with whipcream.. ahhh starbucks, the only place you will pay $4.00 for a cup of coffee, and say it was worth it.:D

Comment

i hate coffee made with water...tasts vile
                    i tend2 add coffee 2 milk.

Ws
                    You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

Comment

Heh, Ive never drinked coffe, lucky me.

Comment

heres and interesting recipe i have...

Arabic Coffee
                        (Qahwa Arabeya)
                        3 cups water
                        3 tbsp. cardamom (coarsely ground)
                        2 tbsp. of Arabic coffee
                        1/4 teaspoon saffron (optional)
                        1 cup sesame seeds
                        Boil the water in a pot. Add the coffee to the water and bring to a boil over low heat. Remove from the heat for five minutes to allow the coffee to settle. Put the cardamom in the pot, strain the coffee into it and add the saffron. Bring back to boil once and serve. Serves 8-10 persons

Comment

95bxl i know that coffee ur talking abt in the middle east. its extremely strong and specially served to guests. they say the stronger it is, the more the host likes you. :)

Comment

BTW to any anti-Zionists that drink Starbucks coffee:

http://www.inminds.co.uk/boycott-starbucks.html
                            http://www.lebanonwire.com/0206/02062212DS.asp
                            http://www.boycottisrael.org/is_goods_starbucks.htm
                            [CENTER]
                            [/CENTER]
                            [CENTER]
                            [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                            [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Ebony
                              i hate coffee made with water...tasts vile
                              i tend2 add coffee 2 milk.

Ws
                              when its a cappucino or whateva with milk thats nice, but i dont like the way some ppl make it with milk in the microwave....its just WRONG :p
                              .: Rufaida :.
                              .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
                              http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
                              “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
                              but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
                              ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
                              <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Working...
                              X