Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking medication and waking up for Fajr

Assalaam Alikum.

I've been off my medications for about a month (maybe more maybe less) and it's really starting to take it's toll on me.

The primary problem I have is bipolar disorder, which causes me to go from massive mood swings (I could act like a funny kid one second and homocidal the next) and it also gives me insomnia so I can't sleep at night. I would go to bed and my mind is racing with so many thoughts and ideas and I can never fall asleep.

I figured I didn't need the medication anymore so I went off and now the effects are in full force. I work in fast food and I'm on the verge of loosing it with my employees and customers. I don't want to do something I regret so in order to keep my sanity and stay in a happy mood, I need to go back on my medications. Doing further research, I've discovered I will be on medications for the rest of my life.

Now, the question I will be asking here is how to get up for Fajr. Currently, I have insomnia so I can't sleep. But when I'm on the medication, I can sleep uninterrupted for more than 8 hours (longest ever was 10pm to 4pm). While on this medication, I can't wake up worth my life. I can drink 2 32oz cups of water before bed and set two alarms on the opposite sides of the room and still not be able to wake up.

Now, I've already adjusted my upcoming fall semester schedule so I can take night classes that are over at 9pm. I can therefore get home and go to bed at a reasonable hour. Currently, I work nightshifts at my job which means I don't leave the store until 3am. I'm hoping I can take night classes and work in the morning.

So, how can I get up for Fajr when on medication that makes me fall asleep and not wake up? Going to bed at a reasonable hour should help. Any other suggestions?
    Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Re: Taking medication and waking up for Fajr

:wswrwb:

Sorry to hear that akhi.
    May Allah cure you.

Can someone from your family wake you up?
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Bro, while this is not related directly to your question, I just wanted to say this in case it benefits you, iA. If you need to go to sleep, try Eucalyptus oil- I took that stuff and it knocked me out (in a good way. Good quality sleep). Also for depression, try peppermint oil- I have been taking that stuff for like 3 days now and I notice myself being a little bit more chipper. Lastly, get on a regimen where you'll be consuming black seeds (nigella sativa) along with raw honey everyday. The medicinal sunnah of RasulAllah (SAWS) works and I can personally vouch for it.
      Last edited by haque; 29-07-11, 01:18 AM.
      Salam! :)

Comment

Don't be saddened by medications. Remember that your Lord has tested you with something that isn't as worse as something other people have been tested - poverty or blindness for an example.

Discuss this with the doctor. Tell him you have prayers at such and such a time. Is there anything I can do to wake up at Fajr time etc,. If he says you cannot/theres no other way - and the doctor is someone you trust then I hope Allah excuses you.

However, this shouldn't make one feel happy to miss Salah and that it is 'okay' to do so. It's just your situation. Make it up after you wake up. Even in the time of the Prophet :saw: a Sahabi had a sleeping problem that his family was known for. But his was serious issue like yours or more. He was excused due to it and was advised to make it up when he wakes up.

Also, a kind reminder to all, firstly to me, and then to the rest -

Do forget to stay in company of the scholars and those that remind you of Allah and the Akhirah. This will take your mind out of being bipolar and make you smile and be pleased with your Lord that one day you hope to See Him and enter into His paradise He made for us.

Last edited by IbnulQayyim; 29-07-11, 01:48 AM.
        Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
        فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Comment

For sleeping, if you have an iPod, connect it to a speaker with the volume turned up and set the alarm clock on it to go off about 20 min before you need to wake up. I doubt that your body could resist not waking up if it's done right.

Edit: get involved with a bipolar forum online. You'll probably learn a few tips on how to better manage your condition, iA. In some cases, those online communities are way ahead of doctors on what works and what doesn't.
          Last edited by haque; 29-07-11, 01:50 AM.
          Salam! :)

Comment

Assalaamualaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, may Allah ease your burden. I used to have problems waking up for Fajr too, and at one point in my life I was insomniac for awhile. But Alhamdullilah I don't have problems waking up for Fajr on my own anymore, and now even the slightest of sound could wake me up sometimes. I would suggest you to sincerely make an intention to wake up for Fajr each and every time before you sleep. It is always best to sleep in the state of purity ie. with wudhu. Another thing that you can try is to set your alarm at its loudest and put it in a place where you have to wake up and walk to switch it off (not too far though or else you wont hear the alarm). Or if you have family members and friends who are willing to help, ask them to wake you up for fajr.

As for drinking before going to sleep, I read somewhere that you are not advised to do so. Anyone happens to know? It works for me though because it would be easier for me to wake up from sleep with a full bladder.

Comment

Just out of curiosity what is the cause of your bipolar disorder? Also are there any documented cases of it being cured?
              I take a breather and sigh
              Either im high or im nuts
              Cause if you aint tilting this room
              Then neither am i....

Comment

Originally posted by Alkatraz View Post
                Just out of curiosity what is the cause of your bipolar disorder? Also are there any documented cases of it being cured?
                Nobody really knows too much about bipolar disorder (what causes it, is it hereditary, etc).

There is no cure. It can only be treated to lessen the symptoms.
                Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfn View Post
                  Nobody really knows too much about bipolar disorder (what causes it, is it hereditary, etc).

There is no cure. It can only be treated to lessen the symptoms.
                  Have you tried to gradually lower your doses to a lesser amount. And when you have a bipolar attack, do you feel as though you could control your actions if you really put your mind to it?
                  I take a breather and sigh
                  Either im high or im nuts
                  Cause if you aint tilting this room
                  Then neither am i....

Comment

Originally posted by Alkatraz View Post
                    Have you tried to gradually lower your doses to a lesser amount. And when you have a bipolar attack, do you feel as though you could control your actions if you really put your mind to it?
                    My doctor is giving me lower doses (I've told him about waking up for Fajr).

When I have a bipolar attack, I can control my actions to an extent, but not what I say (which is starting to get me in hot water with customers at work). I basically say what comes to mind, and when someone is making you mad, the sky's the limit to what you can say.

Comment

http://www.zamzamacademy.com/view/au...he-inner-self/
                      Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
                      فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Comment

Bipolar can be aggravated by insomnia. Which meds do you take? I was on something that made me very lethargic, and I switched to Keppra. I'm also much happier and I lost some of the weight that I gained as a side effect. But of course your doctor knows which medications are best for you. Be careful for sweets, gluten, and foods with hidden sugars because they add to the tired feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by tazra View Post
                          Bipolar can be aggravated by insomnia. Which meds do you take? I was on something that made me very lethargic, and I switched to Keppra. I'm also much happier and I lost some of the weight that I gained as a side effect. But of course your doctor knows which medications are best for you. Be careful for sweets, gluten, and foods with hidden sugars because they add to the tired feeling.
                          Trazadone and Cetalopram.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X