Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muslim rower postpones his Ramadhan 2012

Read this in yesterday's Evening Standard and thought it was quite amusing:

British rower Mo Sbihi told today how he plans to postpone his fasting during Ramadan at London 2012 because he does not want to hurt his chances of a gold medal.

The 24-year-old - the first Muslim to row for Britain - said that he did not want to risk under-performing by being hungry and dehydrated.

Next year's Games fall in the Islam holy month, and rather than attempt to combine competing with the rules of not eating between sunrise and sunset, Sbihi said he would postpone his obligation until November.

The rower, who did his sports science dissertation on the performance of top-class athletes without food or water, said he expected some criticism, but did not believe he was compromising his faith.

He told the Standard: "It is a massive risk to fast and compete. My power output could decrease, or I could collapse during the race. This is the last Olympics for some people and I would not want to risk their chances or my own. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for all of us, and I would not want to ruin it."

Sbihi believes some athletes will choose not to attend the Games. He said: "It is in the holy book and one of the five main pillars (of Islam), but it is personal. I'm sure there will be athletes who would not go because of that. I am sure I should be squaring it with an imam (but) what I do is between Allah and me.

I won't risk 2012 chances by fasting

Re: Muslim rower postpones his Ramadhan 2012

Never heard of him so I don't care. Just another tool to walk the face of this Earth.

Comment

Yes i am one of that imams that he knows will have a problem with him, and if this article and his comments are true then he is no longer even a muslim by name.

"The `Aalim knows who is a Jaahil, because he used to be a Jaahil before. But the Jaahil does not know who is an `Aalim, because he was never an `Aalim before."

Imaam Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullaah in Majmoo`ul Fataawaa.

Comment

It's a shame he'll miss out, maybe he should read up on Hakeem Olajuwon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakeem_Olajuwon

http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Isla...Interview.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Mus'ab View Post
          Yes i am one of that imams that he knows will have a problem with him, and if this article and his comments are true then he is no longer even a muslim by name.
          are you a actual imam? with your own mosque?

There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance.

Comment

Didn't some footballers do this and people on here were supporting them because it was their work and they 'had to earn a living'
            Last edited by x--x; 27-07-11, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Taqwa27 View Post
              It's a shame he'll miss out, maybe he should read up on Hakeem Olajuwon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakeem_Olajuwon

http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Isla...Interview.aspx
              I'd not heard of that brother before. That interview was beautiful, Jazakallah Khair for sharing :)

Comment

What a first class idiot.. fasting during month of ramadhan is fard rowing in the olympics is not...

Comment

fasting might actually make him "hungry" for success. I understand his dilemma though.

Comment

I see it purely as putting dunya ahead of deen.

There's clear reasons for missing/making up fasts... trying to obtain a gold medal ain't one of them!

Comment

to miss just one fast of ramadhan on purpose, such a huge sin

may Allah guide this fool and bring him back to the right path.

@taqwa, that interview was beautiful mashaAllah
                      The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '
                      (Shaikh Maulana Muhammad Yusuf)
                      In Lam Takun Ghaadiban Annee Falaa Ubaalee...

Comment

If you are travelling, then can you miss a fast?

Comment

Originally posted by x--x View Post
                          Didn't some footballers do this and people on here were supporting them because it was their work and they 'had to earn a living'
                          which idiot would support that? ... playing football is an option , its not a necessity.

Comment

Sad times.

It would interesting to see how many of the Muslim competitors (from various nations) do the same, quit all together or compete whilst fasting.
                            "The discovery of truth is prevented more effectively, not by the false appearance of things present and which mislead into error, not directly by weakness of the reasoning powers, but by preconceived notions, opinion, and by prejudice." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by CARM View Post
                              If you are travelling, then can you miss a fast?
                              This is true, he might not be from London in which case he would be a Mussaffir and could make his fasts up at a later date... technically.
                              Hadith, Fiqh and Tafsir Scholarship
                              http://www.al-salam.co.uk/[B][COLOR="#006400"]

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X