8 glasses of water a day, nonsense!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 glasses of water a day, nonsense!

A medical practitioner has argued that the recommendation to drink six to eight glasses ofwater a day to prevent dehydration is not only nonsense, but is thoroughly debunk nonsense.
    There is currently no clear evidence of the benefit from drinking increased amounts of water, yet the we-don't-drink-enough-water myth has endless advocates including the NHS, claimed GP Margaret McCartney.
    The NHS Choices website states: Try to drink about six to eight glasses of water (or other fluids) a day to prevent dehydration.
    While many schools also feel it appropriate to insist that pupils are accompanied to school by a water bottle, other organisations, often with vested interests, reinforce this message, she said.
    For example, Hydration for Health (created by French food giant Danone - makers of bottled waters including Volvic and Evian) recommends 1.5 to 2 litres of water daily as the simplest and healthiest hydration advice you can give.
    It also claims that, even mild dehydration plays a role in the development of various diseases.
    But McCartney disagreed that that there is no high quality published evidence to support these claims.
    While there are some conditions that do benefit from drinking increased water, such as in people with recurrent kidney stones, other evidence for preventing disease is conflicting, added McCartney.
    There are many organisations with vested interests who would like to tell doctors and patients what to do. We should just say no, she concluded.
    Her argument was put forward in this week's BMJ.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/l...ow/9209068.cms
    Where there are no Ulemah(Scholars) there are many Muftis.

I
    deal System of Living for All Mankind .

Re: 8 glasses of water a day, nonsense!

:salams

I have to actually disagree, as I myself have tested it out. Drinking two litres every day (8 glasses) of water for about two weeks, made a big difference. You don't feel dehydrated, its good for the digestive system and it makes your skin look wow!

Maybe its different for different people Allahu A'lam.
    check out this blog>>>http://myworldmuslimah.wordpress.com/

Comment

^ skin look wow ? .. ... like its flashing shiny? ... i drink around like 4-5 bottles(1.5 Litres each) of water a day and i never experienced it.

i jz feel thirsty ...

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post
        ^ skin look wow ? .. ... like its flashing shiny? ... i drink around like 4-5 bottles(1.5 Litres each) of water a day and i never experienced it.

i jz feel thirsty ...
        like glowy/clearer. Maybe you need to drink more, up to 2 litres.

I don't feel thirsty, I have to force myself sometimes because I know its good for my health, don't drink so much lately.
        check out this blog>>>http://myworldmuslimah.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by *hijab* View Post
          :salams

I have to actually disagree, as I myself have tested it out. Drinking two litres every day (8 glasses) of water for about two weeks, made a big difference. You don't feel dehydrated, its good for the digestive system and it makes your skin look wow!

Maybe its different for different people Allahu A'lam.
          It also stops overeating, as sometimes people think they are hungry when they are actually thirsty.

anyone who wants to get rid of excess fat would be well advised to do the following: 1. whenever you feel hungry, have water to drink first. If you are genuinely hungry you'll still feel hungry 5 mins later. if you were thirsty rather than hungry, you won't, and by drinking the water you'll have avoided overeating. 2. don't drink calories. don't drink artificial sweetner either. both these things confuse your body with regards to how many calories you've taken in. Instead drink naturally calorie free drinks, i.e. water and teas (without milk or sugar)

I agree though, that a blanket rule of 8 glasses of water a day is not correct, how much you need depends on how much you sweat (to put it bluntly) so if you are very active or the weather is very hot, you need more water, 8 glasses may not be enough. If it's cold and you're doing nothing, you don't need to drink 8 glasses of water.
          [CENTER]
          [/CENTER]
          [CENTER]
          [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
          [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Sprite is my water...

I need to seriously drink more water though, maybe that's the cause of my laziness problem?
            A Fast Growing Islamic Search Website -

www.Searching-Islam.com

Comment

sprite is your water? how very unhealthy.

i don't agree with the doctor. water is great for you, like hijab said drinking a lot of water gives you clear, healthy skin, helps with health and well being, and well its, pure.
              The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '
              (Shaikh Maulana Muhammad Yusuf)
              In Lam Takun Ghaadiban Annee Falaa Ubaalee...

Comment

i think its abit differnt depending on where you are, what your body is like and so on.

really, i drink way less then 8 glasses of water, and im alright.
                painful torment? (10) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Comment

i thought it was something to do with 8 glasses of water but you get water in food as well as drinks so in order you dont really have to drink those 8 cups of water but if it comes from any of the sources of water and gives you the amount you need then thats fine

Comment

Originally posted by *hijab* View Post
                    like glowy/clearer. Maybe you need to drink more, up to 2 litres.

I don't feel thirsty, I have to force myself sometimes because I know its good for my health, don't drink so much lately.
                    5 x 1.5 = 7.5 litres per day.

Comment

Drinking too much water kills my appetite, so it doesn't help.

I think it depends on what you're drinking it for, but seriously... HOW can people drink eight glasses everyday?
                      Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, thabbit qalbi 'alaa Deenik
                      O' Converter of Hearts, make my heart steadfast upon Thy Way
                      We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Soliloquy View Post
                        Drinking too much water kills my appetite, so it doesn't help.

I think it depends on what you're drinking it for, but seriously... HOW can people drink eight glasses everyday?
                        It's easy when you live in an extremely hot place like I do and all you crave is that water. Everything else seems blah or too heavy for your system. And I do agree with the skin thing that hijab pointed out :)

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post
                          5 x 1.5 = 7.5 litres per day.
                          are you for real? you sure the bottles are not 500ml? :|
                          I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allah, the One, without any partner. And I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and His Messenger.

The smart one isn't the one who wins arguments, rather is the one who avoids getting into them in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Fundie View Post
                            are you for real? you sure the bottles are not 500ml? :|
                            yeah ... im real .... what how many bottles do u drink on a hot day? .... in winter i drink around 2 bottles of 1.5 litres each.

Comment

Originally posted by dhakiyya View Post
                              It also stops overeating, as sometimes people think they are hungry when they are actually thirsty.

anyone who wants to get rid of excess fat would be well advised to do the following: 1. whenever you feel hungry, have water to drink first. If you are genuinely hungry you'll still feel hungry 5 mins later. if you were thirsty rather than hungry, you won't, and by drinking the water you'll have avoided overeating. 2. don't drink calories. don't drink artificial sweetner either. both these things confuse your body with regards to how many calories you've taken in. Instead drink naturally calorie free drinks, i.e. water and teas (without milk or sugar)

I agree though, that a blanket rule of 8 glasses of water a day is not correct, how much you need depends on how much you sweat (to put it bluntly) so if you are very active or the weather is very hot, you need more water, 8 glasses may not be enough. If it's cold and you're doing nothing, you don't need to drink 8 glasses of water.

good advice. some people actually mistake the feeling of being thirsty for feeling hungry. ive allways got a water bottle with me no matter where i go. i train twice a day so need to top regulary, not any particular amount just till i feel i dont need any more. some days a couple of litres, other days maybe one litre.

There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X