Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To what extent are we allowed to pray for non-Muslims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To what extent are we allowed to pray for non-Muslims?

AS I am curious to what extent are we allowed to pray for non-Muslims in this world and those who have passed to the world after? I remember my father in my childhood stopping me from praying for non-Muslims in a graveyard where my Muslim grandfather was buried. Would it not be permissible to pray for forgiveness of their sins, or has their chance (ie their life's deeds) for repentance gone?

Hadith references would be nice, but so would a short explanation of the logic behind this decision.

Re: To what extent are we allowed to pray for non-Muslims?

You are allowed to pray for them while they are alive. The Prophet :saw: made for the guidance Abu Hurairah's mother. It's mentioned in Sahih Muslim.

You're not allowed to ask forgiveness for them once they have passed away. Allah ta'ala says:

مَا كَانَ لِلنَّبِيِّ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَن يَسْتَغْفِرُوا لِلْمُشْرِكِينَ وَلَوْ كَانُوا أُولِي قُرْبَىٰ مِن بَعْدِ مَا تَبَيَّنَ لَهُمْ أَنَّهُمْ أَصْحَابُ الْجَحِيمِ

It is not for the Prophet and those who have believed to ask forgiveness for the polytheists, even if they were relatives, after it has become clear to them that they are companions of Hellfire.

(Tawbah: 113)
    "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
    (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Comment

Originally posted by the_middle_road View Post
      You are allowed to pray for them while they are alive. The Prophet :saw: made for the guidance Abu Hurairah's mother. It's mentioned in Sahih Muslim.

You're not allowed to ask forgiveness for them once they have passed away. Allah ta'ala says:

مَا كَانَ لِلنَّبِيِّ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَن يَسْتَغْفِرُوا لِلْمُشْرِكِينَ وَلَوْ كَانُوا أُولِي قُرْبَىٰ مِن بَعْدِ مَا تَبَيَّنَ لَهُمْ أَنَّهُمْ أَصْحَابُ الْجَحِيمِ

It is not for the Prophet and those who have believed to ask forgiveness for the polytheists, even if they were relatives, after it has become clear to them that they are companions of Hellfire.

(Tawbah: 113)
      but what about a monotheist that wasnt muslim? could someone pray for them?

There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance.

Comment

You can pray for anything except forgiveness for them after they have died.

Comment

Originally posted by SILURES View Post
          but what about a monotheist that wasnt muslim? could someone pray for them?
          I'm sure if they reject the prophet they come under the same category? Hopefully soneone else can clear it up...

Comment

Originally posted by x--x View Post
            I'm sure if they reject the prophet they come under the same category? Hopefully soneone else can clear it up...
            i thought a monotheist was someone who belived in the one god. i dont think it has anything to do with his prophets, but if someone could clear it up though..

There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance.

Comment

Originally posted by SILURES View Post
              i thought a monotheist was someone who belived in the one god. i dont think it has anything to do with his prophets, but if someone could clear it up though..
              Sorry I meant someone who rejects the prophet comes under the same category of not praying for them after they've died but I'm not sure. Monotheists are people who believe in one God I know :up:

Comment

Don't pray for idol worshippers, Allah has prepared something very special for them in hell.
                Everyone thinks their a scholar because they know how to copy and paste, you get your ummah face on and the second you log out, you know your reality. Anyone can attain knowledge, how many can implement it?

Comment

Sorry I meant someone who rejects the prophet comes under the same category of not praying for them after they've died but I'm not sure. Monotheists are people who believe in one God I know :up:
                  sorry my mistake, i see what you mean now.

Comment

You can pray for anything except forgiveness for them after they have died.
                    is there something they can get in hell if we pray after they died other than forgiveness? ...

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post
                      is there something they can get in hell if we pray after they died other than forgiveness? ...
                      The meaning of that is you can pray for them while they are alive

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X