X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haque
    started a topic "Honor" Killings

"Honor" Killings

I don't understand them. WHY do some people do this this? Is it to protect the "honor" of the family or something else?

Discuss, iA.

• annie.noor
    replied
    Done by people who fear peoples reaction rather than Allah...if not y would they kill a muslim just coz of honor...i mean killing a muslim means hell so yh its way more than wrong

Leave a comment:

• Soliloquy
    replied
    Re: "Honor" Killings

Originally posted by Rouz View Post
    I was totally shocked to hear about libyans "honour killing" their raped daughters...i mean first your daughter has been raped..and then you murder her..?!?!?!?! That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...its insane
    And yet, I doubt the rapist is dealt with at all in many cases.

Leave a comment:

• SILURES
    replied

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
    Wow! SubhanAllah.
    Amazing. Never knew that.

Note to SILURES: That's not Islam, my friend.
    Originally posted by RazielTemp View Post
    Silures we don't make things up as we go along, our Laws MUST confirm to the Quran and Sunnah, anything that opposes the Furqan (the Criterion which Distinguishes Truth from Falsehood) aka the Quran is rejected.

In other words it is not of Islam.

regards.
    yeah well i know that now. when i first read that a while ago i didnt know the differance between a shia and a sunni. i thought a muslim was a muslim. i know now that a lot of what the shia belive puts them outside of islam.

like i said above i apologise for the mistake. dont want anyone to think i was tarring you all with the same brush so to speak.

Leave a comment:

• Saif-Uddin
    replied

Originally posted by loonietoonie View Post
    Maybe they were influenced by the Bible:

Deuteronomy 21:18-21 ESV

“If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and, though they discipline him, will not listen to them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gate of the place where he lives, and they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones. So you shall purge the evil from your midst, and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Then we have the Glorious Qur'an:
    And kill not your children for fear of poverty. We shall provide for them as well as for you. Surely, the killing of them is a great sin.
    ( سورة الإسراء , Al-Isra, Chapter #17, Verse #31)
    also ...

Al-Quran, Surah At-Takwir, Chapter 81
    ---------------------------------------
    Ayah 8 : When the female (infant), buried alive, is questioned -

Ayah 9 : For what crime she was killed;

:jkk:

Leave a comment:

• Saif-Uddin
    replied

Originally posted by SILURES View Post
    found it. it wasnt a hadith it was iranian islamic court ruling so apologise for getting it wrong about being a hadith. the below quote is used quite a lot on anti islamic sites to justify their stance that islam allows honour killings and was taken from a article about honour killings.
    Silures we don't make things up as we go along, our Laws MUST confirm to the Quran and Sunnah, anything that opposes the Furqan (the Criterion which Distinguishes Truth from Falsehood) aka the Quran is rejected.

In other words it is not of Islam.

regards.
    Last edited by Saif-Uddin; 19-06-11, 11:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rouz
    replied

I was totally shocked to hear about libyans "honour killing" their raped daughters...i mean first your daughter has been raped..and then you murder her..?!?!?!?! That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...its insane

Leave a comment:

• loonietoonie
    replied

Originally posted by -Shamil- View Post
    ah, an iranian court ruling - so totally and utterly useless and not worth the paper its written on :up:

nothing to do with islam
    Maybe they were influenced by the Bible:

Deuteronomy 21:18-21 ESV

“If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and, though they discipline him, will not listen to them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gate of the place where he lives, and they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones. So you shall purge the evil from your midst, and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Then we have the Glorious Qur'an:
    And kill not your children for fear of poverty. We shall provide for them as well as for you. Surely, the killing of them is a great sin.
    ( سورة الإسراء , Al-Isra, Chapter #17, Verse #31)

Leave a comment:

• .mirror.
    replied

found it. it wasnt a hadith it was iranian islamic court ruling so apologise for getting it wrong about being a hadith. the below quote is used quite a lot on anti islamic sites to justify their stance that islam allows honour killings and was taken from a article about honour killings.
    Wow! SubhanAllah.
    Amazing. Never knew that.

Note to SILURES: That's not Islam, my friend.

Leave a comment:

• noobz
    replied

:rotfl: a shia ruling? .... horse crap is worth more than what they write.

Leave a comment:

• SILURES
    replied

Originally posted by -Shamil- View Post
    ah, an iranian court ruling - so totally and utterly useless and not worth the paper its written on :up:

nothing to do with islam
    yeah lol.

Leave a comment:

• Soliloquy
    replied

Originally posted by haque View Post
    This is a fascinating discussion, Safiya, try to look at it this way: a family's reputation is like their passport into society. As long as they have a good reputation, they will be invited to social occasions; other people will be okay associating with them; it will be easier for their children to get married; and they can have a say in community affairs, etc.

However, when something happens which damages their reputation, all of a sudden their passport is revoked. People might not want to invite them to social occasions anymore lest they be judged negatively by the wider community for doing so; other people might not want to associate with them in order to avoid acquiring the same kind of reputation as them (i.e. guilty by association); their children might have a harder time getting married because other families might not want to marry into a family with such a dubious reputation; they might lose their ability to have a say in community affairs because they have such a shameful cloud surrounding them, etc.

I'm not trying to justify "honor" killings but as you can see, living in such an environment, it's almost pragmatic for families to do such things. So HOW do we change the way people react to such situations? Is there a different way we can give them to restore their "honor" and "reputation"?
    In regards to the first two paragraphs, like I said - who are they doing this for? The answer is evident, for the people around them whom they are trying to please at the cost of the life of their wife/sister/daughter/cousin and the possibility of the cost of their admittance into Jannah; essentially, in defiance of the Shari'ah.

It might be pragmatic, but it is not Islamic and neither is it rational. Clearly, the problem lies within some societies as TwinklingStar pointed out, so what is the solution? To make these ignorant people think, get them using their brains - educate them in Islam. I know I say it like it's simple, but beyond that, prosecuting them and bringing them to justice would help.

"Honour" and "reputation"? It's the misconstrued ideas they have of these concepts (within Islam) that gets them to this point in the first place. Assessing what these mean might help, but firstly, realising there is no place in Islam for acts such as "honour killings" would be the priority.

Leave a comment:

• -Shamil-
    replied

nothing to do with islam

Leave a comment:

• SILURES
    replied

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
    Which hadith?
    Originally posted by RazielTemp View Post
    Silures you must be of your rocker here ...

the Quran Explicitely describes such practices as Abhorable, Despicable ... Those Children killed will be raised up on the Day of Judgement and Justice served to those who took their lives ...

Culteral pracices are often found to be rather Despicable ... it's got nothing to do with Islam.

regards.

According to paragraph 220 of Iran’s Islamic Penal Code, if the father or father’s father kills his child or grandchild, he will not be punished for murder. Physical punishment by a parent is permitted in Iranian law.

Leave a comment:

• ~TwinklingStar~
    replied

Originally posted by haque View Post
    However, when something happens which damages their reputation, all of a sudden their passport is revoked. People might not want to invite them to social occasions anymore lest they be judged negatively by the wider community for doing so; other people might not want to associate with them in order to avoid acquiring the same kind of reputation as them (i.e. guilty by association); their children might have a harder time getting married because other families might not want to marry into a family with such a dubious reputation; they might lose their ability to have a say in community affairs because they have such a shameful cloud surrounding them, etc.

I'm not trying to justify "honor" killings but as you can see, living in such an environment, it's almost pragmatic for families to do such things. So HOW do we change the way people react to such situations? Is there a different way we can give them to restore their "honor" and "reputation"?
    The practice of honor killings is, obviously, rooted in the erroneous notion that the honor of a family revolves around the sexual conduct of women. This leads many Muslim men to murder their young daughters or sisters in cold blood. This inhuman practice, a modern version of the pre-Islamic practice of burying female babies alive, is present in some Muslim countries.

A woman can be targeted by her family for a variety of reasons, including infidelity, premarital sex or seeking a divorce from even an abusive husband. The mere perception that a woman has behaved in a way that “dishonors” her family is sufficient to trigger an attack on her life.

A raped woman is killed by her relatives because she is a source of shame to her family and the only “manly” way to regain the family honor is by shedding her blood.

Refusing to enter into an arranged marriage is also an excuse to kill a girl. In 2008 three teenage girls were buried alive by their tribe in a remote village in Pakistan as punishment for damaging the honor of their families after they refused to enter forced marriages. Over the course of six years, more than 4,000 women have died as victims of honor killings in Pakistan from 1999 to 2004. In a recent media report from the subcontinent, a 50-year-old Muslim woman was forced to walk naked on the streets after it was suspected one of her sons had had an affair with a neighbor.

It is ironic that many Muslim communities have developed a sense of honor that is far removed from the fundamental teachings of the Holy Qur’an. The most honorable in the eyes of Allah is the most righteous irrespective of sex or tribe.

“O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted.” (Al-Hujurat: 13)

Women have no specific criminal laws in Islam. Sex outside marriage is unlawful and its punishment, which does not distinguish between man and woman, has also been clearly specified.

But those obsessed with their spurious honor have scant respect for the Holy Book. When an unmarried man, a son or a brother, commits a sexual violation, his relatives condone it in violation of religious law and defends him against criticism.

On the other hand, if the offender is an unmarried or married daughter or sister, the relatives kill her.
    The punishment for a sexual offense committed by an unmarried woman or man, according to Islamic law, is usually only a specific number of lashes. In any case, whether the suspect is married or unmarried, there are specific legal procedures to be followed.

Another major legal issue involved in the honor killing is that the girl’s relatives believe that their honor is compromised just because a girl talked or met with another man. It is not an act that deserves execution according to Islamic teachings (Shariah).

It has also been noted that a potentially erring woman’s relatives are persuaded to kill her after only hearing some rumors. According to Islamic law, no person should be punished without concrete evidence, particularly when slanderous allegations against women are involved. A man or woman is viewed as innocent unless the case is proven beyond doubt by four witnesses as stated in the Holy Qur’an: “Why did not the believers — men and women — when you heard of the affair — put the best construction on it in their own minds and say, ‘This (charge) is an obvious lie?’ Why did they not bring four witnesses to prove it? When they have not brought the witnesses, such men, in the sight of Allah, (stand forth) themselves as liars!” (Al-Noor: 12 and 13).

A believer should not be influenced by the principles of false tribal honor of the days before the Prophet (peace be upon him). On the other hand, Muslims should follow the Holy Qur’an, which says: “Do they then seek the judgement of (the Days of) Ignorance? And who is better in judgment than Allah for a people who have firm Faith.” (Al-Maidah: 50)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X