Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stigma With Mental Illness

:salams

A Friend Of Mine Has Been Dianogsed With A Mental Illness. She Is In Her Teens About 19.

Should She Tell Her Family ? Like Her Mother And Brothers/Sisters

She Is Already Married With A Son. And Her Imdiate Family Know. I Would Advise Her To Tell Them See If They Can Support Her But I Dont Wanna Give Bad Advice So See What Others Think :insha:
    And He found you lost and guided you,
    ~ Qur'an (Ad Duhaa) 93:7 ~

Salaah Reminders

Guide us to the straight pain.
    " Ihdina-s-sirata-l-mustaqim "
    ~ Quran 1:6 ~

الله أعلم

Re: Stigma With Mental Illness

Salam Alaikum.

I have also been diagnosed with a mental illness and I have chosen not to keep it as a secret, but talk about it.
    However I am not sure if this was the right decision, but once everybody knows, it can't be undone. On the other hand it is not possible to keep it a complete secret, at least the closest people of her family should know it. A strong family can be very helpful.

Regards
    David
    Please Allah, protect the children.

Comment

Bismillah hir Rahman ir Rahim,
      :wswrwb:

How come she doesnt wanna speak about it ? im asking becausee some epople dont tell because of shame/embarrassment or because they expect no one will understand or care...but thats not always true(of course every circumstance is different)

sis, i think you should tell your friend to definitely tell her family.It can be difficult and sometimes family memebers and friends might not even be so udetsatanding or helpful but it no good keeping things ,and that can makes things worse for her in the long run you know because mental illneses are not just serious but can get overwhelmingly complicated .
      inshaAllah all will be okay.
      :salams:
      La Ilaha Illa Anta, subhanaka, Inni Kunto Minal dhalimeen.(Al Anbiya 21:87) Nabi(SAW)said'None who is experiencing difficulty employs it except that Allah would relieve him of his difficulty'

Comment

I Asked She Told Me That Her Mother Said That Other People Have Other Problems And Have Things On There Mind :scratch:

I Thought What :wacko: But I Dont Wanna Advise Her Before More Opinions

But I Completely Agree Though She Should Tell Em

Salaah Reminders

الله أعلم

Comment

Originally posted by Umm_Adam_ View Post
          :salams

A Friend Of Mine Has Been Dianogsed With A Mental Illness. She Is In Her Teens About 19.

Should She Tell Her Family ? Like Her Mother And Brothers/Sisters

She Is Already Married With A Son. And Her Imdiate Family Know. I Would Advise Her To Tell Them See If They Can Support Her But I Dont Wanna Give Bad Advice So See What Others Think :insha:
          Yes, of course she should talk to her family if at all possible. For a start, 19 is not a great age to have a young family and if she is also suffering from some mental health issues, her extended family could be a great source of help - perhaps the odd weekend of childminding to give this lady a rest. As a general rule, extended support networks (whether it be family or friends) can be incredibly useful in the long-term management of any mental health condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Atheist Chap View Post
            Yes, of course she should talk to her family if at all possible. For a start, 19 is not a great age to have a young family and if she is also suffering from some mental health issues, her extended family could be a great source of help - perhaps the odd weekend of childminding to give this lady a rest. As a general rule, extended support networks (whether it be family or friends) can be incredibly useful in the long-term management of any mental health condition.
            Thanks For Your Adivce :up:

Salaah Reminders

الله أعلم

Comment

Working...
            X