Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving haraam gifts to disbelievers

:salams

I was listening to this lecture by yahya ibrahim (listen from approx. 3.20), and he mentions hadith where the Prophet :saw: gave a silk garment to Umar RA to give to his brother as it might open his heart.

Does this mean that muslims can give things that are haraam for us to the non-muslims?
    Not to actually go out of the way to buy something haraam to give to disbelievers, but for example if i have been given chocolates as a gift containing gelatine or alcohol, or haraam meat bought by mistake, can I give this to a non-muslim neighbour/colleague? I have done this in the past, and was told that this is impermissible and I should throw the haraam item away.

:jkk: for any input
    "You are the best nation raised up for men. You enjoin good and forbid evil, and you believe in Allah." (Surah Al Imran 3:110)

Re: Giving haraam gifts to disbelievers

:wswrwb:

As far as I know, silk is only forbidden to wear.
    Did the speaker mention for which purpose he gave the garment for?
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

maybe this incident occured before the ruling that silk is forbidden for men was revealed.
      ask a shaikh inshaAllah :love: best to consult ulama over matters of quran and hadeeth rather than laymen.
      The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '
      (Shaikh Maulana Muhammad Yusuf)
      In Lam Takun Ghaadiban Annee Falaa Ubaalee...

Comment

:jkk: for replies, did you listen to it? because i'm rubbish at explaining and it seems like it was after silk was forbidden. will see if hubby can find out inshaAllah
        "You are the best nation raised up for men. You enjoin good and forbid evil, and you believe in Allah." (Surah Al Imran 3:110)

Comment

Originally posted by Proud-2b-MUSLIM View Post
          :jkk: for replies, did you listen to it? because i'm rubbish at explaining and it seems like it was after silk was forbidden. will see if hubby can find out inshaAllah
          Can you point us where it is?
          The lecture in kind of long. =|
          Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."

Comment

I put it in the first post! At 3.20 :)

Comment

and the link to the lecture:

http://www.hoor-al-ayn.com/Audios/Wo...20Unseen/3.mp3

Comment

Oh, Lolz. I missed that.

Ok, I'm on it.
                I got some lead.

Be right back, researching.

Comment

Here's the hadith being mentioned:

‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar reported that ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab saw a hullah siyara’ [a type of two-piece garment] at the door of the mosque and said, “O Messenger of Allaah, why don’t you buy this and wear it on Fridays and when the delegations come to you?” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “This is only worn by one who has no share in the Hereafter.” Then the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was brought a number of garments [hullahs] of the same type. He gave one of them to ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with him) and ‘Umar said, “O Messenger of Allaah, are you giving it to me to wear it when you said what you said about the hullah of ‘Utaarid (the vendor of the first hullah)?” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I am not giving it to you to wear it.” So ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with him) gave it to a brother of his in Makkah who was a mushrik.” (Saheeh al-Bukhaari, 837).

According to another report: “[The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:] Sell it and benefit from its price.” Al-Bukhaari, 896.

Ok, so this basically pinpoints the confusion:

...‘‘Umar sent it to a brother of his among the people of Makkah, before he [the brother] became Muslim’ – this indicates that he (the brother) subsequently became Muslim… This also indicates that it is permissible to maintain family ties with kaafirs and to treat them well, and that it is permissible to give gifts to kaafirs. The permission to give silk clothes to men does not mean that they should wear them. Some may misinterpret this to mean that kaafir men are permitted to wear silk, but this is incorrect. The hadeeth describes giving a gift to a kaafir, but does not give them permission to wear silk. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) sent silk garments to ‘Umar, ‘Ali and Usaamah (may Allaah be pleased with them), but this does not mean that they were permitted to wear silk; he stated quite clearly that he was giving it to them so that they could benefit from it in some way other than by wearing it.

You can read the details here of the whole hadith.
                  http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/3011/

Comment

:jkk: akhi for going to the effort of researching! lol

Comment

BarakAllah Feek.

Comment

Its obviously wrong, if you remember the hadith about the one who produces alcohol, sells it, distributes it etc is cursed

He it is Who sends blessings on you, as do His angels, that He may bring you out from the depths of Darkness into Light: and He is Full of Mercy to the Believers. [Quran {33:43}]
                        www.QuranicAudio.com
                        www.Quran.com

Comment

Originally posted by aadil77 View Post
                          Its obviously wrong, if you remember the hadith about the one who produces alcohol, sells it, distributes it etc is cursed
                          It's not wrong because silk has more than one use. Umar (RA) didn't tell his brother to wear it. He could sell it and benefit from it or give it to his womenfolks.

It's like, for example, giving a sword. You can go kill somebody and that's haram, or you can use it for self-defense.

Comment

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
                            It's not wrong because silk has more than one use. Umar (RA) didn't tell his brother to wear it. He could sell it and benefit from it or give it to his womenfolks.

It's like, for example, giving a sword. You can go kill somebody and that's haram, or you can use it for self-defense.
                            silk is not haram and neither is a sword

He it is Who sends blessings on you, as do His angels, that He may bring you out from the depths of Darkness into Light: and He is Full of Mercy to the Believers. [Quran {33:43}]
                            www.QuranicAudio.com
                            www.Quran.com

Comment

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. He gave silk, but never said wear it, which is haram.

Comment

Working...
                              X