X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outcider
    started a topic Camel meat

Camel meat

A few years ago I was often served somewhat tough meat in a Tunisian restaurant and we concluded that it probably was camel meat. We never asked though. It tasted different from beef or soft pork meat, which probably would not have been served in that country anyway. The meat was more coarse.

My question concerns the use of camel meat. Is it commonly used and mainly in what countries?

• obsidian
    replied
    SA Sis,

I think it was harder for the fellow passengers,
    I dont think any of em flew Egypt Air again

:D

WS

Leave a comment:

• Bilquis
    replied
    Walakium salam wr wb bruv O,

You poor thing akhi; found out the hard way huh? ;)
    And in transit back to Londres... No more koftas for you, hehehe

Ws

Leave a comment:

• obsidian
    replied
    Salaam Alaikum,

I had a camel meat kofta while I was in transit in Eqypt a while back . Next day I had the most painful stomach-ache in my life
    whilst flying back to London.

Guess its an acquired taste....

WS

O

Leave a comment:

• Bilquis
    replied
    Camel meat is permissible but I think it's generally perceived as a somewhat inferior form of meat (very dry I think).
    Most Muslims prefer goat, lamb, beef and white meats.
    Camel milk is used however.
    But as one of the brothers/sisters has already said, the camel's value lies in other uses e.g transportation primarily.
    Of course, camel meat is obviously superior to pork, horses etc.
    Last edited by Bilquis; 02-08-02, 12:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Outcider
    replied
    StickyPeas, yes, they are fat and therefore excellent sources of energy. I try to avoid eating too much fat and camel meat is not part of my diet.

Leave a comment:

• StickyPeas
    replied
    But isnt that where all the camel fat is stored.. and o we'l be munching their fat... it that.. erm.. ok to eat?

Leave a comment:

• Outcider
    replied
    Originally posted by StickyPeas
    u know those humps that on camels backs.... are they used for meat????
    Probably. Aren't they a source for reserve nourishment also?

Leave a comment:

• StickyPeas
    replied
    u know those humps that on camels backs.... are they used for meat????

Leave a comment:

• Outcider
    replied
    I just saw a TV documentary, where a Danish reporter was visiting a market place in Oman. A young bloke bought a young living camel and said he's going to eat it in a couple of days' time. Why should there be anything wrong with camel meat? We just don't eat it daily.

Leave a comment:

• Outcider
    replied
    Charlesl, my meat in that Tunisian restaurant may have been goat meet, too. But I suppose goat meat is a bit like lamb meat and they didn't taste the same at all.

A few days ago I realized that horse meat is commonly used in salami, which is certainly unpleasant news to all horse lovers.

Leave a comment:

• charlesl
    replied
    No one eats camel here that I know....

Hi Bilal,

This is mainly a beef and lamb country! Pork is popular with some as well. Anything else is pretty much on the fringe. Kangaroo eaters are rare among the general population, although the indigenous Aboriginal people still eat them often. Fish is getting more popular now due to the health benefits. Which is why fish prices have doubled in the last few years.

I think it'll be a long while before camel meat catches on here. We have plenty of water buffalo up north that they should look at exporting as well. Now that I will eat, if they ever sell it down here. Had some when living in south-east asia and it is good tucker.

Leave a comment:

• Bilal
    replied
    Re: Goat?

You do not eat camels’ meat in Australia?
    Of course we can eat goat, sheep and rabbit meat. In Muslims countries, they allowed to eat everything eating glass from mammals except the donkeys.
    In my region, we not familiar with horses and camels meat.

Originally posted by charlesl
    Outsider,

Was it possibly goat meat? I'm not aware that Tunisians are big on camel meat. Goat's are pretty popular food in much of the region though. Cooked right, it's not bad at all. In fact, I've had some a few times that were really great.

And yes, we'd be happy to send more camels to anyone that wants them. Rabbits too....

Leave a comment:

• charlesl
    replied
    Goat?

Outsider,

Was it possibly goat meat? I'm not aware that Tunisians are big on camel meat. Goat's are pretty popular food in much of the region though. Cooked right, it's not bad at all. In fact, I've had some a few times that were really great.

And yes, we'd be happy to send more camels to anyone that wants them. Rabbits too....

Leave a comment:

• Bilal
    replied
    charlesl is Australian. He know more about camels ........

Leave a comment:

Working...
X