Camel meat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camel meat

A few years ago I was often served somewhat tough meat in a Tunisian restaurant and we concluded that it probably was camel meat. We never asked though. It tasted different from beef or soft pork meat, which probably would not have been served in that country anyway. The meat was more coarse.

My question concerns the use of camel meat. Is it commonly used and mainly in what countries?
    Please Re-update your Signature

Outsider
    I never see Camel meat, even the Camel itself I saw it in Berlin Zoo!!

I do not think any society eat its meat too much , except in the desert.
    Its meat like beef but it is harder.

Comment

Thanks, Bilal, for your answer. I already thought I'd get no reply! The question was made simply because I didn't know for sure whether camel meat is eaten.

There are strange things one doesn't even think of. Horse meat is commonly available in sausages etc. Ostrich meat is becoming ever more popular and is actually said to be tasty. In Seoul, South Korea, hamburgers containing dog meat will be sold during the forthcoming World Football Championships.

The rarest meat I've ever tasted was antilope meat. I think it tasted a little like liver, which I detest.

Comment

For Muslims it is allowed to eat camels and horses, but normally people do not eat it because they use it for more important things.
        Muslims not allowed to eat all meat-eating animals (including eagles, hawks.......)
        Also pigs and donkeys, insects..........etc
        (Of course we not allowed to eat human flesh also, so do not worry :D )

Comment

Australia supplies Saudis with camels

Australia has begun exporting camels to Saudi Arabia.
          More than 100 animals are being shipped from the Australian port city of Darwin and are due to arrive in Saudi Arabia in early July.

The vast majority are destined for restaurant tables in a major camel-consuming nation.

Camels were first brought into Australia in the 19th century, and their population has multiplied since then.

Peter Seidel, who heads the Central Australian Camel Industry Association, told BBC Online that the Saudis need to import Australian camels for meat production, because they focus on breeding animals for domestic and racing purposes.

"The Saudis do not have enough [camels] for their own consumption of meat," he says.
          Hundreds of thousands of camels are slaughtered every year during the Muslim pilgrimage, or Hajj, in Mecca.

The Saudis have traditionally imported camels from North Africa, but Mr Seidel says a combination of disease, drought and political instability has led them to look elsewhere.

Camel meat is also consumed elsewhere in the Muslim world - a fact not lost on Australian camel-exporters.

"What we're looking at is catering to Muslim countries worldwide," says Peter Seidel.

Mr Seidel says his main target is neighbouring Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/2038834.stm

Comment

MalcomBanned4, most interesting! Thank you.

Comment

charlesl is Australian. He know more about camels ........

Comment

Goat?

Outsider,

Was it possibly goat meat? I'm not aware that Tunisians are big on camel meat. Goat's are pretty popular food in much of the region though. Cooked right, it's not bad at all. In fact, I've had some a few times that were really great.

And yes, we'd be happy to send more camels to anyone that wants them. Rabbits too....

Comment

Re: Goat?

You do not eat camels’ meat in Australia?
                  Of course we can eat goat, sheep and rabbit meat. In Muslims countries, they allowed to eat everything eating glass from mammals except the donkeys.
                  In my region, we not familiar with horses and camels meat.

Originally posted by charlesl
                  Outsider,

Was it possibly goat meat? I'm not aware that Tunisians are big on camel meat. Goat's are pretty popular food in much of the region though. Cooked right, it's not bad at all. In fact, I've had some a few times that were really great.

And yes, we'd be happy to send more camels to anyone that wants them. Rabbits too....

Comment

No one eats camel here that I know....

Hi Bilal,

This is mainly a beef and lamb country! Pork is popular with some as well. Anything else is pretty much on the fringe. Kangaroo eaters are rare among the general population, although the indigenous Aboriginal people still eat them often. Fish is getting more popular now due to the health benefits. Which is why fish prices have doubled in the last few years.

I think it'll be a long while before camel meat catches on here. We have plenty of water buffalo up north that they should look at exporting as well. Now that I will eat, if they ever sell it down here. Had some when living in south-east asia and it is good tucker.

Comment

Charlesl, my meat in that Tunisian restaurant may have been goat meet, too. But I suppose goat meat is a bit like lamb meat and they didn't taste the same at all.

A few days ago I realized that horse meat is commonly used in salami, which is certainly unpleasant news to all horse lovers.

Comment

I just saw a TV documentary, where a Danish reporter was visiting a market place in Oman. A young bloke bought a young living camel and said he's going to eat it in a couple of days' time. Why should there be anything wrong with camel meat? We just don't eat it daily.

Comment

u know those humps that on camels backs.... are they used for meat????

Comment

Originally posted by StickyPeas
                            u know those humps that on camels backs.... are they used for meat????
                            Probably. Aren't they a source for reserve nourishment also?

Comment

But isnt that where all the camel fat is stored.. and o we'l be munching their fat... it that.. erm.. ok to eat?

Comment

Working...
                              X