Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charity shops

Asalamalikum

On HUKD i saw a link to this http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/ and made me think

If you see a charity shop on the road...do you hesitate before going in? Ya'nee do you get self-concious before you go in because of the "social stigma" of charity shops

Interesting to find out
    Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet :saw: said,
    "Allah will cover up on the Day of Resurrection the defects (faults) of the one who covers up the faults of the others in this world"[Muslim]

Beardyman

Re: Charity shops

I often visit charity shops to buy books for my kids, or have a browse. I don't feel weird at all.

When I was young, and my mum used to visit them, I would be self conscious - but when you get older, I don't think you care so much? Allaahu alam.
    "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

Comment

I Visit Charity Shops Often

I Like Them And Also I Like To Have A Rummage :up:
      And He found you lost and guided you,
      ~ Qur'an (Ad Duhaa) 93:7 ~

Salaah Reminders

Guide us to the straight pain.
      " Ihdina-s-sirata-l-mustaqim "
      ~ Quran 1:6 ~

الله أعلم

Comment

Are you kidding lol, i go to England for them!!!
        My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername
        Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

i go in them all the time. the books i pick up are great for a fraction of the cover price. the mrs thinks ive got a habit forming about buying books. hundreds of them in boxes in both my attics lol.

There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance.

Comment

Originally posted by SILURES View Post
            i go in them all the time. the books i pick up are great for a fraction of the cover price. the mrs thinks ive got a habit forming about buying books. hundreds of them in boxes in both my attics lol.
            SubhanAllah

i Am The Same My husband Is Constantly Telling Me To Get Rid Of Them But I Cant I :love: Them :embar:

Salaah Reminders

الله أعلم

Comment

Yea the books are pretty cool - but iam one of those guys who just loves "stuff" lol - anyone seen that one section they have in all tk maxx's where its just a load of jumble some gadgets and that stuff - i can spend an hour just looking at that stuff lol

The question...i think women feel more relaxed then men - especially people who grew up in school in england lol - "oxfam" just had the worst connotations for some reason!
              Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet :saw: said,
              "Allah will cover up on the Day of Resurrection the defects (faults) of the one who covers up the faults of the others in this world"[Muslim]

Beardyman

Comment

I Have bought Many Jilbaabs From Islamic Relif - I Even Have A Loyalty Card

Im Just Like That. Got A Brand New One For Eid £4 MashAllah

Salaah Reminders

الله أعلم

Comment

Originally posted by Umm_Adam_ View Post
                  SubhanAllah

i Am The Same My husband Is Constantly Telling Me To Get Rid Of Them But I Cant I :love: Them :embar:
                  lol and my mrs does the same but i read books at least a couple of times before they go up the attic.

Originally posted by Beardyman View Post
                  Yea the books are pretty cool - but iam one of those guys who just loves "stuff" lol - anyone seen that one section they have in all tk maxx's where its just a load of jumble some gadgets and that stuff - i can spend an hour just looking at that stuff lol

The question...i think women feel more relaxed then men - especially people who grew up in school in england lol - "oxfam" just had the worst connotations for some reason!
                  yeah it used to be (may still be) a insult to someone to say theyve shopped at oxfam lol. i normaly only go in for books but i went in one in cardiff and there was a leather bikers jacket like new that fitted me perfect. i tried all the shops and couldnt get on to fit proper but this one fitted like a glove and cost me £8.

There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance.

Comment

no i never go into charity shops nor have i been in one as far as i can remember
                    i dunno why i dont go. guess i dont need anything from there
                    just get my usuals from my usual
                    .................................................. ............ ;)................................................ ...................................

Comment

I have bought loads of books etc for the kids from charity shops for a fraction of the price (good thing too if you see the state they end up in sometimes lol!)

For those who consider buying something that has been *used* or *handled* by another person taboo, I would ask them to consider the same when they buy full price in the store with a nice shiny tag on it which was made and packed by a 5 year old on the floor of a mudhut in a slum somewhere in the world :up:
                      What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
                      Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
                      Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
                      but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
                      but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
                      We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
                      freedom from slavery to other than the One,
                      Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
                      and a horizon that extends to the next life,
                      Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

“All our handling of the child will bear fruit, not only at the moment, but in the adult they are destined to become.” Donate today! http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Comment

I would ask them to consider the same when they buy full price in the store with a nice shiny tag on it which was made and packed by a 5 year old on the floor of a mudhut in a slum somewhere in the world
                        Good Point Ukhti :)

Salaah Reminders

الله أعلم

Comment

Originally posted by SILURES View Post
                          Snap! I haven't been shopping for books that I want to read in ages (I usually just end up on amazon nowadays for course texts) but I used to buy tons of books from Oxfam because they're dirt cheap and have an interesting mix! Plus there's the added bonus of being able to mess about with them, because they're so cheap I don't mind if they become all dog-eared and worn - at least they're loved!

I love all the randomness that you can find in charity shops!

:wswrwb: Beardyman
                          It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[:saw:] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
                          -Muslim

Comment

I love all the randomness that you can find in charity shops!

I Bought My Son A DKNY Jackat For 99p In One. Great Condition :masha:

Salaah Reminders

الله أعلم

Comment

i would but round here i dont think we have ne good ones really, i do get used stuff from elsewhere @ times so dont have a problem with it
                              .: Rufaida :.
                              .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
                              http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
                              “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
                              but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
                              ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
                              <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Working...
                              X