Work opportunities for Muslim women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Work opportunities for Muslim women

salaam alikoum, interesting thread since I am in the process of trying to find a job since I recently moved back home and now I have student loans to pay (don't get me started about our educational system here!) Now that I am adult, I can't rely on my parents, and as much as I want to be a "homemaker" (I think that's the politically correct term they're using now), I have to be my sole provider.

However, I can share my experience from when I lived in France, where wearing the hijab to work (in the public sector) is not allowed and now the burqua is banned in public. Luckily I had some great connections and I landed a job teaching in a private Muslim school, which does not have to abide by those rules, thus I not only was able to do my prayers on time, but wear my hijab and work in a wonderful Islam rich environment.

Many of my Muslima friends worked, and since they refuse to remove their hijab, with reason, may Allah reward them inshAllah, they had to be very creative about jobs- many had home daycares, or babysat, those that spoke Arabic gave lessons to other Muslim women/children, some starting their own online businesses of selling clothes/books/Islamic items, some worked in family owned shops (bakery, butcher), some made oriental pastries and sold them. Really it is possible in that situation, but you have to be creative.

Comment

muslim place
      check out this blog>>>http://myworldmuslimah.wordpress.com/

Comment

Freelance writing is really an excellent option for us niqabis. I'm a online freelance writer and I couldn't be happier. I work when I want to and I get paid reasonably well. There are loads of opportunities online like Odesk and eLancer, you could try them.

Or maybe you can consider home tutoring??
        [COLOR="#800080"]The Shortest Distance between a Problem and it's Solution is the Distance between your Knees and the Floor. The one who Kneels to Allah (Azzwajal) can Stand Up to Anything.[/COLOR]

Comment

Salaam sis,

its about getting yourself out there and going to actively look.. in my experience having really good qualification helps alot
          so working behind a desk i.e. receptionist answering phone calls filing etc, is suitable for me as i stil can be covered but work to my full potential

go to like jobcentre theyl help to find a suitable job InshAllah
          .................................................. ............ ;)................................................ ...................................

Comment

At least you dont live here,if you did that would be a 1000% guarantee that you would not get a job in abaya and shayla. We dont even have muslim men doctors or dentists. Good luck on your search sis!

Comment

Theres many jobs and careers:

1. Designer (clothes, jilbaabs, jewlerry etc)
              2. Health and beauty (anything from private to full bridal)
              3. Open your own take away
              4. Fitness instructor (You'll be surprised at the number of people looking for a female trainer, muslims and non muslims)

The only limit is your mind dude, use your imagination and I ask Allah to help you
              There is rest only in the aakhira.
              Man will rest in the aakhira according to how hard he strives in dunya.

- Khaalid Ibn Al Waleed (ra) -

If you find yourself in a time where speech is regarded as knowledge,
              and knowledge is regarded as deeds,
              then you are in the worst of times, with the worst of people.

- Abu Hazim Al Ashja'i (ra) -

I saw a dog without any clothes on .
              That's right, a nude dog.
              The Deepweb is disgusting.
              - Unknown -

Links
              The Middle Road - At-Tanzil - Hifz Thread - Muslim Healthy Living
              Inheritors of Qur'aan

Download Links

Comment

Originally posted by *Aisha View Post
                At least you dont live here,if you did that would be a 1000% guarantee that you would not get a job in abaya and shayla. We dont even have muslim men doctors or dentists. Good luck on your search sis!
                Where's 'here'?

Comment

In our country we also face a severe discrimination, especially in non-muslim regions...however I managed to work in an embassy, but it was not the best position. Besides, if a person knows foreign languages, he/she can also earn the living by translations. I'm doing it know, not much money, but if I could spare more time to this work I would be able to earn more. Another friend of mine is designing clothing for muslims and sewing them too (although now I'm her most important client:))

Comment

Originally posted by Hafsah View Post
                    Where's 'here'?
                    In the town im currently in. "farmville" california

Comment

Working...
                    X