Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Work opportunities for Muslim women

Clothing

If you wear clothing or jewellery for religious reasons, your employer should make sure any dress code does not discriminate against you. A flexible dress code is usually possible, as long as health and safety requirements are not at risk.

Food

Some religions do not allow you to eat certain foods. If you do not want to handle such food (for example, if you work in a supermarket and don't want to handle pork), speak to your employer. They might be able to manage your request, provided it does not affect the business.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...rk/DG_10026449

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
    (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

My employer actually lets Muslimahs wear abayah as the uniform.
      Islamic Prints
      ~~~Muslim Vegan~~~
      PALEO!

Enormity = wicked act. Enormousness = great size. The difference: you can haz. Learn it, love it.

Comment

Assalamu Alaykum,

I am new here and actually this topic is the reason of my registration. I also wear hejab, but unlike other sisters here, I don't live in UK. I would like to, though, because my home country is full of economic and political problems, and I heard that muslims in UK are well treated (I am sure there are exception also, but... ) And I don't feel like going to Arab countries because I would be far away from home, and I wouldn't be able to travel home so often...I have bach. degree in economics, and master degree (in few months inshallah) in international trade law.

My main question is; if I apply for a vacation placement online, without putting my photo in CV, what are my chances? If I get an interview, what are the chances that will not be discriminated because of my hejab? Or there is some more certain way to apply for a job?

The advices here, such as "begin your own business" or "write a book" wouldn't work for me, because all the things I studied is actually applicable in some transnational entreprises and or government jobs. Furthermore, I have no money to start the private business.

Thanks in Advance!

mlle

Comment

Originally posted by mademoiselle View Post
          Assalamu Alaykum,

I am new here and actually this topic is the reason of my registration. I also wear hejab, but unlike other sisters here, I don't live in UK. I would like to, though, because my home country is full of economic and political problems, and I heard that muslims in UK are well treated (I am sure there are exception also, but... ) And I don't feel like going to Arab countries because I would be far away from home, and I wouldn't be able to travel home so often...I have bach. degree in economics, and master degree (in few months inshallah) in international trade law.

My main question is; if I apply for a vacation placement online, without putting my photo in CV, what are my chances? If I get an interview, what are the chances that will not be discriminated because of my hejab? Or there is some more certain way to apply for a job?

The advices here, such as "begin your own business" or "write a book" wouldn't work for me, because all the things I studied is actually applicable in some transnational entreprises and or government jobs. Furthermore, I have no money to start the private business.

Thanks in Advance!
          Asalaamu alaikum, you dont need to put a pic with your CV in the UK so that shouldnt be an issue, and in the UK they cant discriminate... its not allowed :)
          ♥ ♥ Be mindful of Allaah, and Allaah will protect you. Be mindful of Allaah and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, ask of Allaah; if you seek help. Seek help of Allaah. Know that if the nation were to gather together to benefit you with anything, it would benefit you only with something that Allaah had already prescribed for you, and that if they gather together to harm you with anything, they would harm you only with something Allaah had already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried. ♥ ♥

http://www.theislamicemailcircle.com...anner-new5.jpg

* ~ “Only those who are patient shall receive their reward in full, without reckoning.” (39:10) ~ *

Comment

↑Since you'll be working in multinational companies, I'd say you shouldn't worry about hijab at all. Most of them would expect that there will be people from diff. race, religion, culture. So, without a doubt, they'd be prepared for someone wearing hijab. It's too common, anyways.

Shouldn't be a problem. :insha: Make sure to not compromise your deen regarding hijab and any other aspect, like travelling alone or working in haram environment.
            Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
            - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Thank you both for the response. Actually, I will not put picture in my CV, but when I get to the interview, is it possible they "invent" the reason to not employ me, which is actually my hejab? I mean, do they do that? I know that it is not allowed, but many people do it anyway, right? And also, does anyone know how is it going with non EU citizens? Is it difficult to obtaint the work permit? And actually, is it impossible to apply for a job if one doesn't have the work permit? How does it work?

Comment

Thank you both for the response. Actually, I will not put picture in my CV, but when I get to the interview, is it possible they "invent" the reason to not employ me, which is actually my hejab? I mean, do they do that? I know that it is not allowed, but many people do it anyway, right? And also, does anyone know how is it going with non EU citizens? Is it difficult to obtaint the work permit? And actually, is it impossible to apply for a job if one doesn't have the work permit? How does it work?
                dont take it as an offense trust me :) if they dont hire u thats their loss, youll find something better, i work with some racist people and its hard
                ♥ ♥ Be mindful of Allaah, and Allaah will protect you. Be mindful of Allaah and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, ask of Allaah; if you seek help. Seek help of Allaah. Know that if the nation were to gather together to benefit you with anything, it would benefit you only with something that Allaah had already prescribed for you, and that if they gather together to harm you with anything, they would harm you only with something Allaah had already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried. ♥ ♥

* ~ “Only those who are patient shall receive their reward in full, without reckoning.” (39:10) ~ *

Comment

No, they won't do that. Don't worry. Hijab is very common now Alhamdulillah, and most, if not all, employers would expect it.
                  Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
                  - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

p.s.

Does any of you recommend some international company in UK (preferably London) where it would be easy to obtain an internship (even if it's non paid)? I think that would be the best way to get to know the job market there, and daily life as well.

Comment

sis its hard for even london school of law grads to get placements unless you have a first class honours.

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
                      (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

i think its quite naive to say that hijab doesnt act as a barrier...yes it is possible to get a good,professional job wearing hijab, but it is an obstacle. Nobody is going to tell you thats the reason they didnt choose you even though you may have been the strongest candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Hafsah View Post
                          i think its quite naive to say that hijab doesnt act as a barrier...yes it is possible to get a good,professional job wearing hijab, but it is an obstacle. Nobody is going to tell you thats the reason they didnt choose you even though you may have been the strongest candidate.
                          :up:

i think its fair to say they cant not give u an interview because of ur hijaab, but if they chose someone else over u and the reason is ur hijaab they aint got proof on that so it cant be dealt with

Comment

when u find another muslim working their then its a good sign :) bcos they are muslim also so they cant turn u away bcos of hijab

Comment

Selaam,

We have some vacancies available:

* DENTAL NURSE
                              * DENTAL PRACTICE MANAGER
                              * DENTAL PRACTICE ADMINISTRATOR

Unique Dental Care, a family friendly dental practice in South East London, is expanding. Vacancies (PT/FT) are available.
                              Qualified people are requested to apply. Dental nurses who are enlisted in a licensing course can apply.

More information & application procedure: http://uniquedentalcare.co.uk/vacancies.htm
                              Send covering letter + CV + 2 references written by previous employers to: Dr. Vahida Hashemi, [email protected]

Mail:
                              Unique Dental Care
                              409 Norwood Road
                              West Norwood
                              London SE27 9BU

Applications can be faxed as well: 020 8761 6103

Inshallah this information is useful for someone. Please pass it on.

Comment

I wish I were a dentist :)

Comment

Working...
                                X