Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Work opportunities for Muslim women

Originally posted by MWarrior View Post
    Hope you're not a cashier at a bank ..(sorry, seen too many)

I dont see why some muslim women who claim to 'cover up' are obsessed with having a 'career' and working. Sisters need to chill out inshallah and know that the best place for them is home.

I'm shocked when i see some sisters stressing more than men when they have no work but live with family etc and have no real fiancial problems alhamdulillah.

Look at the likes of aisha RA and other great women of the past, did they strive to have a wordly career and jobs?? Women should try and be like them for they knew better than us and they certainly did not have this mentality.
    This is capitalism and I need to work to survive, it's as simple as that.

As well, not all of us like being totally dependent on our husbands. Marriage is a risk. We don't know the future. You get divorced, and you're screwed - back to depending on mom and dad. Well, where's the human being in this woman if she lives as a parasite? Is she supposed to depend on either her husband or her mom and dad for all her life?

Personally, my family has always been financially tight and neither of them were able to provide for my needs other than food. I work, and now I spend almost entire paychecks on educational books for my own purposes, many of them are about Islam. If you want to marginalize me and discard me as one of those silly stupid foolish women, be my guest. I find that sometimes in life you have to make sacrifices in order to get to where your true destination is. I'm saving up for a car. I'll be able to come and go as I please. This includes helping my underage convert friends out financially as well as for transportation whenever they need, and for my own positive purposes. I'm saving up to leave my country for deeper studies, such as bayyinah which is about 7,000 dollars. If I didn't work, I'd never ever be able to do this. I'm working, making money, and making good use out of it.

So, please, give me a break.
    Understanding is key. Look behind the words and see the meaning. Search for the person's values, biases, goals, desires; the unstated, the underlining, the unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by Muslimahadil View Post
      This is capitalism and I need to work to survive, it's as simple as that.

As well, not all of us like being totally dependent on our husbands. Marriage is a risk. We don't know the future. You get divorced, and you're screwed - back to depending on mom and dad. Well, where's the human being in this woman if she lives as a parasite? Is she supposed to depend on either her husband or her mom and dad for all her life?
      Don't pay attention, a lot think we all live happily ever after with a brother or a husband under the bed doing the job of providing. I must have lost my brother somewhere in the fifth dimension
      My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername
      Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

To be fair, if your not getting a job in todays market its not necessarily cos your covered or whatever. Ive seen jobs online with like 200 applications..i can see myself being unemployed for a long time..
        Patience...

Comment

Originally posted by Massilia View Post
          Don't pay attention, a lot think we all live happily ever after with a brother or a husband under the bed doing the job of providing. I must have lost my brother somewhere in the fifth dimension

Comment

Originally posted by Muslimah81 View Post
            careers such as teaching, medicine and law shouldn't pose much of a problem with regard to covering.

public sector should also pretty good about employing sisters who cover as they have good equality ethics.

i don't think covering is much of a barrier but rather the avoidance of freemixing is hard to work around.
            Well, this depends on how you define 'free mixing'.. If I had to communicate with someone from the opposite gender to get some official work done (with the odd joke here and there just for fun), I don't regard this as 'free mixing'..

Back to the topic, in the corporate sector where I work, I don't think there is an issue at the junior / fresher level. But as you move up to the Vice President / Executive Director level, then I think the full veil will not be accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by carol_au View Post
              Yes.. I am in working from home as a freelancer and English teacher.. but.. my husband and I are in the process of creating an internet based freelance business for sisters who want to work from home.

It is early days yet, but insha'Allah as soon as we are ready to launch I will post details.. but you are right brother.. with some planning and preparation sisters can work from their homes .. which has the added benefit of not needing to wear hijaab outside to work each day.
              UPDATE: I just commenced a degree in Internet Communications (don't you love it.. I get a degree for writing on Facebook, Twitter and Forums LOL). This has already opened the door to many many work from home jobs working as a Communications Manager for online companies. It's a very very interesting course as well..
              .The Prophet sal Allahu alaiyhi wa sallam said, “I guarantee a house in Jannah for one who gives up arguing, even if he is in the right; and I guarantee a home in the middle of Jannah for one who abandons lying even for the sake of fun; and I guarantee a house in the highest part of Jannah for one who has good manners.”
              http://jameelah61.wordpress.com/

Comment

I have seen 1 sister working for a top global organisation as an administrator. She wore full hijab and jilbab. It is quite rare to see it.

There are brothers with sunnah beards in the city but that is a rare sight aswell.

I personally follow the view that if your awrah is fully covered, clothers are not transparent, not tightfitted you can wear 'western' clothes. I think it is important for women to work , going out into the world and learning to deal with people is a good skill to have.

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=9425&CATE=377

Comment

Originally posted by mundo View Post
                  I have seen 1 sister working for a top global organisation as an administrator. She wore full hijab and jilbab. It is quite rare to see it.

There are brothers with sunnah beards in the city but that is a rare sight aswell.

I personally follow the view that if your awrah is fully covered, clothers are not transparent, not tightfitted you can wear 'western' clothes. I think it is important for women to work , going out into the world and learning to deal with people is a good skill to have.

in my work place, there is a brother who has a sunnah beard :masha: and he covers his head also..

then me the only muslim women in the work place, i wear full hijaab and jilbaab :)

nobody says anything to me, even though some do talk about me behind my back
                  ♥ ♥ Be mindful of Allaah, and Allaah will protect you. Be mindful of Allaah and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, ask of Allaah; if you seek help. Seek help of Allaah. Know that if the nation were to gather together to benefit you with anything, it would benefit you only with something that Allaah had already prescribed for you, and that if they gather together to harm you with anything, they would harm you only with something Allaah had already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried. ♥ ♥

http://www.theislamicemailcircle.com...anner-new5.jpg

* ~ “Only those who are patient shall receive their reward in full, without reckoning.” (39:10) ~ *

Comment

i kno where the OP is coming from. u can't really mix wid opposite gender. so yor options are limited.

Comment

Originally posted by weird View Post
                      i kno where the OP is coming from. u can't really mix wid opposite gender. so yor options are limited.
                      being in a workplace you dont necessarily need to free mix... i dont :) i work with a lot of guys, but the contact is minimal... by phone or email... dont really sit next to any guys though... im in between 3 women
                      ♥ ♥ Be mindful of Allaah, and Allaah will protect you. Be mindful of Allaah and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, ask of Allaah; if you seek help. Seek help of Allaah. Know that if the nation were to gather together to benefit you with anything, it would benefit you only with something that Allaah had already prescribed for you, and that if they gather together to harm you with anything, they would harm you only with something Allaah had already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried. ♥ ♥

* ~ “Only those who are patient shall receive their reward in full, without reckoning.” (39:10) ~ *

Comment

It shouldn't resemble men's clothing or that of the non-Muslims.

Originally posted by Muslimah_Alisha View Post
                        in my work place, there is a brother who has a sunnah beard :masha: and he covers his head also..

then me the only muslim women in the work place, i wear full hijaab and jilbaab :)
                        :masha:
                        Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
                        - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

being in a workplace you dont necessarily need to free mix... i dont :) i work with a lot of guys, but the contact is minimal... by phone or email... dont really sit next to any guys though... im in between 3 women
                          like a call center kind of thing?

but i thought free mixing meant being in the same place as men. so forexample u may never speak to them but u still work with them in the same enviroment.

Comment

Originally posted by weird View Post
                            like a call center kind of thing?

but i thought free mixing meant being in the same place as men. so forexample u may never speak to them but u still work with them in the same enviroment.
                            well me i work in administation... and there is guys around.... but all i really do is just walk past them, the odd occasion i may need to speak to them.. but my team is made up of all women so the only contact i have daily with males, are my engineers and all i do is give them their work and speak to them on the phone or its the tenants who ring in... which i cant get away from, anything else i avoid..

but i think now a days, you cant have a 100% halal job... like all men all women no mixes... doesnt work like that so i guess from a women working... it would be the same for a man, as most men work instead of their wifes, when they are at work they are around women... :)

women who dont cover modestly, so they may be fitna for them ya know... just a thought

Comment

nobody says anything to me, even though some do talk about me behind my back
                              Wow. Respect. MashAllah

As a guy I do feel somethimes I get dirty looks on the streets let alone when I walk into meetings with new people. As a girl I can imagine its 100 times worse as people hold stronger views aginst hijab + jilbab then they do against full beards. But wow that takes courage.

I don't think ur the girl I was talking about though, she wasnt in B'ham.

Comment

Wow. Respect. MashAllah

As a guy I do feel somethimes I get dirty looks on the streets let alone when I walk into meetings with new people. As a girl I can imagine its 100 times worse as people hold stronger views aginst hijab + jilbab then they do against full beards. But wow that takes courage.

I don't think ur the girl I was talking about though, she wasnt in B'ham.
                                lol i didnt think you was on about me anyway i just said this as im in the same situation...

well yeah it can be tough.. as some women are like half naked and ask me why im covering myself so much...

and i work with my mum so its awkward when new people start and my mum tells people im her daughter as they dont quite know what to say or think

Comment

Working...
                                X