Work opportunities for Muslim women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work opportunities for Muslim women

For a Muslim woman who covers herself utterly, what are the chances of her finding a job or dare I say, career, without compromising her religion?

I'd say next to zero, and I'm hopeless.
    Understanding is key. Look behind the words and see the meaning. Search for the person's values, biases, goals, desires; the unstated, the underlining, the unknown.

Re: Work opportunities for Muslim women

:salams

No you're not.

Why not look for work in a muslim owned business?
    A Islamic bookstore.
    Islamic school.

Or try working from home.
    Home-owned busness.
    Working as a freelance from home.

Or you can try looking for a government job. I'm sure they'll allow you to observe hijab.
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

It's best you start your own business nothing better than being the boss
      My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername
      Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

it is really hard to get a job, especially with a Hijab, Jilbab, and well my sister wears a Nikab and its even worse :-( But the areas were its heavily populated with Asians/Muslims tend to be more successful in getting a job in! x

Comment

What's wrong with a career?

There are jobs, you've just got to apply an filter as you do. Don't sweat over it tho'. Rizq is from Allah
          (The hypocrites) will call the believers: "Were we not with you?" The believers will reply: "Yes! But you led yourselves into temptations, you looked forward for our destruction; you doubted (in Faith); and you were deceived by false desires, till the Command of Allah came to pass. And the chief deceiver (Satan) deceived you in respect of Allah."57:14

Comment

working from home would be ideal!

Comment

It depends on your rizq I guess. I cover up but work for a major international company and have no issues (alhumdhullilah). Remember that Allah is the best of planners!

Visit: www.muslim-mums.co.uk

Comment

write a book, become an author
                sigpic

Comment

careers such as teaching, medicine and law shouldn't pose much of a problem with regard to covering.

public sector should also pretty good about employing sisters who cover as they have good equality ethics.

i don't think covering is much of a barrier but rather the avoidance of freemixing is hard to work around.

Comment

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
                    :salams

No you're not.

Why not look for work in a muslim owned business?
                    A Islamic bookstore.
                    Islamic school.

Or try working from home.
                    Home-owned busness.
                    Working as a freelance from home.

Or you can try looking for a government job. I'm sure they'll allow you to observe hijab.
                    Yes.. I am in working from home as a freelancer and English teacher.. but.. my husband and I are in the process of creating an internet based freelance business for sisters who want to work from home.

It is early days yet, but insha'Allah as soon as we are ready to launch I will post details.. but you are right brother.. with some planning and preparation sisters can work from their homes .. which has the added benefit of not needing to wear hijaab outside to work each day.
                    .The Prophet sal Allahu alaiyhi wa sallam said, “I guarantee a house in Jannah for one who gives up arguing, even if he is in the right; and I guarantee a home in the middle of Jannah for one who abandons lying even for the sake of fun; and I guarantee a house in the highest part of Jannah for one who has good manners.”
                    http://jameelah61.wordpress.com/

Comment

Oh goodness. I'm surprised to see how completely unrealistic, and idealistic the lot of you are. I guess y'all just haven't lived yet, that's the only way I can understand these types of comments.

Update: I'm a cashier wearing a uniform.
                      Understanding is key. Look behind the words and see the meaning. Search for the person's values, biases, goals, desires; the unstated, the underlining, the unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by Muslimahadil View Post
                        Oh goodness. I'm surprised to see how completely unrealistic, and idealistic the lot of you are. I guess y'all just haven't lived yet, that's the only way I can understand these types of comments.

People do those things, sister. It's true, though, it might be harder.

But, whatever you do, :insha: keep deen first (not saying you're not) and may Allah be pleased with you and put barakah in your work.
                        Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."

Comment

For a Muslim woman who covers herself utterly, what are the chances of her finding a job or dare I say, career, without compromising her religion?

I'd say next to zero, and I'm hopeless.
                          i work :) and i dont get treated differently, wel my mum works there too though
                          ♥ ♥ Be mindful of Allaah, and Allaah will protect you. Be mindful of Allaah and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, ask of Allaah; if you seek help. Seek help of Allaah. Know that if the nation were to gather together to benefit you with anything, it would benefit you only with something that Allaah had already prescribed for you, and that if they gather together to harm you with anything, they would harm you only with something Allaah had already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the pages have dried. ♥ ♥

http://www.theislamicemailcircle.com...anner-new5.jpg

* ~ “Only those who are patient shall receive their reward in full, without reckoning.” (39:10) ~ *

Comment

Hope you're not a cashier at a bank ..(sorry, seen too many)

I dont see why some muslim women who claim to 'cover up' are obsessed with having a 'career' and working. Sisters need to chill out inshallah and know that the best place for them is home.

I'm shocked when i see some sisters stressing more than men when they have no work but live with family etc and have no real fiancial problems alhamdulillah.

Look at the likes of aisha RA and other great women of the past, did they strive to have a wordly career and jobs?? Women should try and be like them for they knew better than us and they certainly did not have this mentality.
                            Last edited by MWarrior; 30-08-11, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MWarrior View Post
                              Hope you're not a cashier at a bank ?

I dont see why some muslim women who claim to 'cover up' are obsessed with having a 'career' and working. Sisters need to chill out inshallah and know that the best place for them is home.
                              Oh, boy, you just created that spark. I hope this doesn't create a big fire in here.

Anyways, she might have a valid reason to work. So, it's between her and Allah.

Comment

Working...
                              X