Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do if you were told that you only had a few weeks to live?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do if you were told that you only had a few weeks to live?

:salams

Life and death is of course in the hands of Allah Ta'ala and no other, and no one knows your time of death except Him

However, let's just imagine you go to the doctors because you feel under the weather. He does a few blood tests and sends you home. You get a phone call a few days later and it's your doctor calling and he wants you to book an appointment to visit him asap. You book your appointment, you sit across him, and he drops a huge bombshell...from the tests there's something seriously wrong with you and he says there's nothing you can do, it's too late, you have approximately 3 months to live.

What would you do???

You accept that your time on this earth is short, and you know there's nothing you can do except make dua that you live longer.

How short does life seem to you now? What are you going to do first? How many nights are you going to stay awake in worship after all the time that you have lost/wasted? Can we imagine how desperate we would be to fit in as much worship as possible?
    What about your family? Would you use every spare moment to sit with them and enjoy their company instead of hiding yourself away in your room, doing your own thing?

A brother that I know of was told this exact thing, and it really, really opened my eyes.

I think it's such an effective way of thinking...to think that you have only a few weeks left to live. How we would live our lives so differently!
    Of course there is no guarantee that we will live the next second never mind the next few weeks. This is of course easy to say but not so easy to truly believe.

So let's start living like we don't have long to live inshaAllah. And please make dua for the brother :jkk:

Wasalaam
    "You are the best nation raised up for men. You enjoin good and forbid evil, and you believe in Allah." (Surah Al Imran 3:110)

Re: What would you do if you were told that you only had a few weeks to live?

Asalaamu Alaikum...

I've met alot of people who have been told the same thing... and yet they're still alive till this day.. even if that does happen, it doesn't mean that a person should give up.. you turn to Allah in i'badah and duaa.. because everything time, life, and death is in His hands.. but yes, hearing this is definitely an eye opener. So if it were to happen I would spend every second in trying to please Allah SWT, and yes that does include sepnding time with your family, asking for fogiveness, and busying myself with acts of ibadah more than my usual.. I think the best advice is the one where we were told that if we make it to the morning not to wait till the evening and vice versa. It's hard trying to not get caught up in this dunya.. but we should always try our best, and link our akhira in every way we can to our dunya... Allahu al musta3aan
    الحق لا يعرف بالرجال، اعرف الحق تعرف رجاله

Comment

So true. It is soo easy to get caught up in dunya, so many distractions especially nowadays.
      I picture death as a countdown timer, you know like the ones they have on new years eve. Everyone's got their own countdown timer, it's just that we don't know the numbers on there. One of us could have 200 days 3 hours 4 seconds, another one of us could have 3000 days 15 hours 43 seconds, we've all got one and it's counting down to zero, never stops counting down. Imagine if we could see the numbers? SubhanAllah!
      "You are the best nation raised up for men. You enjoin good and forbid evil, and you believe in Allah." (Surah Al Imran 3:110)

Comment

Not that we shouldn't already be living like every day is the last but I can imagine many a 'Muslim butt' becoming 'whole Muslims'.
        Allah will ask on the Day of Judgment: “Where are those who loved each other for the sake of My glory? Today, on a day when there is no shade but Mine, I shall shade them with My shade.”(Muslim)

"Zendagi Migzara..."

Comment

I would perform Hajj (or at least Umrah) immediately since I had not done that yet
          Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Comment

:wswrwb:

Tough question.

I'd improve myself even more, I suppose, should be doing that regardless, as a matter of fact.

Tough question.

Originally posted by NeverGoodEnough View Post
            Not that we shouldn't already be living like every day is the last but I can imagine many a 'Muslim butt' becoming 'whole Muslims'.
            Lol, Yusuf Estes.

But, that's sad, indeed, that they don't realize the importance of deen and temporariness of life and need such a huge reminder.
            Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
            - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

I'd go to Madinah.
              وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

Dp.
                Last edited by .mirror.; 05-04-11, 10:10 PM.
                Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
                - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Originally posted by Jenicca View Post
                  I'd go to Madinah.
                  Madinah.. :(

Inshaa'Allah.
                  Allah will ask on the Day of Judgment: “Where are those who loved each other for the sake of My glory? Today, on a day when there is no shade but Mine, I shall shade them with My shade.”(Muslim)

"Zendagi Migzara..."

Comment

:wswrwb:

:jkk: a poignant reminder, proudy.
                    It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[:saw:] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
                    -Muslim

Comment

that's a really sobering thought.

isn't there a hadith saying when we waken we shouldn't expect to see the evening and when we go to sleep we shouldn't expect to see the morning?

we really should be doing our utmost regardless...

:jkk: sis

Comment

I can't imagine that I'd do things any differently.... maybe make more effort to leave a record of my thoughts behind; a blog or vlog or something cos' I wouldn't want anything important left unsaid but that's about it.
                        The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Leave this place. No way im dying in the land of the of the Mushrikeen, Insha'Allah.

Comment

get married , cant die without getting married

Comment

All praise is for Allah, and peace be upon the Prophet.

This is very good way to think about the meaning of life, and the Messenger of Allah (peace been upon him) also taught us to think of this world only as a small station from where we have to depart soon. On the authority of Ibn 'Umar, radiyallahu 'anhuma, who said: The Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, took me by the shoulder and said:

"Be in this world as though you were a stranger or a traveler/wayfarer."

Ibn 'Umar used to say:
                              "When evening comes, do not expect (to live till) morning, and when morning comes, do not expect (to live till) evening. Take from your health (a preparation) for your illness, and from your life for your death."

[Al-Bukhari

The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) also taught us to visit graveyards so that we remember death.

I was very impressed by the Stephan Covey’s Book Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. He talks about the second habit as ‘begin with the end in mind.’ He asks the reader to imagine that the reader has died and now some people are giving short speeches on his life, what would the reader like them to say. If you think from that perspective, you don’t want people to talk about your achievements in this life, but you want them to talk about your as a person. This perspective opens up the vision that what you really want from this life is love and appreciation of people, not big assets or remarkable achievements. For Muslims, the end is very clear, the Day of the Judgement. If we begin everything with this end in mind, things are definitely going to be alright.

I think a Muslim is really following the right path and has true tawakkal when he learns that he is going to die in a short time and he is not shocked by the news. He will definitely feel sad, because this is how human hearts are made, but he will not be shocked because he will have faith in his good deeds and mercy and power of Allah to sort all affairs.

The following link has more explanation on the hadith quoted above.

http://fortyhadith.iiu.edu.my/hadith40.htm
                              [103:003] Except those who believe and do righteous good deeds, and recommend one another to the truth, and recommend one another to patience

My blog link: [url]http://beliefinunseen.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Working...
                              X