Marriage Keeps Wives Fit; Husbands Get Flabby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Keeps Wives Fit; Husbands Get Flabby

Women in relationships always seem to get the short end of the stick. Study after study has found that women put on weight after they get married and have a difficult time losing it after they have children. But a new study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology has found that men are more likely to ease up on their fitness routines after the wedding bells have quieted down than women are, which could lead to late-life weight gain.

The details: The authors used survey data from a long-running study conducted on adults at a clinic in Texas. Their sample included 8,871 participants—a majority of whom were men—who had undergone an initial treadmill fitness test and a second follow-up test about three years later. Those results were then compared with each person's marital status when he or she came in for the initial test and for the follow-up.

Most (about 85 percent) of the participants were married at both the start of the study and at follow-up. Among the remaining 15 percent of participants, fitness scores remained constant among men who remained single, but they declined for single men who got married.

Tips

If you want your husband to keep up his exercise routine without coming across as a nag, here are a few suggestions:

Find "friendly" activities for him
    . "Say you belong to a gym and you notice the facility has some recreational team sports leagues, like basketball or baseball," says Jessica Matthews MS, RYT, certification director and exercise physiologist with the American Council on Exercise. "Bring that to his attention." Sports and other team activities are easy venues for men to socialize and get that friend-inspired support to keep him interested. "If your gym doesn't offer those kinds of recreational sports leagues, research some of the leagues in your area. It definitely gives them that positive encouragement without coming across as pushy," she says.

Let him off the leash
    . You don't always have to do things together. Women and men are drawn to different forms of physical exercise, says Matthews. Women lean toward cardiovascular exercises, such as spin classes or running oon a treadmill, while men generally favor weight lifting and other forms of strength training. So, while it's good to do things together as a couple, such as going on hikes or bike rides on the weekend, recognize that not every "exercise" has to be a couple's activity. "Some people like to go to the gym alone or exercise on their own," says Matthews. If you do feel like your husband isn't hitting the gym often enough, convince him to go with you, but then go your separate ways once you get there.

Recognize that the gym
    isn't the only place to improve your fitness levels. "Don't always think of exercise as time spent at the gym," says Matthews. "Go outside and play with your kids—play a game of tag, throw the baseball around. People assume that if they're not sweating profusely, it's not really exercise." For instance, walking the dog for 30 minutes will burn 167 calories in a 200-pound individual, and playing with your children for 30 minutes will burn 191 calories.

Clean together. If you really want to get your husband to exercise and help you around the house, get him to clean.Cleaning house, studies have shown, lowers your risk of an early death by 31 percent, and 30 minutes of dusting, straightening up, and other light household chores burn as much as 119 calories for a 200-pound adult.

Turn off the TV. One last exercise motivator that can help hubbie and wife alike is simply turning off the TV. A study published earlier this year found that people who watched no more than three hours of TV per day burned 119 calories more per day than people who watched an unlimited amount of TV. Maybe because they spent more time cleaning?

yahoo.com

Re: Marriage Keeps Wives Fit; Husbands Get Flabby

Women have a valid excuse= children

Men have no excuse besides= food This is a generalisation of course!

Men should become even more fit after marriage to protect his family.
    "Do they not see the birds above them, spreading out their wings and folding them in? None upholds them except the Most Gracious. Verily, He is the All-Seer of everything" ..Surah Mulk..

Comment

women whine
      Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
      فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Comment

Men Eat
        The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '
        (Shaikh Maulana Muhammad Yusuf)
        In Lam Takun Ghaadiban Annee Falaa Ubaalee...

Comment

Makes perfect sense actually, assuming that a married couple have children and the woman stays home while he goes to work. She will burn a few thousand calories everyday cleaning the home and chasing after the kids while he will just spend 40 hours a week sitting at work (most jobs involve sitting in one place) and then he wont help with the kids and the house chores.

Men have to help the wife with these otherwise it will mean poor health and an early death for many.
          Allah will ask on the Day of Judgment: “Where are those who loved each other for the sake of My glory? Today, on a day when there is no shade but Mine, I shall shade them with My shade.”(Muslim)

"Zendagi Migzara..."

Comment

women r arrogant.
            Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
            فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Comment

common occurrence almost everywhere nowadays. men have to be careful with flabbiness, usually hidden diseases lurking beneath it. (note to self as well)

Comment

Originally posted by IbnulQayyim View Post
                women r arrogant.
                Lol, what's your beef with the women folk?
                Allah will ask on the Day of Judgment: “Where are those who loved each other for the sake of My glory? Today, on a day when there is no shade but Mine, I shall shade them with My shade.”(Muslim)

"Zendagi Migzara..."

Comment

Even if both spouses work, the man still seems to end up with a belly. Must be all that eating and no helping out around the house.....
                  You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

Comment

men do so much work outside the house while women take care of things inside the house. And ur telling me the guy gets fat? ... well maybe its cause u cook in high fat oil. ITS UR FAULT!

Comment

uhh...most women don't want to exercise anyway. They might break a nail or, SHOCK, might get a little sweaty and mess up their hair. Oh no.
                      I know certain women who won't even put the bins out unless they are proper done up lol

/sexist comments

Generally, everyone in the West is getting fatter. It's just a fact. It's the sedentary lifestyle; everything is at arm's length or a short hop in the car (even if it's the corner shop).

I love going on a nice walk or hiking up a mountain somewhere, howmany women like that? Very few.

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post
                        men do so much work outside the house while women take care of things inside the house. And ur telling me the guy gets fat? ... well maybe its cause u cook in high fat oil. ITS UR FAULT!
                        Um, actually, that's his fault for eating what she cooks because he's too lazy to make or buy something healthier for himself. That's even more true when you consider that since the study was of non-Muslims in the US, most wives probably worked outside the home and contributed to expenses.

Originally posted by badr_ View Post
                        I love going on a nice walk or hiking up a mountain somewhere, howmany women like that? Very few.
                        I used to run marathons, and still love running. How many men on this board would be fine with their wives going for a jog around the neighborhood?

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleMuslimah View Post
                          I used to run marathons, and still love running. How many men on this board would be fine with their wives going for a jog around the neighborhood?
                          Dressed appropriately and in the daytime, why not (if it's a generally safe neighbourhood that is).

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleMuslimah View Post
                            Um, actually, that's his fault for eating what she cooks because he's too lazy to make or buy something healthier for himself. That's even more true when you consider that since the study was of non-Muslims in the US, most wives probably worked outside the home and contributed to expenses.
                            he has a wife to cook for him thats why she works in the house. If the man works like that outside the house then he will be fired.

me if she is covered up right.

Comment

Working...
                            X