I starred in EMMERDALE the other day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I starred in EMMERDALE the other day!

Relax, I don't watch it too. :up: However...

--------------------------------------------------

- My family (including my BABY BROTHER - who has Down Syndrome!!!) made an appearance on ITV's popular soap drama, 'Emmerdale'. There was an emerging Down Syndrome storyline in Emmerdale featuring characters Rhona, Marlon and Paddy and their journey through pre-natal screening.

--------------------------------------------------

Just to clarify, we participated in this episode to RAISE AWARENESS that people with a so-called disability can still live normal, but more importantly happy, lives. To cocoon a disabled person from society and/or be embarassed, would make social integration less accessible for that person. Even if my little brother does have difficulties in the future we will remain patient as "defeat is not the worst of failures, not to have tried is the true failure".

:inlove::inlove::inlove:

Re: I starred in EMMERDALE the other day!

what's emmerdale? :D :D

but on another note, I think its strange how parents to be are pushed to have the down syndrome screening done...as if to say if their child MIGHT have it (because even the screening is not 100%) they have the option to abort? Which is extremely sad! And if the mother turns around the rejects the screening she is met with strange looks/ comments by the midwives as if to say 'don't you want to know?!' to which the reply should be... 'will it make a difference? I will still carry the baby...'
    What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
    Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
    Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
    but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
    but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
    We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
    freedom from slavery to other than the One,
    Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
    and a horizon that extends to the next life,
    Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Comment

when did u cum on emmerdale??..which day??...

Comment

Originally posted by ze leetle elper View Post

but on another note, I think its strange how parents to be are pushed to have the down syndrome screening done...as if to say if their child MIGHT have it (because even the screening is not 100%) they have the option to abort? Which is extremely sad! And if the mother turns around the rejects the screening she is met with strange looks/ comments by the midwives as if to say 'don't you want to know?!' to which the reply should be... 'will it make a difference? I will still carry the baby...'
        I don't agree with this screening breening stuff. Anyway...

Unfortunately, society has changed. These women that abort their babies, they lack remorse. I don't know how they go ahead with it. It's a despicable act.

Comment

Originally posted by Desi-Fly-Chick- View Post
          when did u cum on emmerdale??..which day??...
          Monday 7th March!

Comment

I don't watch it, yer should have told me in advance. I'd have recorded it (joke). Yer gonna be well famous now ent yer with yer 5 mins of fame!

You alright arkid? How's the driving going? :p
            Last edited by Zebunissa; 11-03-11, 01:10 PM.
            "Meet people in such a manner that if you die, they should weep for you, and if you live, they should long for you." Hadhrat Ali-Ibn-Talib (RadiAllaah Anhu)
            Shan-e-Aisha

Comment

Originally posted by Zebunissa View Post
              I don't watch it, yer should have told me in advance. I'd have recorded it (joke). Yer gonna be well famous now ent yer with yer 5 mins of fame!

You alright arkid? How's the driving going? :p

Comment

Hey I watch Emmerdale and I watched that episode! Which one were you? I'll watch the repeat omnibus at the weekend.
                Alhumdulillah

Comment

Who watches Emmerdale ?!

Comment

Originally posted by ze leetle elper View Post

I agree!! When I had my first daughter I turned down all screening tests except for those where the baby would be treated in utero (e.g. operating on a foetus, which is what can be done nowadays mashaAllah) so I had the ultrasound scans but none of the other tests. To be honest I would have been more worried waiting for all the results than simply not knowing anything and having no results to wait for. Even if you have all the screening tests there's no guarantee that the baby won't have some other condition they can't screen for, so I don't see how it makes a big difference. here in Saudi they only do the ultrasound scans and all other tests are for e.g. to spot problems like pre-eclampsia or maternal diabetes etc that can be treated during pregnancy. it was a lot less stressful to just go through pregnancy without even hearing the words "screening tests" than to keep on being asked "are you sure you don't want xyz test" kinds of questions. Even being asked the question then turning down the test put the idea in my mind that i was not doing the best for my child, like what if she had downs and I didn't know, even though, rationally, I didn't mind if she did, becaues I've worked with DS kids and they were very happy and capable in their own way, just because they're not going to be as clever as average doesn't mean they can't lead full lives, and just because there are extra challenges in raising them, it doesn't mean that it's not going to be worth it at the end of the day!! There are kids with much worse disabilities than DS whose parents love them to bits and wouldn't change them for a non-handicapped child. I understand that some parents want to know in advance, but even if you didn't know in advance you can still find out after the baby's born. Some conditions like autism aren't diagnosable at birth and you find out later from how the child develops.
                    [CENTER]
                    [/CENTER]
                    [CENTER]
                    [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by MrOnline View Post
                      I don't agree with this screening breening stuff. Anyway...

Unfortunately, society has changed. These women that abort their babies, they lack remorse. I don't know how they go ahead with it. It's a despicable act.
                      yeah but some of that is the fault of the hospitals, where they imply that having a DS baby is nothing short of a disaster mothers are being expected to make a decision on this without even knowing what DS is... so if Emmerdale are showing DS kids as part of this awareness thing then :up: that's really good mashaAllah.
                      [CENTER]
                      [/CENTER]
                      [CENTER]
                      [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                      [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

i have to say i never felt pressured to have the tests and the mw even told me if you gonna keep the baby either way then theres no point

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
                        (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X