Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do when someone is choking?

:salams

I was reading about choking the other day and came across some interesting figures.
    Anyone can choke when eating, sadly, many people don't know what to do to help them.
    • According to a report from the National Safety Council, choking causes 3,900 deaths per year, which makes choking the sixth leading cause of accidental death in the United States.

• Within about four minutes [of choking] the victim will suffer permanent brain damage.

• Within about five minutes [of choking] the victim will be dead.

Symptoms of Choking:
    • Choking victim is unable to breathe or to speak.
    • Then, because not enough oxygen is reaching the brain, the victim becomes pale, turns blue, and falls unconscious.

What to do? Apply the Heimlich Maneuver!

Standing:
    • Stand behind the victim and put both your arms around his waist.
    • Let his head, arms, and upper torso hang forward.
    • Make a fist with one hand and place it thumb side in against the victim’s abdomen—slightly above the navel but below the rib cage.
    • Then cover the first with your other hand and press into the abdomen with a quick upward thrust, bending your arms at the elbows.

Sitting:
    • Kneel behind him.
    • Put your arms around both him and the chair, and perform the maneuver in the same way.

Lying down:
    • Lay the person flat on his back, with his face turned upward (not to the side).
    • Kneel straddling the victim. Do not try to perform the maneuver from the side, because you could rupture the victim’s liver or spleen.
    • Place the heel of one hand against the choking victim’s abdomen, above the navel but below the ribs.
    • Put your other hand on top of the first one and press into the victim’s abdomen with a quick upward thrust.

Here's a demo:

Extracted from The Heimlich Maneuver, by Kelly Marti
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Re: What to do when someone is choking?

JazakAllah khayr akhi .... useful thred indeed.
    Jannah is my aim

Comment

i remember i swallowed an ice cube once and was choking , i banged myself with the wall like 5x in desperation cause i felt like i was dying and it fortunately went down ...

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post
        i remember i swallowed an ice cube once and was choking , i banged myself with the wall like 5x in desperation cause i felt like i was dying and it fortunately went down ...
        There's something called self Heimlich maneuver. You perform it on yourself when no one's there to help.

Read up:
        http://affinity-health.adam.com/cont...d=1&gid=001983
        Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
        - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Working...
        X