Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I allowed to donate blood?

Assalaam Alikum.

The local Walmart where I work is having a blood drive (for donating blood) on Monday and I would like to donate some blood. I've never done this before.

Am I allowed to donate blood?
    Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Re: Am I allowed to donate blood?

:wswrwb:

Do it!
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Mufti Muhammad Ibn Adam:
      it would be permitted to donate and transfuse blood under the following conditions:

a) The donor is mature and sane,

b) The donor willingly donates his blood. If he is compelled to do so, it will not be permissible,

c) There is no apparent risk to the life or health of the donor,

d) There is absolute necessity in donating blood in that there is a definite risk to the life of a patient, and in the opinion of the medical expert, there is no other way of saving his/her life,

e) There is a need for it, that is, there is no risk to the life, but in the opinion of the experts, restoration of health may not be possible without it,

f) There is no alternative,

g) It is not for the sake of beatification or any other additional benefit,

h) Transfusion of blood must not be carried out by way of buying and selling, for trading in human parts is never permissible. However, if one is in need of blood desperately and the only means to obtain the blood is to purchase it, then only will it be permissible to pay for the blood. This is discussed further in the following section
      Mufti Ebrahim Desai sahib :

Q: Can Muslims donate/transfuse blood?

A: It is permissible to donate and transfuse blood if:

a) There is a desperate need to donate blood; b) There is no other alternative; and

c) This has been prescribed by an expert medical practitioner.

This permissibility is based on the principal of ‘necessity relaxes prohibition’. (Al-Ashbaah).

However, the permissibility of blood donation and blood transfusion is determined by the following conditions:

a) The donor willingly donates his blood. If he is compelled to do so, it will not be permissible;

b) There is no danger to his (the donor’s) life or health;

c) If the doctor feels that the patient will lose his life and there is no other alternative but recourse of blood transfusion; and

d) There is no fear of death but the recovery is not possible without blood transfusion.

It is not permissible to sell one’s blood or to pay the blood donor. However, if one is in need of blood desperately and the only means to obtain the blood is to purchase it, then only will it be permissible to pay for the blood.

NB. Blood donation and blood transfusion is not permissible for the sake of beautification or for any other reason other than genuine necessity.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
      Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
      فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Comment

↑I read that but he's not clear whether it's OK for blood donation for future use by strangers.
        Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
        - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

So Wolfn wants to sell his blood?

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
          فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Comment

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
            ↑I read that but he's not clear whether it's OK for blood donation for future use by strangers.
            I think it is clear from the Mufti that it is permissable. The only way people survive blood loss is because strangers give blood. There is never an alternative or the alternative has not good side effects. Everyone should give blood me included as I never have.

To the OP the benefits mashAllah will be numerous as your blood gets split up and goes to help several people like people with cancer/young people in road traffic accidents/people born with blood problems. I know of some people who have had a transfusion and subhanAllah they would not be on this earth today if it was not for Allah giving us this ability.
            Last edited by Pinkpink; 04-03-11, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Question's been on my mind for some time too.

I live in a muslim country, so whats the opinion of donating blood to the blood bank?

Comment

The opinion I have heard from my Shaykh is very similar to above, the main point being that the person donating cannot get any benefit out of it (like gifts or money).
                Hadith, Fiqh and Tafsir Scholarship
                http://www.al-salam.co.uk/[B][COLOR="#006400"]

Comment

Do donate blood if you are able to do so! You don't get paid etc for donating (in the UK you don't anyway) so that solves that issue. The blood banks are always low and moreso if you have a specific blood group like O positive because your blood can be used for anyone for example in emergencies etc :up:
                  What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
                  Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
                  Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
                  but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
                  but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
                  We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
                  freedom from slavery to other than the One,
                  Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
                  and a horizon that extends to the next life,
                  Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Comment

dude , donate ur funky footwear

Comment

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
                      well it would be if it's done by the NHS in britain because it would only be used when it's necessary to save someone's life and there's no alternative, because they are always short of blood, and they don't accept money for donations, and you have to be over 18 and sane to give blood.

I don't know if blood drives like this in other countries would be halal, because in some countries they pay for donations (the NHS don't because they worry that poor people would lie about their health in order to donate when it's not safe to do so)
                      [CENTER]
                      [/CENTER]
                      [CENTER]
                      [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                      [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

good question.

are we also allowed to donate body parts? like kidney, heart, eyes, liver etc.

Comment

Please search AskImaam advanced search for that @Bint-Al-Islam.

Comment

Originally posted by Bint-Al-Islam View Post
                            good question.

are we also allowed to donate body parts? like kidney, heart, eyes, liver etc.
                            No.
                            "Treat people in such a way and live amongst them in such a manner that if you die they weep over you, and when you are alive, they crave for your company"

[Hadhrat Ali R.A]

Comment

Originally posted by IbnulQayyim View Post
                              So Wolfn wants to sell his blood?
                              I'm not going to sell. Just donate
                              Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X