Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting Istanbul

Salam

I've been wanting to go Istanbul for a while and checkout it's Islamic history as a short break. For the brothers and sisters that have been how did u feel and how were you were treated as a practising Muslim?
    which Islamic sites did you checkout?
    Is there anything to see on eastern side of Istanbul?

Any advice for a brother who's thinking of going?

JazakALLAH
    "A single day of a Lions life is worth more than a hundered years of the life of a fox" (Final moments of Tipu Sultan)
    "don't weep like a woman for what you could not defend as a man" (mother of Muhammad XII, Final moments of Muslim rule in Spain)

Re: Visiting Istanbul

:wswrwb:

I made a thread about Istanbul about 8 months back. I'll post a link when I find it.

But to summarise. As a practicing Muslim with a family with me, alhamdulillah no problems. Sometimes we get taken in by the lie that Turkish Muslims are completely secular and a practicing person will feel out of place but in Istanbul it certainly feels like a Muslim city and Muslims are alive and well there alhamdulillah.
    Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Comment

no problems at all as a 'practising muslim' there are many there anyway? only problem may be if you want to visit the universities etc, if you are a woman they will not let you enter with hijab etc...having said that you probably don't want to visit the universities anyway lol, otherwise its fine, even in the european areas, you do not feel out of place or anything. there are so many sites/ places to visit, too many to remember now, inshaAllah will post again another time.
      What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
      Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
      Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
      but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
      but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
      We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
      freedom from slavery to other than the One,
      Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
      and a horizon that extends to the next life,
      Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

“All our handling of the child will bear fruit, not only at the moment, but in the adult they are destined to become.” Donate today! http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Comment

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...bul&highlight=
        Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Comment

:salams

I plan to visit Istanbul for a week in April, :insha:

I think I've already narrowed down all the sites I want to visit; Blue Masjid, Topkapi Palace, The Bazaar, Sulemaniye Masrassah and the graves of Abu Ayub al Ansari (ra) and the Prophet Yusha (as). Any tips you guys can give for the last three would be very appreciated as I understand they are not easy to find.

Are there any other places I have left out that I must see?

One main concern is that I am looking for cheap accommodation that is within walking distance of at least a few of these sites. So I'm hoping I can get a recommendation from someone here, :insha:
          Allah will ask on the Day of Judgment: “Where are those who loved each other for the sake of My glory? Today, on a day when there is no shade but Mine, I shall shade them with My shade.”(Muslim)

"Zendagi Migzara..."

Comment

What is the bhosphorus cruise?
            Allah will ask on the Day of Judgment: “Where are those who loved each other for the sake of My glory? Today, on a day when there is no shade but Mine, I shall shade them with My shade.”(Muslim)

"Zendagi Migzara..."

Comment

Originally posted by NeverGoodEnough View Post
              :

Are there any other places I have left out that I must see?

One main concern is that I am looking for cheap accommodation that is within walking distance of at least a few of these sites. So I'm hoping I can get a recommendation from someone here, :insha:
              Whats Cheap to you?

Comment

Never mind, I'm already booked.

I just need tourist advice for when I'm there, :insha:

"Zendagi Migzara..."

Comment

I really recommend you pray salah with jamat in the mosque. It is amaaazing the re itation and the number of people that come in/the place just fills makes your iman strong!!! I went to two i think-one in particular in the old city where all the main attractions are was very good.

Comment

Also go on the bus tour of the city its hop on hop off very worthwhile!!!

Comment

Lol, thanks for the advice; not that I was planning on giving up going to the masjid for a week. :)

I'm hearing that it's better to walk or tram it to most places rather than take taxis. Any one have an idea, from exprerience, how the tram system works and if it's any good?

"Zendagi Migzara..."

Comment

Originally posted by NeverGoodEnough View Post
                        Lol, thanks for the advice; not that I was planning on giving up going to the masjid for a week. :)

I'm hearing that it's better to walk or tram it to most places rather than take taxis. Any one have an idea, from exprerience, how the tram system works and if it's any good?
                        The Blue Masjid, Topkapi Palace, The Bazaar, Sulemaniye Masrassah are all within walking distance from the main centre.

For the tram you will need to buy tokens (works out at 30p i think) - theres normally a small shop nearby selling them.

For the grave visit you will need to get a taxi - Just ask for ayub jaami. Theres loads of sahabi (R.A) buried in istanbul, this page had got a jpeg with address and names

http://www.deenislam.co.uk/gallery/turkey/turkey.html - the most i got done in one go was 10, but thats when i went with mates years ago. the other couple times i just did the main tourist attraction one.

Comment

JazakALLAH for the link and the information on this.

Is the food halal and kinda trustworthy there? Whats the local food like?
                          "A single day of a Lions life is worth more than a hundered years of the life of a fox" (Final moments of Tipu Sultan)
                          "don't weep like a woman for what you could not defend as a man" (mother of Muhammad XII, Final moments of Muslim rule in Spain)

Comment

Wow the photo of Prophet Yusha's grave looks like a piece of heaven!

Comment

Yes, Istanbul is very beautiful. I am from Turkey and lucky for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X