• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'the promise' on channel 4

Has anyone been watching this?

Feedback?

Re: 'the promise' on channel 4

no, pressed i on it it sounded like it was anti-palestine, decided not to watch it. whats it about?
    glass half empty

Comment

I watched the first episode, it looks interesting.

I'm going to reserve my opinions until I've watched the rest of them, because the endings are usually very significant.
      Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, thabbit qalbi 'alaa Deenik
      O' Converter of Hearts, make my heart steadfast upon Thy Way
      We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Comment

Originally posted by mujhadia View Post
        no, pressed i on it it sounded like it was anti-palestine, decided not to watch it. whats it about?
        i would say so far its got an anti zionist bias...but as its mainstream TV i think it will try to show both sides of the story as much as possible...

watch it on 4OD

Comment

I've been meaning to watch this but i think waiting a whole week for the next episode would frustrate me. So I'll watch it all on 4OD at the weekend
          You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

Comment

^ All four will not have been aired by the weekend.
            We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Hafsah View Post
              i would say so far its got an anti zionist bias...but as its mainstream TV i think it will try to show both sides of the story as much as possible...

watch it on 4OD
              I watched the second episode and it doesn't seem anti-Zionist per se, just some of the truth that's not put out there. It's interesting to watch how a minority went from being subjugated and sent to another land, yet some felt they were not in control in the ways they wanted to be, despite the whole move being dictated by people other than themselves. Then there are those who saw the British and co. as helping them (sure they helped, but it seems more convenience), and it's sickening to watch how they're taken in.

Some parts were really horrible and upsetting, how do people go from being treated like that to treating others the same?

The parts that the Zionists or Jews in general seem to be ranting about are obvious; it's hilarious that some are calling it anti-Zionist, we can't all interpret history the way they see fit all the time. I wonder what will be said about the Palestinians as I guess that's what's going to come up next. Either way, it sure is an interesting way to get points across on something most people don't get to air their views about on mainstream TV, let alone dramatise them.
              Last edited by Soliloquy; 16-02-11, 05:41 PM.

Comment

The program has lots of inaccuracies like Jews live in big houses with swimming pools whilst Arabs live in tiny village properties. This is totally unreal. Firstly Israel has Palestinian Arabs in the parliament and also as a judge in the supreme court.The majority of people live in flats. Also it doesn’t mention how the British slaughtered 15,000 Arabs or the Arabs slaughtered Jews in Hebron and Safad in 1920. Cutting off the head of children and doing live castrations. Finally it appears that the Arabs the ones who are clean. Back in 1948 7% of the land was owned by Palestinian Jews 5% by the Arabs. 70% by the British and more land was bought by the Jews. The Jews always wanted peace in the region but unfortunately the Palestinian Arabs are manipulated by Iran through Hamas. That is the real problem here stopping peace. If you’re going to do a historical accurate drama about the promise you need to look fairly at all sides

Comment

Originally posted by carly View Post
                  The program has lots of inaccuracies like Jews live in big houses with swimming pools whilst Arabs live in tiny village properties. This is totally unreal. Firstly Israel has Palestinian Arabs in the parliament and also as a judge in the supreme court.The majority of people live in flats. Also it doesn’t mention how the British slaughtered 15,000 Arabs or the Arabs slaughtered Jews in Hebron and Safad in 1920. Cutting off the head of children and doing live castrations. Finally it appears that the Arabs the ones who are clean. Back in 1948 7% of the land was owned by Palestinian Jews 5% by the Arabs. 70% by the British and more land was bought by the Jews. The Jews always wanted peace in the region but unfortunately the Palestinian Arabs are manipulated by Iran through Hamas. That is the real problem here stopping peace. If you’re going to do a historical accurate drama about the promise you need to look fairly at all sides
                  of course all the poor old israelis want is peace, living on stolen land, violating international laws....how can anyone deny their visions of peace for the region.

Comment

okaaaayy...
                    ignoring that i thought the programme was quite good, this last episode totally gripped me, i watched the rest on 4od and got bored at some bits, but i did learn somethings about hebron and the partition and the british involvement, they obviously left too soon, makes me think about why they always say they cant leave afghanistan/iraq etc yet without reconstruction and whatever.
                    i did however think that the girl was very stupid and it was kinda unrealistic, she was wondering around west bank and gaza without a care in the world, she seemed totally oblivious to the brutality of idf, are non muslims like that? do they expect them to be reasonable? is it only us that realise what they are like?
                    in the beginning of the programme before the friend went to do her service and was on the plane, i was thinking, some people would say that if someone is likely to join the army kill them before they can, and that is what the idf do.

it seemed to be pro arab, and on the 40d site it said the director had made another drama called warrior about bosnia or something?

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
                    (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

Working...
                    X