Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working full time

Salamun Alaikum,

How do those working full time find the TIME to attend Islamic lectures, gain knowledge, take on courses to develop oneself from an Islamic perspective? Currently I'm working full time at a well established newspaper..my hours are very long and I also work on a Saturday. It is a very stressful environment and my mind is constantly busy with the work involved, that I literally find it difficult to devote any time for myself. I miss the days when I could freely listen to a lecture and feel inspired by the knowledge. Even worse, my holidays are limited...for obvious reasons - newspapers never stop printing, so journalists always have to be ready at hand. EVEN on holiday, I have to be aware of the media.

So any personal advice...experiences...anyone in a similar situation?

Jazakallah Khair.
    Give me a clear vision, that I may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless I stand for something, I will fall for anything.

Re: Working full time

:wswrwb:

Sundays, unless you wanna recharge on Sundays. That's understandable.

But, anyways, you can't really do everything at once. You might have to reduce hours from your work or get an extra day off. Especially if you want to take courses, that's gonna require way too much attention than just listening to a lecture. You have to keep shifitng gears from work to courses, back and forth.

So, maybe you can get an extra day off, that'll surely help.
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Message for the youth -Imam Anwar al awlaki

Comment

1. Try to incorporate small amounts into the day, be in on the train on the way to work, from work, small amounts of time in the night or morning. Short periods like 15 min. Before you know it, every 4/5 days youve listened to one lecture. Do the same with Quran and Revision on Islamic Knowledge.

If you’re working 6 days a week, then that’s a viable solution, if your working 5 days, then keeping some extra time on the 2 days off, for Islamic Revision and Study is what I know some brothers do.

Other full time working brothers, MashaAllah, have began a routine in the morning before Fajr and Just after it untill they have to go to work, but being realistic not many muslims can maintain this or can practically keep this up with the stress and workload of their Jobs.

Therefore practical advice would be to have consistent short periods of time every day.

Ibn Taymiyah :Guidance is not attained except with knowledge and correct direction is not attained except with patience
        In this world, man finds in the remembrance of Allah, praising Him and worshipping Him, a delight that is incomparable to anything else.
        Last edited by aBu_aGinEgp; 01-02-11, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OBL View Post
          :jkk:, I guess it just comes down to that in the end - putting in more effort, and using the dunya as a means for the akhirah.

:up:
          Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, thabbit qalbi 'alaa Deenik
          O' Converter of Hearts, make my heart steadfast upon Thy Way
          We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Comment

If you are not married then do that. Get married to a man who can provide for you. Then you can quit work and concentrate on being a wife, a mother and pursuing more knowledge. This is better for you. If you are already married and your husband can sustain you then you should already have considered quitting work. The barakah in being a full-time wife and mother is worth far more than being a full time worker ever could.

If you are married and your husband cannot sustain you financially then he should do his utmost best to get a better job/promotion. Then you can quit, insha'Allah.
            Allah will ask on the Day of Judgment: “Where are those who loved each other for the sake of My glory? Today, on a day when there is no shade but Mine, I shall shade them with My shade.”(Muslim)

"Zendagi Migzara..."

Comment

I work full time and understand what you are saying about not finding enough time. I try and read or listen to lectures before i go to work as i feel it prepares me for the day. Also if i have a break at lunchtime i try to step away from the business of the office and read a small passage and then when i get home, i will try and set aside as much time as i can spare, sometimes it can be 15mins sometimes it can be up to an hour for gaining knowledge. Although it doesn't sound like much, it does build up over the day!

It's just a case of organising time! Hope that helps

Comment

Jazakallah Khair everyone :) The advice was very beneficial. I guess I should make use of any free time I have, whether it be after fajr or sometime during the work day. Thank you.
                Give me a clear vision, that I may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless I stand for something, I will fall for anything.

Comment

It's hard, trust me I've tried! Theres so much I want to do,but working fulltime means 1) no time and 2) tired half the time.
                  You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

Comment

A respected newspaper ? a Journalist ? ahhh... don't tease me with my dream job!

If it's for the deen try and make time, even if it's one gathering a week; otherwise you'll fade away into this corporate world. It can be hard, but life is not meant to be easy. I wish you luck in your endeavours Kubs.

Comment

wa alaikum as salam wa rehmatullahi wa barakatuh
                      My total commute time is 50mins to an hour to/from work. I play lectures in my car to learn deen in that time. If you feel that your profession denying you the time to spend on your deen, then maybe you should look for another profession.

Comment

^ That's actually a good idea. I mean, listening to lectures during the commute.

I don't know how long you commute for, but everything takes ages in London anyway...so perhaps on Sundays, save a good few lectures on your *insert audio player of sorts here* and listen to it to and from work.
                        "The discovery of truth is prevented more effectively, not by the false appearance of things present and which mislead into error, not directly by weakness of the reasoning powers, but by preconceived notions, opinion, and by prejudice." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

how about going part time?

part time work is like the best....right now im looking forward to couple of days off *parttty*
                          check out this blog>>>http://myworldmuslimah.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by loonietoonie View Post
                            wa alaikum as salam wa rehmatullahi wa barakatuh
                            My total commute time is 50mins to an hour to/from work. I play lectures in my car to learn deen in that time. If you feel that your profession denying you the time to spend on your deen, then maybe you should look for another profession.
                            It takes me roughly an hour to get to work everyday via public transport - but I also travel from interview to interview and it depends where the story takes me - whether it be a different country, different area or anywhere close by. However, when I'm in the office, I try and listen to lectures now and then.

There is nothing wrong with the profession Alhamdulillah! It took a lot to be accepted for this job..and as a hijabi, I think we need more Muslim women journalists. I get to see all the ins and outs of how the media is processed and its interesting how so many times events are either misrepresented or under reported.

Inshallah I'm going to try and download lectures and listen to them whilst on my travels. Also listening to a talk 'live' is a completely different experience, so like one poster mentioned, attending a talk at least once a month would be beneficial.

Comment

I currently work full time alhumdullilah. How I do it is that during my drive I listen to Quran and Lectures (if you dont drive then listen on your MP3 player). When I get home from work I dedicated 30 min to memorization. Then after Fajr I dedicated 5-10 minutes to the Qu'ran before I get ready for work. I sleep early, right after Isha. On Saturdays I wake up a few hours before Fajr, on Sundays I go to a brother's house to memorize Qu'ran. The big thing is adjusting your sleep patterns and being able to manage your time. It's very possible if the time is managed correctly. You can even have lots of left over time. There are 8,736 hours in a year. If you work full time (40 hrs a week) you are working 2,080 hours in that year. That leaves more than 6,000 hours. If you sleep 8 hours a night then that is another 2,912 hours. That still leaves about 3,000-4,000 hrs. Time management.
                              Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Working...
                              X