X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunnah-Avoid LOL and embrace SOQ

Re: Sunnah-Avoid LOL and embrace SOQ

Originally posted by hass9 View Post
    Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) was never reported to have laughed out loudly (LOL) even once. Whenever Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) found the need to express his happiness, he would smile out quietly (SOQ).

SubhanAllaah! Today we claim to love Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) more than any one else, but when we find the need to express our happiness, all we end up doing is to write this absurdity in the likes of LOL (Laugh out loudly), which explicitly goes against the established sunnah of Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).

Narrated 'A’isha (Radhi Allaahu ‘Anha): “I never saw Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) laughing loudly enough to enable me to see his uvula, but he used to smile only."

(Bukhari Book 60 Hadith 353)

Hence, rather than using LOL (Laugh out loudly), the sunnah way of expressing your joy is to use SOQ (Smile Out Quietly) :)

Revive the Sunnah, Inshaa Allaah :)
    are there hadith that state its against he sunna to laugh out loudly? and just because its not recorded mohammed done that does it say any where that he didnt approve of it?

There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance.

Comment

from a narration from Umm. Salamah (radhiallahu `anha) Abil Bakr (radhiallahu `anhu) went to do business in Busra, and with him were Nu'ayman and Suwaybit ibn Harmalah (radhiallahu `anhuma), both of whom had been present at Badr. Suwaybit was in charge of food on the journey, and Nu'ayman said to him, "Feed me!" Suwaybit said, "Not until Abu Bakr (radhiallahu `anhu) comes." Nu'ayman was a fun-loving man with a sense of humor, so he went to some people who had brought livestock with them, and said, "Will you buy a sturdy Arab slave from me?" They said, "Yes." He

said, "He has a big mouth, and he may tell you that he is a free man. If that means that you do not want to take him, then forget the matter, and do not cause trouble for me with him." They said, "No problem, we will buy him." So they bought him for ten young she-camels. Nu'ayman brought the animals back, and told the people: "There he is!" Suwaybit said: "I am a free man!" They said, "He has already told us all about you," and put a rope around his neck and led him away. Then Abu Bakr came, and was told what had happened. He and his companions went and returned the animals and took Suwaybit back. They told the Prophet :saw: what had happened, and he and his Sahabah would laugh about the story for a year afterwards.

A Bedouin came to the Prophet :saw: He entered the mosque and left his camel in the courtyard. Some of his Companions said to Nu'ayman ibn 'Amr al-Ansari, who was known as al-Nu'ayman: "If you slaughter it, we will eat it, because we want to have some meat, and the Prophet :saw: will pay for it." So al-Nu'ayman slaughtered it.

Then the Bedouin came out and saw his saddle, so he shouted, "They have slaughtered my camel, O Muhammad!" The Prophet :saw: came out and asked: "Who did this?" They said, "Al-Nu'ayman." So he went looking for him, and found him at the home of Duba'ah bint alZubayr ibn 'Abdul Muttalib radhiallahu `anh, where he had hidden in a ditch and covered himself with palm branches and leaves. A man pointed to where he was and said, loudly, "I have not seen him, O Prophet :saw:"

The Prophet :saw: brought him out of the ditch, and his face was dirty from where the leaves had fallen on him. The Prophet :saw: asked him, "Why did you do that?" Al-Nu'ayman said: "The ones who told you where I was, O Prophet :saw: , are the same ones who told me to do it." The Prophet :saw: began wiping his face and laughing, then he paid the price of the slaughtered camel.

[Hayat As Sahabah, 3/154, 155]

'A'ishah narrated

"I went out with the Prophet :saw: on a journey. At that time I was a young girl and was quite slender. The Prophet :saw: told the people, 'Go on ahead,' so they went ahead, then he said to me, 'Come, let us have a race.' So I raced with him, and I won. He let the matter rest until I had gained weight. Later, I accompanied him on another journey. He told the people, 'Go on ahead,' so they went ahead. He said to me, 'Come, let us have a race.' So I raced with him, and he won. He began to laugh, and said, 'This is for that."'

(sunan abu Dawood )

'Aisha (Radhi Allahu anha) Radhiallahu anha was handling some dolls: What is this that it has on it? asked the Prophet :saw: She replied: Two wings. He asked: A horse with two wings? She replied: Have you not heard that Solomon had horses with wings? She said that on hearing my reply the Prophet :saw: laughed so heartily that I could see his molar teeth. [Sunan Abu Dawood, Vol. 3. no. 4914]

A man broke his fast (intentionally) during Ramadan. The Prophet :saw: commanded him to emancipate a slave or fast for two months, or feed sixty poor people. He said: I cannot afford that. The Prophet :saw: said: Sit down. Thereafter, a huge basket of dates was brought to the Prophet :saw: . He said: Take this and give it as sadaqah/charity to the poor. He said: O Prophet :saw: , there is no one poorer than I , the Prophet :saw: laughed so that his canine teeth became visible and said: Then feed yourself (and your family).

[Sunan Abu Dawood, Vol. 2. no. 2386]
      Last edited by *asiya*; 31-01-11, 02:18 PM.
      "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

What is this man:eek3:

I don't think we actually laugh out loud when we type 'lol' or 'lmao' or 'rofl'

wallaahu a'lam
        Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
        فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Comment

Originally posted by *asiya* View Post
          from a narration from Umm. Salamah (radhiallahu `anha) Abil Bakr (radhiallahu `anhu) went to do business in Busra, and with him were Nu'ayman and Suwaybit ibn Harmalah (radhiallahu `anhuma), both of whom had been present at Badr. Suwaybit was in charge of food on the journey, and Nu'ayman said to him, "Feed me!" Suwaybit said, "Not until Abu Bakr (radhiallahu `anhu) comes." Nu'ayman was a fun-loving man with a sense of humor, so he went to some people who had brought livestock with them, and said, "Will you buy a sturdy Arab slave from me?" They said, "Yes." He

said, "He has a big mouth, and he may tell you that he is a free man. If that means that you do not want to take him, then forget the matter, and do not cause trouble for me with him." They said, "No problem, we will buy him." So they bought him for ten young she-camels. Nu'ayman brought the animals back, and told the people: "There he is!" Suwaybit said: "I am a free man!" They said, "He has already told us all about you," and put a rope around his neck and led him away. Then Abu Bakr came, and was told what had happened. He and his companions went and returned the animals and took Suwaybit back. They told the Prophet :saw: what had happened, and he and his Sahabah would laugh about the story for a year afterwards.

A Bedouin came to the Prophet :saw: He entered the mosque and left his camel in the courtyard. Some of his Companions said to Nu'ayman ibn 'Amr al-Ansari, who was known as al-Nu'ayman: "If you slaughter it, we will eat it, because we want to have some meat, and the Prophet :saw: will pay for it." So al-Nu'ayman slaughtered it.

Then the Bedouin came out and saw his saddle, so he shouted, "They have slaughtered my camel, O Muhammad!" The Prophet :saw: came out and asked: "Who did this?" They said, "Al-Nu'ayman." So he went looking for him, and found him at the home of Duba'ah bint alZubayr ibn 'Abdul Muttalib radhiallahu `anh, where he had hidden in a ditch and covered himself with palm branches and leaves. A man pointed to where he was and said, loudly, "I have not seen him, O Prophet :saw:"

The Prophet :saw: brought him out of the ditch, and his face was dirty from where the leaves had fallen on him. The Prophet :saw: asked him, "Why did you do that?" Al-Nu'ayman said: "The ones who told you where I was, O Prophet :saw: , are the same ones who told me to do it." The Prophet :saw: began wiping his face and laughing, then he paid the price of the slaughtered camel.

[Hayat As Sahabah, 3/154, 155]

'A'ishah narrated

"I went out with the Prophet :saw: on a journey. At that time I was a young girl and was quite slender. The Prophet :saw: told the people, 'Go on ahead,' so they went ahead, then he said to me, 'Come, let us have a race.' So I raced with him, and I won. He let the matter rest until I had gained weight. Later, I accompanied him on another journey. He told the people, 'Go on ahead,' so they went ahead. He said to me, 'Come, let us have a race.' So I raced with him, and he won. He began to laugh, and said, 'This is for that."'

(sunan abu Dawood )

'Aisha (Radhi Allahu anha) Radhiallahu anha was handling some dolls: What is this that it has on it? asked the Prophet :saw: She replied: Two wings. He asked: A horse with two wings? She replied: Have you not heard that Solomon had horses with wings? She said that on hearing my reply the Prophet :saw: laughed so heartily that I could see his molar teeth. [Sunan Abu Dawood, Vol. 3. no. 4914]

A man broke his fast (intentionally) during Ramadan. The Prophet :saw: commanded him to emancipate a slave or fast for two months, or feed sixty poor people. He said: I cannot afford that. The Prophet :saw: said: Sit down. Thereafter, a huge basket of dates was brought to the Prophet :saw: . He said: Take this and give it as sadaqah/charity to the poor. He said: O Prophet :saw: , there is no one poorer than I , the Prophet :saw: laughed so that his canine teeth became visible and said: Then feed yourself (and your family).

[Sunan Abu Dawood, Vol. 2. no. 2386]

thanks for these, i thought i read some hadith saying about him laughing but couldnt find them again when i read the OP.

There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance.

Comment

Originally posted by SILURES View Post
            are there hadith that state its against he sunna to laugh out loudly? and just because its not recorded mohammed done that does it say any where that he didnt approve of it?
            Silures, please with all respect, i know you are not a muslim, but when addressing Prophet Muhammed PBUH, please put PBUH or SAW after his name. We do our best to respect yourself and your religion please do the same to our Prophet.

I Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran786786 View Post
              Silures, please with all respect, i know you are not a muslim, but when addressing Prophet Muhammed PBUH, please put PBUH or SAW after his name. We do our best to respect yourself and your religion please do the same to our Prophet.

I Thank You.
              imran i have no problem with that but when i first came here i said would it be better for me to do that and had a few replies off members here and some mods saying that i shouldnt because i obviously wouldnt mean it and it would come across as mocking.

how about i make sure i capitalise his name as a sign of respect whenever i use it as a compromise?

Comment

even if you dont mean it doesnt mean you're being disrespectful.
                Its like calling someone SIR, doesnt mean you love him or respect him, it just means you're being polite as not to offend.

same example as when in Court, you say YES YOUR HONOUR, but inside you might be cursing him, but respect is shown nevertheless.

Comment

i thank you for atleast addressing the issue, but theres nothing wrong with saying PBUH (Peace be upon him), dont you want to show yourself as a better man by wishing peace on others, afterall its this that will wish others to give you gladtidings.

Comment

even if you dont mean it doesnt mean you're being disrespectful.
                    Its like calling someone SIR, doesnt mean you love him or respect him, it just means you're being polite as not to offend.

same example as when in Court, you say YES YOUR HONOUR, but inside you might be cursing him, but respect is shown nevertheless.
                    i thank you for atleast addressing the issue, but theres nothing wrong with saying PBUH (Peace be upon him), dont you want to show yourself as a better man by wishing peace on others, afterall its this that will wish others to give you gladtidings.

imran no problem from now on ill do it, i just didnt want to cause offence to anyone. is pbuh the preffered one for non muslims to use or is there something else i should put?

Comment

Silures can u just capitlize it and Put it as Muhammad...

hope im not beign burdenful
                      Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
                      فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Comment

no problem, whatever everyone thinks, im happy with.
                        Last edited by SILURES; 01-02-11, 01:35 AM.

Comment

I understand the point of the OP, as 'LOL' refers to laughing and making sound (loud). Whereas, as far as I was aware, the Prophet (saw), laughed in a way that revealed his teeth but he did not make sound, like the 'ha ha ha' most of us do nowadays. Mashallah he laughed and shared in happiness with the Muslims, but his (saw)'s etiquette of laughing was quite different to the norm nowdays.
                          Last edited by Nawar; 01-02-11, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Comment

LOL?

OK, jokes.

But it's true though, that laughing out loud, literally is not something Prophet :saw: did. I once read a hadith (Not sure if it has been posted already) where Prophet Muhammad :Saw: saw a man laughing loudly and he said why are you so happy? Have you been promised paradise?

It was something similar to this.
                              Last edited by .mirror.; 01-02-11, 06:59 AM.
                              Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
                              - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X