Sexual abuse in Muslim communities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexual abuse in Muslim communities

A taboo topic amongst muslims, it seems. Muslim communities seem to be in denial of these things happening, and when it does happen or come out then family honour seem to prevail the well beings of the victim.
    Not only women, but young girls and young boys, children(both genders) are often the target of sexual abuse usually by close people, family relatives, family friends,even some Imams at masjids or just a neighbour; people with a some position of trust. I'm not asking you all to become paranoid but to grow an awareness on the subject and not be in denial.
    Some people will just not accept that these things happen, even in a minority group.
    I've known some girls that were abused from my year group and above. Their stories were rather shocking, one was abused by an Imam at a local masjid after the classes finished, he kept her behind.
    The others by close or distant relatives, one by brothers friends and another by her fathers friend.

The one thing that was the same in all situations is how the girls were treated after their families found out.
    1. The girl is now stained, dirty, called degraded names such as being dirty, etc by some/all family members. She is made to feel guilty.
    2. Word of such things cannot be let out, even to the authorities due to family honour. Thus the girl must remain quiet on the subject, hence no help given to her.
    3. No action taken to bring the abuser to justice, because this means word getting out. So the abuser is left to carry on abusing others.

All for family honour, reputation etc.

Some muslim sisters ,from my experience, that havent experienced abuse or met anyone that has, will deny it occuring. I'm not saying all Imams abuse, or labelling all men as being abusers. But if you live in alittle happy bubble thinking that nothing like this happens, how will you prevent it from happening? How will you deal with it if it happens in your family?

Personally I think that the main reason for this is plain ignorance, being stuck on stupid cultural mentality and a lack of good communication, awareness and understanding.
    Most sisters I know cannot communicate well to the family members, their brothers, fathers, mothers etc. Theyre scared of being judged by their family members if they open up, and quite rightly too, because the consequences of opening up to ones family members can sometimes just as bad as being abused.

It seems on general that theres one set of rules for the male members of the family and another for the girls.
    If a son has a non-marital relationship with a girl then it isn't as bad a daughter doing the same. This seems to be the general ignorant view. Although families may say, its bad equally for both, their actions and way of treating the boys is always better than the girls. When such ridiculous inequality exists between the daughters and the sons, how can the girls feel comfortable opening up about any experiences they have.
    There are sisters that cant even come home to mention that a boy may have harrassed them outside, because they'll end up being asked, "What were you doing with a boy?" ... Albiet they may not have been with him.

This negative view that I've painted isn't the case for each and every individual, but it is still the case for one too many.
    Allah is compassionate and He loves compassion in all things. [Hadith]
    :lailah::ahb:

Re: Sexual abuse in Muslim communities

I've only heard of it happenin amongst us pakistanis

He it is Who sends blessings on you, as do His angels, that He may bring you out from the depths of Darkness into Light: and He is Full of Mercy to the Believers. [Quran {33:43}]
    www.QuranicAudio.com
    www.Quran.com

Comment

dont think that your 3 points are very different in a lot of non muslim families either, because its not, its just the same.
      <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

It is saddening and crimes are performed in every country.Which is why we have laws in Muslim communities which are better than non-Muslim communities.If the criminal doesn't gets punished by the community, then how far will he run.Allah is there to do justice.

There is no surety for the forgiveness by Allah when he does the act of rape.

Originally posted by aadil77 View Post
        I've only heard of it happenin amongst us Pakistanis
        Ever heard about the Arab tribes which are non- quraish and ansar?

Check them, you will hear then.
        صلى الله على حبيبه محمد و على آله و أصحابه و سلم
        Al-Muslimeen

Comment

Alhamdulilah there are very rare such cases in the muslim world.
          this means this means the laws in the muslim communities are more better than the rest of the world.
          don't brand me as nationalist cz i love peace.

Comment

Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post
            dont think that your 3 points are very different in a lot of non muslim families either, because its not, its just the same.
            well the difference is that isn't as much a taboo to mention being raped, sensitive topics are more open since there is no strict code of family honour.

Perhaps within muslim communities there are differences between cultures as to how they react?
            However I am in no way or form implying anything negative towards Islam, obvioulsy such crimes in Islam recieve the capital punishment of death. For that to happen, women need to speak out.
            Allah is compassionate and He loves compassion in all things. [Hadith]
            :lailah::ahb:

Comment

my personal opinion

these subjects are only brought up to demoralize the muslims and keep our focus from what is primarily weakening this ummah. Our disobedience to Allah and our love of the kuffar.

yes, there are many crimes and social ills amongst the muslims, but NOTHING in comparison to the kuffar, yet the kuffar move on, we want to point out the molehills and ignore the mountains.

If muslims would return to islam, much of these problems would either be greatly reduced, or completely eliminated

lets take those boys who were pimping the white girls........much of this nonsense is done because muslims and being muslim is not cool. it doesnt get you anywhere. you pray, you wear funny clothing, you cant have any fun, shucks, you would have more fun being a nun.

but this is what we teach our youth when we encourage them to live peacefully amongst the kuffar.

why are gangs so influential to the youth? because gangs are standing up for something (yes, total nonsense, but it appears to be standing up)

what does islam have to offer? what does TRUE islam have to offer? HONOR, honor in this world and the next. you aint bowing down to anyone, or anything but Allah. RESPECT. the kuffar may hate you, they may mock you, but they will definitely respect the muslim that stands strong for islam. DIGNITY. A true muslim has dignity, he doesnt have to sexually abuse anyone, he doesnt have to rape, he doesnt have to pimp, he walks tall with his head up because he realizes that he is the khalifa of this world.

We do not teach our youth this, so they fall victim to the nonsense of the dunya
              .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
              نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
              دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

when you live amongst these types of people, what can you expect from muslims?
                دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Exactly, this is just a product of ways that are far from Islam...the root cause of this problem is leaving the deen of Allah and preferring the ways of those who follow other than his deen.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZVEydn3RKk

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMubarak View Post
                    my personal opinion

these subjects are only brought up to demoralize the muslims and keep our focus from what is primarily weakening this ummah. Our disobedience to Allah and our love of the kuffar.

yes, there are many crimes and social ills amongst the muslims, but NOTHING in comparison to the kuffar, yet the kuffar move on, we want to point out the molehills and ignore the mountains.

If muslims would return to islam, much of these problems would either be greatly reduced, or completely eliminated

lets take those boys who were pimping the white girls........much of this nonsense is done because muslims and being muslim is not cool. it doesnt get you anywhere. you pray, you wear funny clothing, you cant have any fun, shucks, you would have more fun being a nun.

but this is what we teach our youth when we encourage them to live peacefully amongst the kuffar.

why are gangs so influential to the youth? because gangs are standing up for something (yes, total nonsense, but it appears to be standing up)

what does islam have to offer? what does TRUE islam have to offer? HONOR, honor in this world and the next. you aint bowing down to anyone, or anything but Allah. RESPECT. the kuffar may hate you, they may mock you, but they will definitely respect the muslim that stands strong for islam. DIGNITY. A true muslim has dignity, he doesnt have to sexually abuse anyone, he doesnt have to rape, he doesnt have to pimp, he walks tall with his head up because he realizes that he is the khalifa of this world.

We do not teach our youth this, so they fall victim to the nonsense of the dunya
                    These things are a reality though. They happen in muslim communities and we should be aware of them adress them and root them out.

These things are given hot air by the media to try and demoralize muslims. However, a muslims feeling is:

3:173 Men said to them: "A great army is gathering against you": And frightened them: But it (only) increased their Faith: They said: "For us Allah sufficeth, and He is the best disposer of affairs."

Allah revealed in the Quran that when the kuffar try to intimidate muslims it only strengthens their belief in Allah and their imaan rather than demoralising them. This is a feeling that a muslim should have.

We are demoralised because we are not convinved about our faith. Or not convinved enough to act upon it. As you mentioned in your post aswell.

There are MANY things so called muslims do that is as bad if not worse than the kuffar.
                    Mind you some non-muslims are better than others. Some muslims are worse than others aswell. But why would anyone expect a non-muslim to abide by shariah?? You wouldnt , you would though expect a muslim and they dont. Not only that they are worse than the non-muslims .

This is just one issue, try doing business with big beardy maulanas see how they treat you. You think non muslim governments are bad atleast they give certain rights to their own people. Muslim governments dont even give that to their own people.

Education is the answer eh? you think muslims who do such things out of ignorance. They know very well what they do.

I think it is a case of enforcement more than education. People do not enforce the deen upon themselves or other people. Any issue, any dilemma you can get 2 contradictory fatwas these days. Scholars are sell outs for the duniya and selling the deen. People are buying it from them to get what they want. Deen goes out the window.

Many people do their salah and fasting but earn money through interest and haram means. They dont think its bad.

Teaching is a little half hearted. You need to enforce and enjoin what is good and forbid and speak up against what is not.

Comment

you say enforcement precedes education? this is what the usa does when it makes laws. As we all have heard awlaki's speech where he compares the forbiddance of alcohol in islam vs the prohibition of the usa. ONE was purely enforcement, costing millions of dollars, killings, jails, etc

and the prohibition of alcohol in islam, where alcohol flowed in the streets

akhi, enforcing laws without the population willingly submitting is pure oppression. if the people are educated and understand the meanings of the laws, they will submit easier

if you tell some of these drug-addicted muslims about the laws of the kuffar or islam, they will ignore it, but if you can get them to fear Allah and be proud of being muslim, they will put away the drugs themselves

this is how many kafirs become muslim, myself included. we knew the laws but didnt care about them, but once Allah opens your heart to islam, its easy to put away things of kufr
                      دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Originally posted by ahmed_abdullah View Post
                        It is saddening and crimes are performed in every country.Which is why we have laws in Muslim communities which are better than non-Muslim communities.If the criminal doesn't gets punished by the community, then how far will he run.Allah is there to do justice.

There is no surety for the forgiveness by Allah when he does the act of rape.

Ever heard about the Arab tribes which are non- quraish and ansar?

Check them, you will hear then.
                        what are you talking about, theres no arab tribes in UK

He it is Who sends blessings on you, as do His angels, that He may bring you out from the depths of Darkness into Light: and He is Full of Mercy to the Believers. [Quran {33:43}]
                        www.QuranicAudio.com
                        www.Quran.com

Comment

a speech on the strength of islam
                          دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMubarak View Post
                            you say enforcement precedes education? this is what the usa does when it makes laws. As we all have heard awlaki's speech where he compares the forbiddance of alcohol in islam vs the prohibition of the usa. ONE was purely enforcement, costing millions of dollars, killings, jails, etc

and the prohibition of alcohol in islam, where alcohol flowed in the streets

akhi, enforcing laws without the population willingly submitting is pure oppression. if the people are educated and understand the meanings of the laws, they will submit easier

if you tell some of these drug-addicted muslims about the laws of the kuffar or islam, they will ignore it, but if you can get them to fear Allah and be proud of being muslim, they will put away the drugs themselves

this is how many kafirs become muslim, myself included. we knew the laws but didnt care about them, but once Allah opens your heart to islam, its easy to put away things of kufr
                            I am not saying enforcement precedes education. I am saying people are already aware and educated about halal and haraam. Yet they do not follow.

I am not saying enforcement from a government perspective but from the perspective of our ulema and our muslim social group who know that some fundamental things like alcohol, interest etc are forbidden yet they themselves are heavily engrossed in it.

There is nothing "oppression" about it. It is enjoining good and forbidding evil.

Say in your drugs example above if we said to people stop taking interest or working in banks as that money is from interest and fear Allah would they listen. Well, their local aalim has told them that is halaal. Why would they fear Allah if the imam has given them clearence that it is halal? Do you see what i'm saying when I say deen is not being enforced.

This level of disobedience leads to a weak iman and gets us into the situation we are in today.

We are saying the same thing more or less.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkChocolate View Post
                              well the difference is that isn't as much a taboo to mention being raped, sensitive topics are more open since there is no strict code of family honour.

Perhaps within muslim communities there are differences between cultures as to how they react?
                              However I am in no way or form implying anything negative towards Islam, obvioulsy such crimes in Islam recieve the capital punishment of death. For that to happen, women need to speak out.
                              do you have any experience of this or are you just talking crap, because i feel it is the latter?
                              go and talk to people who have been raped or abused by their family members i think you will find regardless of culture it is v often kept quiet, not acknowledged, swept under the carpet. even rape of adults by non family member etc, there is a lot of stigma still to being raped. why do you think the rate of people reporting it is and always has been very low??
                              sorry but i find you quite ignorant, talking about people in the muslim community are so ignorant denying any abuse occurs etc then you go on yourself to deny there is any problem with this in the outer community, totally not the case.
                              if you are going to talk about something then know what you are talking about
                              <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Working...
                              X