Honesty when applying for jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honesty when applying for jobs

I'm applying for jobs and placements, don't think I'll have a chance unless I exaggerate some things and make up a few things about my work experience

what do you think, should it be done when in desperate situations? have you guys done the same?

my intention for getting these jobs is purely for the sake of Allah

He it is Who sends blessings on you, as do His angels, that He may bring you out from the depths of Darkness into Light: and He is Full of Mercy to the Believers. [Quran {33:43}]
    www.QuranicAudio.com
    www.Quran.com

Re: Honesty when applying for jobs

i don't think you should make things up because if you want something halal you need to go about getting the job in a halal way. You shouldn't lie to try and get something i don't feel there would be much barakah in that. In the end you have decieved your employers. If you have been in situations its always possible to make things sound better for eg very simply: instead of saying I stood at the till and scanned people's items....you can say I was efficient, an effective communicator with customers, good with my accountacy skills, helpful-there's nothing wrong with that. But don't lie outright that is very wrong!..

Comment

I don't think you should make up things, but emphasise your good points as much as possible - make sure it is worded well.

It is not impossible to get a job without making up things, because Allah would not set limits that we have to transgress.

If all the people combined together to grant you some benefit, they would not be able to do so except that which Allah has determined for you and that if all of them were combined together to do you harm, they would not be able to do so except that which Allah has determined for you.

Comment

Depends on what see as exaggeration.

I say I have experience of something even if I've done it once.

If you get to the interview stage, you can expand.

Comment

Originally posted by aadil77 View Post
          I'm applying for jobs and placements, don't think I'll have a chance unless I exaggerate some things and make up a few things about my work experience

what do you think, should it be done when in desperate situations? have you guys done the same?

Whenever someone is accepted for a job, it is standard practice for a company to check out your work history by contacting previous employers. This will also include part-time jobs, work placements, charity work etc. They will also probably ask for any certificates you hold (assuming you are claiming a certain standard of education).

In respect of previous employers, they are required to confirm your dates of employment and your job title. Beyond that, it is discretionary - so don't pretend you were Sales Director for 5 years if you only worked in the post room for 6 months. If you are caught lying, you will lose your job.

With education certificates, employers are now increasingly verifying the accuracy of these certificates (there are plenty of fakes available). If you are caught lying, you will lose your job.

With regard to work experience, if you claim that you are competent at (say) MS Office products (e.g. Word, Excel etc) and once in the job, clearly you have no idea what's going on, you will lose your job.

Given the job market at the moment, it's a buyer's market and any prospective employer can afford to pick and choose. So there really is no point in lying. Plus, it's wrong.

Comment

you shouldnt lie but adapt your experience and qualifications to sound better, thats the whole point isnt it...where youre meanta big everything up...as an example, just say you have been in jamaat...that can be spoken of as community volunteering, and you further define it as volunteering within a faith-based background to promote mediation and education and welfare. Sports activities or just playing sports with friends/family is similar to youth recreational activities and enrichment/coaching etc.

then you can expand on all this by saying how it develops your skills, for eg communication, confidence, competency in adapting to different contexts etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by Atheist Chap View Post
              Whenever someone is accepted for a job, it is standard practice for a company to check out your work history by contacting previous employers. This will also include part-time jobs, work placements, charity work etc. They will also probably ask for any certificates you hold (assuming you are claiming a certain standard of education).

In respect of previous employers, they are required to confirm your dates of employment and your job title. Beyond that, it is discretionary - so don't pretend you were Sales Director for 5 years if you only worked in the post room for 6 months. If you are caught lying, you will lose your job.

With education certificates, employers are now increasingly verifying the accuracy of these certificates (there are plenty of fakes available). If you are caught lying, you will lose your job.

With regard to work experience, if you claim that you are competent at (say) MS Office products (e.g. Word, Excel etc) and once in the job, clearly you have no idea what's going on, you will lose your job.

Given the job market at the moment, it's a buyer's market and any prospective employer can afford to pick and choose. So there really is no point in lying. Plus, it's wrong.
              What he said.

Also there is nothing wrong with praising yourself and using what are called 'power' verbs/words to emphasize your job points/roles/duties etc. For example instead of saying you dealt with, you can say managed or executed... etc. Give yourself credit where its due but don't lie. Include as many things as you can, say you worked with your local mosque on a small project, that can be adapted in so many ways to illustrate team work, initiative, compassion etc. It doesn't all have to be high profile, but just genuine.

Also don't forget to have reliance in Allah. I recently applied for a job that I didn't think I would get, and to my suprise alhamdulilah I got it. Insh'Allah follow this and the other good advice and you will be fine.
              Last edited by sunrise; 21-01-11, 12:24 AM.
              Bye bye :salams

Comment

don't lie, just focus alot on the experience you do have and the skills you have gained.
                if you mnake up things you might get yourself into a big mess!
                check out this blog>>>http://myworldmuslimah.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by aadil77 View Post

dont lie to get dunya.
                  And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (All‚h) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in All‚h and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of All‚h with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Comment

you can stretch it a little bit... if you have knowledge or related abilities in that area you can write it. In an interview you can expand saying you learned that from school or somewhere doesnt always have to be work experience. (ex: writing analytical reports, statistical analysis, etc.) also depends on what you're applying for.

the trick isn't to lie, but carefully word each point in a way that not only makes the reader see what you did but can envision you taking that skill/ability/knowldedge/competancy and applying it not just somewhere else but at a higher level.
                    Screaming, But Will Never Be Heard

Comment

Working...
                    X