Advice needed! Help with feeding toddler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed! Help with feeding toddler

We have a wonderful toddler in the family that is a nightmare to feed.
    It takes an hour just to get a few bites of the food into his mouth. We just have to constantly play with him, and then he takes one bite and plays loads and then has another bite. He looks fine and healthy, but needs to eat his meal in one go. Honestly it is such hard work.
    So anyone got any advice on maybe what to feed him that may increase his appetite, or just let me know that im not the only one here with a toddler thats difficult to feed. lol
    Allah is compassionate and He loves compassion in all things. [Hadith]
    :lailah::ahb:

Re: Advice needed! Help with feeding toddler

The Desi way (that's how my aunts used to feed finicky kids):
    Hit them in the back few times and get them to cry. Then hit them again and they'll cry louder with their mouths open. Stuff the food in their mouths. I'm not even joking.

The normal way:
    Make food imaginative. Like a plane or a certain shape of animals or make faces on them or something. Eat with them or get other people around to eat with them. Get them involved in the cooking (not really cooking, like they're making rotis at the age of 2, but just to catch their interest).

Don't force feed. That might lead to choking.

There you have it.
    How do I know so much? :scratch:
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Originally posted by DarkChocolate View Post
      We have a wonderful toddler in the family that is a nightmare to feed.
      It takes an hour just to get a few bites of the food into his mouth. We just have to constantly play with him, and then he takes one bite and plays loads and then has another bite. He looks fine and healthy, but needs to eat his meal in one go. Honestly it is such hard work.
      So anyone got any advice on maybe what to feed him that may increase his appetite, or just let me know that im not the only one here with a toddler thats difficult to feed. lol
      oh happy days
      both parents doing it together helps alot
      they always like to splatter you back
      i fitted wipers on my glasses

Comment

Aoa, ur tod reminds me of my 8 month old...its very hard i totally agree..:) Now she is close to her first birthday and we are pretty much satisfied vd her eating habits.
        First of all, make a routine of meals and snack timings. During intervals make him use lots of energy...
        Secondly..we started with her favourites first..once she got into the habit of sitting and eating for a while we introduced varieties one by one and always gave her new food for atleast 4 continuous days.
        Next...we used a high chair...and lots of distractions( toys, books, ballons even cartoons)too but only when she will not eat by herself.
        We gradually increased her sitting time and meal quantity...most tiring of all is this step
        Also need to take care of all the extras in each meal including wind, room temperature, proper naps and the everyday bath...

Wish u all the best...

Comment

It doesn't take an hour to feed my boy but about half an hour. What we normally do is if we offer him food and it's not been TOO long since he's last eaten then if he refuses we put the food away and offer again in 45 mins/ hour etc. He'll usually start eating after this time, alhamdulillah. Also I find that when others are present, like my parents or my brothers then he'll just want to play and mess around and be centre of attention so either me or his mother will take him upstairs and feed him alone, alhamdulillah he'll eat then.

It can be frustrating when they don't seem to eat much but if the child has energy and is bouncing around then pretty much rely on ALLAH Ta'ala giving him an appetite which seems enough for his needs.

Finally, if the child's a big fan of sweets then have a no roti, no sweet policy. works good.

I know some people have an almost force feeding attitude but I hate that method and I always think if you do that and make meal times a thing to be dreaded or feared then it's gonna have the opposite effect and you'll ALWAYS be battling to get the kids to eat.
          Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Comment

Jazakallah guys, all really good advice. I'll have to pass the message on to the parents lol, its my nephew.
            He's the first baby in the family so he get LOTS of attention and choc's from someone or another. Whether thats grandparents or uncles etc. InshaAllah hope his appetite does go up though. Thanks for the adv.
            Allah is compassionate and He loves compassion in all things. [Hadith]
            :lailah::ahb:

Comment

Working...
            X