Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

about permissibility of birtday celebration-important!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about permissibility of birtday celebration-important!!!

salaam to all my brothers and sisters,

i have read several fatwas regarding the permissiblity of celebrating birthdays,some are against it,but some scholars say it is allowed as long as we are sure birthday celebrations do not come from other religions;i mean no religious meaning,no religious connection...

in wikipedia it says;
    "The early Christians did not celebrate Christ's birth because they considered the celebration of anyone's birth to be a pagan custom."

and;

"The World Book Encyclopedia considered anyone who celebrated the birth of anyone a pagan custom. The ancient Greeks, for instance, believed that each person had a protective spirit that attended the person’s birth and thereafter watched over him. That spirit “had a mystic relation with the god on whose birthday the individual was born,” says the book The Lore of Birthdays."

this is of course no fatwa or anything;i am not sure it is a clear evidence against celebrating birthdays because;

1.those are disputable sources (wikipedia and a foreign encyclopedia)

2.even if birthdays were celebrated by early pagans,today it is celebrated by many different societies and as far as i know no one celebrates it as a pagan custom.

so i cant say birthdays are allowed or not allowed in İslam,only a scholar can do.

i am just providing some information

Re: about permissibility of birtday celebration-important!!!

Walaikum salaam,

the way i see it is that rasalallah (saw) never celebrated birthdays nor did his companions
    Collection of Arabic Learning material and Islamic Books

Away for a bit

Comment

An individual birthday celebration is an occasion for a family get together.Any occasion to bring a family together helps to cement a bond and Islam encourages it so long as it does not have an irreligious flavour.

Comment

:wswrwb:

Check these:
        http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/1027
        http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503547996

أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

Comment

Mufti Muhammad Ibn Adam:

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,
          Principally, birthdays are not something that should be celebrated or be happy about. When it is someone's birthday, one year of his/her life has decreased, and not increased. As such, what intelligence is there in celebrating and showing happiness when a year has decreased in one's life?

Before understanding the legal ruling (hukm) with regards to birthday celebrations, it is worth remembering here that imitation of the unbelievers (Kuffar) is something that Islam strictly disapproves of.

In a Hadith recorded by Imam Abu Dawud (Allah have Mercy on him) and others, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said:

"Whosoever imitates a nation is amongst them." (Sunan Abu Dawud)

It should be remembered here that not everything that the non-Muslims wear and do, is Haram and unlawful. Imitation, which is prohibited, is effected in one of the following two ways:

a) One does something with the intention of imitating the Kuffar, meaning one does so because one wants to be like a particular non-believer or non-believers.

b) Doing something that is unique and exclusive to the non-believers or it is part of their faith. This will also be considered imitation, thus Haram (unlawful). (Taqrir Tirmidhi by Shaykh Mufti Taqi Usmani)

In light of the above, there are few situations with regards to the Shariah (legal) ruling on celebrating birthdays:

1) If it is celebrated by imitating the Kuffar, in that all or some of the customs that are unique with the Kuffar are adopted, or acts that are unlawful in Shariah are committed, then there is no doubt in its impermissibility. The lighting of candles on a cake that number the years of one's life and then blowing on them, playing of music, singing, extravagant and lavish spending, showing off, etc are all unlawful and forbidden practices. Thus, if birthdays are celebrated by adopting the above-mentioned customs, it will not be permissible.

2) If the above-mentioned evils are avoided, then there are two possibilities:

a) If one celebrates birthdays with the intention of imitating the Kuffar meaning one does so because one wants to be like the Kuffar, then, as stated previously, it will be considered imitating the Kuffar, thus unlawful.

b) If there is no intention of imitating the Kuffar (and also the above mentioned evils are avoided) then the ruling on celebrating birthdays will depend on whether it originated from the religious customs of the non-Muslims and on whether it is part of their faith or otherwise. (It can not be considered to be unique with the Kuffar, for celebrating birthdays has become a widespread phenomenon that is carried out in many different parts of the world). I am personally unaware of whether celebrating birthdays has a connection with the Christian faith or otherwise, thus I am unable to give a decisive ruling.

However, I have mentioned the criterion of which the ruling will be based. If the origins of birthday celebrations are connected to a particular faith, then there is no doubt in its impermissibility. If, however, it has no connections with the faith of the non-Muslims, then (and Allah knows best) it seems that it would be permissible to celebrate it (provided the evils mentioned above are avoided).

3) If one thanks Allah and shows gratitude for being blessed with one more year of his life, thus expresses happiness and joy, then there is nothing wrong with that. (See: Fatawa al-Rahimiyya (urdu), 6/320)

And Allah Knows Best

Muhammad ibn Adam
          Darul Iftaa
          Leicester , UK

Comment

assalamu alaykum

i dont understand how anybody could want to celebrate their bday, i mean, what is there to celebrate when you are one year closer to death?

my bday is always the saddest day of the year!
            http://www.deenulhuq.wordpress.com

Don't depend on anyone too much in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness ~ibn taymiyyah

Comment

Originally posted by sis_on_sunnah View Post
              assalamu alaykum

i dont understand how anybody could want to celebrate their bday, i mean, what is there to celebrate when you are one year closer to death?

yh i know!

Comment

assalamu alaykum

It is also the happiest day as it draws you closer to the Creator.

Comment

its not Allawed because its a kuffar innovation. do not immitate them.

seecondly if you want to celebrate your birthday then count your sins then spend the night begging for Allahs forgivness.
                  And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (Allâh) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in Allâh and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of Allâh with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Comment

Originally posted by uncle umar View Post
                    its not Allawed because its a kuffar innovation.
                    seriously simpe logic yet people have a hard time understanding this.

Comment

assalamu alaykum

OK, my opinion on the issue:

The prophet has never said that we cannot celebrate and be happy. The prophet has also never said that we are restricted to having fun only on the 2 festival days.

Basically, if I want to celebrate and be happy on any given day, I can just go ahead and do it. I am not going to listen to any scholar dictate to me what to do and what not to do.

I am yet to see clear evidence which specifically prohbits the celebration of birthdays or anniverseries for that matter.

Regarding the "imitation of the infidels" argument, well.. Just because some random scholar says that celebrating birthdays is an imitation, does not mean that it is actually an imitation. It is only his opinion and no scholar's opinion can be considered as an absolute reference. In my opinion, celebrating birthdays is a normal, ordinary practice. Now why would I consider some random scholar's opinion over my opinion.

And also, when you say "scholar", how do you quantify a scholar. Just because the masses say a particular person is a scholar, does not mean that he is actually a scholar. There needs to be a concrete method to quantify a scholar.

Looking forward to all your replies :)

Comment

Originally posted by energy View Post
                        OK, my opinion on the issue:

The prophet has never said that we cannot celebrate and be happy. The prophet has also never said that we are restricted to having fun only on the 2 festival days.

Basically, if I want to celebrate and be happy on any given day, I can just go ahead and do it. I am not going to listen to any scholar dictate to me what to do and what not to do.
                        In other words, are you saying that your opinion/research is stronger than the folks who have studied this religion longer than you have?

Please also put your definition of a Scholar and we'll try to find you evidence from a scholar that fits that criteria, insha'allah.

Comment

I think birthdays are overrated. On my birthday, I look and feel the same I did the day before, so is it really as special as everyone says it is?
                          Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Excuse_me View Post
                            In other words, are you saying that your opinion/research is stronger than the folks who have studied this religion longer than you have?

Please also put your definition of a Scholar and we'll try to find you evidence from a scholar that fits that criteria, insha'allah.
                            It is not about whose opinion is stronger or better.. the point is, we all have a equally capable brain to analyze and understand things, and my brain power is in no way inferior to the scholar's brain power.. That is why I will not cling on to and blindly believe anything that a scholar says.

Me personally, I always scrutinize and/or challenge any theory given to me. As I mentioned in my previous post, I am yet to see clear evidence / instruction which specifically prohbits the celebration of birthdays. With this in mind, I have no issues with celebrating my birthday or anybody else's.

Comment

Originally posted by energy View Post
                              It is not about whose opinion is stronger or better.. the point is, we all have a equally capable brain to analyze and understand things, and my brain power is in no way inferior to the scholar's brain power.. That is why I will not cling on to and blindly believe anything that a scholar says.

Me personally, I always scrutinize and/or challenge any theory given to me. As I mentioned in my previous post, I am yet to see clear evidence / instruction which specifically prohbits the celebration of birthdays. With this in mind, I have no issues with celebrating my birthday or anybody else's.
                              I am referring to knowledge. Not everyone is equal in knowledge. Are you saying your knowledge is the same as the Scholars?

Do you have any evidence that the first three generation celebrated birthdays?

Comment

Working...
                              X