Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Blame Game within cultures

Aa.
    I'm referring to the Asian-Indian continent.
    I've hear alot of pakistani people constantly saying how bangladeshi culture has alot of Hindu traditions. ie. the sari, the stomach showing from wearing the sari and other various things. But I havent often heard Bangladeshis saying that Pakistani culture has alot of Hindu influence.

Now from my own personal experience of the two cultures, I have to say that I find the Pakistani culture, somewhat more aggressive in their approach and very defensive when confronted about their traditions. No doubt there are Hindu influences within both cultures, but why the need for the blame game? Simply by wearing a salwar kameez instead of sari does not make you a better muslim. In fact I have seen bangladeshi friends wearing saris that cover them completely, no stomach or waist sticking out. It just looks like a dress with pleats and bits hanging off. The few issues I have found with Bangladeshi custom is that many consider the dot on the ladies head as a cultural thing and forget that it is imitating another religion and also the fact they many still bow down in front of their elders and touch their feet and do not consider it is as bowing. However I believe this custom is starting to be left behind as more people learn the deen.

I've watched some wedding films and attended some weddings from cultures and I have to say they both have strange and unislamic traditions, but I have found more strange Hindu or otherwise unislamic wedding customs in the Pakistani wedding films than the Bangladeshi ones. Mixing of genders, dancing with songs like theyve jumped out of bollywood, quite shameless songs aswell. That being the most common tradition.
    There was a wedding film where the mother of the bride started throwing water or milk over the carriage her daughter was in.
    the bride tipping some utensil filled with something as she walks past something.

yh so, u get where im coming from.

I think its fair to say that theres non-islamic influence in both cultures.
    I wonder whether anyone else has experienced anything along these lines, ie. one culture blaming the other.
    Allah is compassionate and He loves compassion in all things. [Hadith]
    :lailah::ahb:

Re: The Blame Game within cultures

Yea some cultural practices can be really bad.

Comment

:salams

There are pakistani and bengali members on here and i doubt we're gonna sit here comparing which culture has more influence from hindu culture, it would just lead to arguing etc.
      It's fair to say both cultures have influence from hindu culture, maybe if you're interested you can look at the history of pakistan and bangladesh to see when they became independent, and how similar each country is to the region of india which it close to geographically.
      It's sad that we allow culture to affect our Islam, may Allah Ta'ala guide us all, ameen :love:
      "You are the best nation raised up for men. You enjoin good and forbid evil, and you believe in Allah." (Surah Al Imran 3:110)

Comment

I came across a recent phenomenon of girls chucking a handful of rice behind them as they leave their parental home, and tipping a bowl of rice when entering their marital dwelling - this is amongst some Muslim P'stani families. And I thought it was only practised in Hindu's.

Was a right shock to find out!
        You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

Comment

I recently went to a (muslim) Walima where they had a first dance and then everyone else joined in and went wild

Comment

the muslims in pakistani predominately reverted from buddhism not hinduism, though there is a lot of cultural cross over between the two.

from an outsiders point of view looking in, both have a huge amount of jahiliyyah as part of their culture, but so does everyone else.

what is the difference when a british revert is still celebrating christmas or a indo-pakistani celebrates diwali or persian new year? we condemn both and even use the same evidences for both positions.
            Daw'ud... is retired from ummah forum

Comment

both bride and groom drinking a sip of champagne.
              "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

tell those pakistani people who are generalizing that don't you love watching the hindus fight in their sari's on star plus tv channel?
                Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
                فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Comment

Originally posted by x--x View Post
                  I recently went to a (muslim) Walima where they had a first dance and then everyone else joined in and went wild
                  Dance floors are starting to become increasingly popular in recent years. I have yet to see one at a wedding but all the last couple of mendhis have had one here. Its getting worse and worse as time goes on.

Comment

paki, india and bangaladesh are more or less the same interms of culture. the countries have the same values.. Completely different from that of the west.. Alot of emphasize on family values.. Main difference in paki and india is that Pakistani is a muslim country India is a hindu country.
                    don't brand me as nationalist cz i love peace.

Comment

you know what gets me though, is how many imams and scholars justify hindu jahiliyya and tell kids that they have no right to stand up for their rights against their parents, and wives that they have no right to stand up for their rights against their husband and/or mother in law. There are some cultural practices such as forced marriage or refusing to allow their children to marry for reasons that are not Islamically justifiable and wives being forced to endure abuse at the hands of her mother in law, and also domestic abuse where the husband is beating the wife or in other ways failing to fulfil her rights such as forcing her to go to work, or completely failing to support her at all (even though he's capable)..... and then when you try to help people in these situations, you get imams and scholars saying "your parents know what's best for you" (i.e. let them destroy your life by forcing you to marry someone you don't want to marry) and "just put up with it and make dua for your situation to improve" (i.e. i have no backbone and I'm too scared to enjoin the good and forbid the evil because the family doing this to her is an influential one in the community).

Muslims need to take a much harder line against all cultural innovations that are polluting the deen in many parts of the world. It's not just desi culture, it happens all over. We need imams and scholars that will enjoin the good and forbid the evil, and tell parents straight that they don't have the right to force their kids to marry, that they don't have the right to stop their kids from marrying, unless the intended has a bad character or is not a practicing Muslim. Imams who will protect abused women, not send them back for more.... it's no wonder that the non Muslims think Islam is oppressive to women, because there are so many corners of the world (and corners of the UK with people who originate from those corners of the world) that either turn a blind eye to these things or even twist the scriptures in an attempt to justify them.

And I'm not speaking from ignorance, I've tried to help a lot of people in bad situations and I keep coming up against Imams who give this extremely dodgy "advice" that allows those who are practicing oppression in these ways to continue to practice it, instead of upholding the rights that Islam affords to wives and children. it's time for Muslims to make a much bigger stand against cultural pollution.
                      [CENTER]
                      [/CENTER]
                      [CENTER]
                      [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                      [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by IbnulQayyim View Post
                        tell those pakistani people who are generalizing that don't you love watching the hindus fight in their sari's on star plus tv channel?
                        it's not about pakistani v bengali..... it's about real Islam v cultural deviations. why waste time comparing how much hinduism there is in one rather than the other... instead make sure that you and your family know and understand the difference between culture and Islam. try to get an imam in your local masjid who understands the difference and won't be afraid to stand up for real Islam. try (through khutbahs, halaqas etc) to educate your community about the difference between culture and Islam....
                        [CENTER]
                        [/CENTER]
                        [CENTER]
                        [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                        [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

I've been to both weddings and I have to say the actual brides were decent not to get involved in all the dancing and festivities.
                          But in the Pakistani one I did notice that music was playing but not in a "raving" manner more like atmospheric, but there was still dancing.
                          But in the Bengali one I noticed that most of the girls were like acting as if they were in a club dancing, smoking, getting high etc.
                          But I believe it depends on how your family raise you, that is to say if you have enough respect for your parents, but it all depends on the person :/

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post
                            Dance floors are starting to become increasingly popular in recent years. I have yet to see one at a wedding but all the last couple of mendhis have had one here. Its getting worse and worse as time goes on.
                            DJ's and mixed dancing have been around at Mehndis and Engagements for as long as I can remember. That was the first time I've seen it at a Walima, people usually act in a respectful way on the wedding and walima day but seems that is changing too.

Comment

assalamu alaykum,

this hindu culture makes me :vomit: and it makes me more sick when muslims are following their ways :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:
                              http://www.deenulhuq.wordpress.com

Don't depend on anyone too much in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness ~ibn taymiyyah

Comment

Working...
                              X