Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think this statement is true about women of present age ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think this statement is true about women of present age ?

I was listening to a person who was explaining the causes of decline of 'Muslims' in the present age. (Of course that can't be related to western culture because unlike them, the success of a Muslim Society is in the lifestyle of our Prophet (saw) and his wives). He then mentioned many commonly known and discussed qualities of the companions (Suhabas) of the Prophet (saw) that can not be found in present age MEN!

What I found surprising and unexpected was the difference he mentioned between the women of the present and the past. First he mentioned how strong was the relationship our role models among women had with Allah (swt), like Hazrat Khadija (r.a), Hazrat Fatima (r.a)....etc. that their prayers were accepted even before they raised their hands. How most of their time was spent in remembrance of Allah (swt), teaching and learning of Quran, character development of the new generation (as children were mostly influenced by mothers than fathers) and all the things that were 'mostly' related to the benefits of the hereafter. But then he mentioned something very common in todays women that rarely used to consume so much time of our role models:

"Aaj kal ki auraton ko bannanay sawarney ke ilawa kuch sujhta hi nahin"

Translation: Todays women don't seem to think much about anything 'more' than beautifying themselves.

Do you think that this attitude of few women to spend 'most' of their time in physical presentation and watching the stuff (fashion shows, dramas,...etc.) that promotes their advertisement as a sexual object/decoration piece (sorry, but thats what media is promoting) has led to the decrease of their degree in a society that used to previously respect and honor her more because of her stronger personality and contribution in development of the character of the next generation ?

p.s. Please let us share our views with logical reasonings and respect. There is no need for us to get overly emotional and attack the ones who don't agree with us.
    Last edited by Submit To Peace; 03-01-11, 09:58 PM.
    Read not to contradict and confute, not to believe and take for granted, not to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider. Inhale positive, exhale negative

Re: Do you think this statement is true about women of present age ?

:wswrwb:

Hmm...interesting.

I think that every group (women, men, children, teenagers etc) have been distracted from their role. Women have been told to focus on beautifying themselves, in looking a certain way, fitting a certain image. Every group have been made to focus on something else. Women have been distracted to the extent that some of them fit into the stereotype they are given.

So yes, definently we've been distracted and even the idea of bringing up a new generation at an early age has been pushed to a later age by society which is why we now get individuals focusing their energy on other roles.

I defo think it's a true statement. It's just another stereotype and a prophecy which many women have fulfilled.

Buut, to add, when it comes to marriage for example, even brothers expect a certain image, they expect their 'wife' to fit the typical stereotype which society has given women. They too have been influenced so that expectation they have, makes some muslim women feel the need to fill that image.

So we've all been influenced and the cycle seems to be going around. Until those who realise what Islam is and disregard these stereotypes etc and change their fpcus come into the picture.
    (The hypocrites) will call the believers: "Were we not with you?" The believers will reply: "Yes! But you led yourselves into temptations, you looked forward for our destruction; you doubted (in Faith); and you were deceived by false desires, till the Command of Allah came to pass. And the chief deceiver (Satan) deceived you in respect of Allah."57:14

Comment

^ Very well said. jazakAllah khair for sharing your views.

I feel that Islam certainly doesn't forbid physical beautification, but as is the mafhoom of a hadith: Allah (swt) doesn't look at your face & worldly possessions but your heart & deeds. The point is that one should dress up oneself with Taqwa to face Allah with a stainless heart (washed with make up of repentance), because sensible is the one who beautifies himself for Allah (swt) and the Prophet (saw) more than for anyone else. And the cosmetics for the soul is the beautification of every part of one's body through its right use. Like, beautification of eyes is less with the eyeliner and more with its prevention from a lustful gaze/ tears that fall in fear of Allah's punishment & reciting Quran to be used as lipstick...etc. and so on. I might be totally wrong. In that case Allah (swt) may forgive me and guide me towards the right path. Allah (swt) knows best!

For some, Allah (swt) reward them even in this life with the makeup of noor on their face, for their good deeds. May be those who protect their eyes from sins might be able to see that noor. I am not that good but i am sure there are many on this forum, by the grace & mercy of Allah (swt).
      Last edited by Submit To Peace; 03-01-11, 11:08 PM.
      Read not to contradict and confute, not to believe and take for granted, not to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider. Inhale positive, exhale negative

Comment

For my part I believe women have been thinking of beautifying themselves the day make-up was invented 5,000 years ago (at least i suppose) whatever their ethnicity, place, religion so i guess why would that change today?
        The only difference is some women spend 100£ in an anti-aging cream when Cleopatra was having she-ass's milk baths. I think also a lot feel pressure to do things that they wouldn't do in other circumstances.
        My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername
        Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

Originally posted by Submit To Peace View Post
          ^ Very well said. jazakAllah khair for sharing your views.

I feel that Islam certainly doesn't forbid physical beautification, but as is the mafhoom of a hadith: Allah (swt) doesn't look at your face & worldly possessions but your heart & deeds. The point is that one should dress up oneself with Taqwa to face Allah with a stainless heart (washed with make up of repentance), because sensible is the one who beautifies himself for Allah (swt) and the Prophet (saw) more than for anyone else. And the cosmetics for the soul is the beautification of every part of one's body through its right use. Like, beautification of eyes is less with the eyeliner and more with its prevention from a lustful gaze/ tears that fall in fear of Allah's punishment & reciting Quran to be used as lipstick...etc. and so on. I might be totally wrong. In that case Allah (swt) may forgive me and guide me towards the right path. Allah (swt) knows best!

For some, Allah (swt) reward them even in this life with the makeup of noor on their face, for their good deeds. May be those who protect their eyes from sins might be able to see that noor. I am not that good but i am sure there are many on this forum, by the grace & mercy of Allah (swt).
          Yep! I see what your point is and i do agree. It'll only be those who also have clean hearts, eyes who'll see through the individual. They will be able to see the noor (that isn't fake-up)).

:jkk:
          (The hypocrites) will call the believers: "Were we not with you?" The believers will reply: "Yes! But you led yourselves into temptations, you looked forward for our destruction; you doubted (in Faith); and you were deceived by false desires, till the Command of Allah came to pass. And the chief deceiver (Satan) deceived you in respect of Allah."57:14

Comment

Assalaamualikum, Well, in my opinion I think women today are more self-conscious about their physical self image than women of the past because of all the constant emphasis on physical beauty in the media (adverts etc). But I believe it is wrong to generalise that all women only think about beautifying themselves.

Every individual in a particular society is most likely to adhere to their social norms and if looking as beautiful as you can is the norm most will strive to do it but there will always be some people in society who will dare to disagree (aka rebels) with these ideals and refuse to be sheep. Everyone wants to be physically beautiful and most will try to be until they are satisfied with themselves, but it depends on what society/family/religion a woman comes from that determines how much she will strive to attain physical beauty.

For example, if a woman who was born as Muslim who was brought up with religious upbringing, in a society where modesty in character is very well respected and wearing too much make up is frowned upon then she is more likely to care about beautifying the soul than her face. In the other hand, if a Muslim woman is brought up in a society where physical beauty is worshipped where good character will not get her much respect and was brought up with hardly any religious guidance by her family or society than she is more likely to follow the mainstreams.

But of course there are always the rebels like myself in every society who refuses to be blind followers. :)
            Last edited by faithheals; 03-01-11, 11:45 PM.

Comment

^Walaikum Assalam. I agree, thanks for sharing.

For readers, just to clarify any possible misunderstanding, no one denies the importance of health and even to make oneself presentable. When we talk of keeping a 'balance', I guess we mean to say that we should give only as much time, energy and wealth to each activity as much it holds value in our belief system and in our hereafter life. Keeping oneself healthy plus physically fit is very good, even though it is not directly related to the over use of cosmetics/fashion/beautifying treatments...etc. What might be alarming is the adoption of every latest beautifying research & development to such an extent that one goes too deep into it, unlike our ideals, that it starts to consume too much of our wealth, energy and time, also at times at the cost of the time plus energy which was meant for our soul beautification, which certainly deserves relatively a lot more time, as evident from the lives of the wives and daughters of the Prophet (saw).

Comment

Uhh, women have always struggled to beautify themselves under male pressure. Classic Arab beauty procedure? The fenugreek women of sultan's harems used to eat to form a larger bosom?

Comment

but then there is that pressure from (some of) the brothers wanting a beautiful wife that encourages women to act like this. Perhaps we should start on that discussion.
                  Allah is compassionate and He loves compassion in all things. [Hadith]
                  :lailah::ahb:

Comment

^^^ exactly!!! But then again those who expect that image aren't worth considering.

Comment

What forced me to think over it was the fact that I always used to strongly feel that my mother, sister, wife and other female relatives are a lot more blessed than me and other male members of our family, (in terms of loving nature, teaching with logical reasoning, patience, and tolerance) when it comes to guidance of the younger ones, but some how they never find much time for it, even though they are at home most of the time. It is always quite hurting to see such talent and capabilities not utilized for what it used to be utilized in the earlier times of Islam. The credit of a child's good character was always given to mothers, whose role was quite deep in development of every capability of a child, by the grace and mercy of Allah (swt).

I might be totally wrong, but I feel that mostly men (specially the ones like me) in present age relatively don't possess much qualities of developing the character of the next generation, when we compare with women of present age.

Comment

Depends which woman you're referring to. There are loads, not all of them are only more bothered about their appearances. I'm not and I can honestly say that. Not really a materialistic/make up kind of person truthfully. But I do know a few who are.

Comment

It is amazing that for us what is a reasonable use of time for physical beautification was way too much 'wastage of time' for our ideals. Hazrat Ayesha (r.a) weeping her heart out at the time of leaving this world, that she hasn't done enough to please her Allah (swt), while throughout her life she always buried all her desires of her physical beautification inside her heart only to give more and more and more time for spiritual beautification....I read about the lives of Hazrat Fatima (r.a), Hazrat Asma (r.a), Hazrat Zainab (r.a),...etc. and I don't remember anywhere anything about their time spent on themselves. They must have taken care of their health and appearance, but never ever I read about their spending money on that...Sorry, but this is the truth. Of course I am not judging anyone in present age or calling them wrong, but just to mention the level of dedication of our role models for their spiritual beautification.

Of course, we can't reach the dust of their feet, but their example just gives us a direction, a path to follow even if we are able to achieve 1 % of that. They didn't follow the trend. Even if the whole worlds follow a fashion, they used to give way to much time, energy and wealth to deeds that would benefit them 'more' in the hereafter. Someone just after the times of the Suhaba (r.a) asked a Taba'iyi (who has seen a Suhabi) about Suhabas. He replied, " If you see a Suhabi in real life, you would think of him to be 'mad', who is not thinking of himself but only about fulfilling the orders of the Almighty, but if they see us in real life, they would certainly be forced to consider us as 'devils', because of the low level of our dedication towards the Almighty and way too much towards ourselves..

Sorry for going off topic, just felt like sharing my limited understanding of the perspective of the physical and spiritual beautification of our ideals.

Comment

Salaam-

after the 1960s feminist movement all-
                            it seems although there may have been some good stuff out of it
                            its just detrimental to women as a whole their character, their personality their natural role seeming inferior

honenstly, i agree that women are most important to helping the future ummah grow
                            with the gross ideas about women protrayed through the media, its just reduced them to another object which serves men-
                            contradictory to the aim of the feminist movement

Muslim women who concern themselves with beuatifying too much, idolising makeup n hair too much
                            without beautifying the soul or those around her- shes lowered herself and it was her that did it

Yes we should take care of our physical, but balance with spiritual education and with self respect and i believe it will help the ummah alot as they are the mothers
                            .................................................. ............ ;)................................................ ...................................

Comment

We shouldn't blame women much. Men are worse they use women as sex objects regardless of the culture or religion. Women are harassed, abused and fooled all over the world by men. Those men who blame women for their own shortcomings or decline are losers. If man has some shame, he will not let his woman do bad stuff.
                              Yesterday I saw a girl who was hardly 16 or 17 roaming in the street and hungry men had their evil eyes chasing on her. First I couldn't understand what it was about, and then I saw her the second time passing by, I called her, asked why she was moving about, she said she was looking for her mum, I said go home or Allah forbid anything bad might happen to you and then I had to leave that place. Later I felt sorry for her. Perhaps men in her family were losers, they wouldn't work, so a girl as small as her had to sell her body to the cunning men, who either cheat on their wives or so. I blame men for all this decline of the Islamic society.
                              Last edited by Debater; 05-01-11, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X