Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for converts

Assalamu alaikum

For the past couple of days I have had something on my mind. It really upsets me when I see decent / semi-decent kafir who are good at heart shall we say, or I think they are good at heart but then do the odd things which are completely immoral.

There are not many non-muslims that you normally see as decent. But, I was wondering whether they are acctually genuine people that we should invite towards islam or whether they all their decency is just an act they put on.

I wanted to know:

1. What was your sense of morality like before you accepted Islam. Was clubbing, raving, skimpy clothing, drinking, sex before marraige etc accepted as part of the social norm or did you see them as acts of immorality and indecency as muslims percieve it?

2. What brought towards Islam? Was it a desire that came from within you or something that external brought on from your friends / peers.

Hope this makes sense!!
    Jkk Wassalam.

Re: Question for converts

1) I didn't dress modestly like now but I didn't dress skimpy either. I didn't get involved in drinking, clubs, sex ect. but I'm only 15 now so it's not the same as if I became a muslim as an adult. But at the same time I've never been the sort who wants to go out drinking and clubbing, it's never seemed like the sort of life I want.

2) A mix. I was introduced when my mum met and married my muslim stepdad. She soon became a muslim. She always wanted me to become a muslim quickly and I wasn't keen on the idea at all. But my stepdad was actually better about it and he introduced me to Islam in a more understanding way. I became a muslim of my own accord. It's been a big change and I've felt pressured at times (Especially as my stepdad's gotten quite strict now) but I don't regret it.

People vary. Some people prefer to live a better and more quiet life, but it's the people who do the opposite that get noticed more.

Comment

:jkk:

May Allah stregthen ur Imaan.

(I messed up the rep comments lol)

Comment

Originally posted by mundo View Post
        Assalamu alaikum

For the past couple of days I have had something on my mind. It really upsets me when I see decent / semi-decent kafir who are good at heart shall we say, or I think they are good at heart but then do the odd things which are completely immoral.

There are not many non-muslims that you normally see as decent. But, I was wondering whether they are acctually genuine people that we should invite towards islam or whether they all their decency is just an act they put on.

I wanted to know:

1. What was your sense of morality like before you accepted Islam. Was clubbing, raving, skimpy clothing, drinking, sex before marraige etc accepted as part of the social norm or did you see them as acts of immorality and indecency as muslims percieve it?

2. What brought towards Islam? Was it a desire that came from within you or something that external brought on from your friends / peers.

Hope this makes sense!!
        Jkk Wassalam.
        wa alaykumus salaam,

as i sometimes joke "i was not very good at being a kafir"

i didnt smoke, i didnt do drugs, i didnt believe in sex before marriage, i got involved in a local charity (well until i found out they were a front for the freemasons anyway) and i had even stopped drinking.

but the reason i did all these things was because i believed in a creator and wanted to please him, and even though i had read the bible and believed it contained good moral advice, i couldnt follow it all as too many problems with it, including original sin and trinity which were the two matters which originally drove my parents out of the protestant and catholic churches.

i was pretty much a muslim waiting to happen and i thank Allah for finally putting people my way who gave me dawah and pushed me that last fraction i needed to go to become muslim, alhamdulillah.

but not everyone is the same, nor do they all have the same motivations for what they do.

so the reason someone might be polite is because that has become part of their moral values,
        or it might just be custom or tradition i.e it might be taught in their family, school, town or village but without the reasons why.

others may be convinced something like saying please and thankyou is nice, but are not believing in it strongly so have a bad day and it drops out of the window because it is not a deeply held belief.
        where as someone who is taught that from a toddler might not believe or not believe it is right or wrong, they just do it automatically.
        Daw'ud... is retired from ummah forum

Comment

Originally posted by dawud_uk View Post
          wa alaykumus salaam,

as i sometimes joke "i was not very good at being a kafir"

i didnt smoke, i didnt do drugs, i didnt believe in sex before marriage, i got involved in a local charity (well until i found out they were a front for the freemasons anyway) and i had even stopped drinking.

but the reason i did all these things was because i believed in a creator and wanted to please him, and even though i had read the bible and believed it contained good moral advice, i couldnt follow it all as too many problems with it, including original sin and trinity which were the two matters which originally drove my parents out of the protestant and catholic churches.

i was pretty much a muslim waiting to happen and i thank Allah for finally putting people my way who gave me dawah and pushed me that last fraction i needed to go to become muslim, alhamdulillah.

but not everyone is the same, nor do they all have the same motivations for what they do.

so the reason someone might be polite is because that has become part of their moral values,
          or it might just be custom or tradition i.e it might be taught in their family, school, town or village but without the reasons why.

others may be convinced something like saying please and thankyou is nice, but are not believing in it strongly so have a bad day and it drops out of the window because it is not a deeply held belief.
          where as someone who is taught that from a toddler might not believe or not believe it is right or wrong, they just do it automatically.
          Jamal-al-Din Afghani said: "I lived in the West, I saw Islam, but I never saw any Muslims. I lived in the East, and I saw the Muslims, but I never saw Islam."

Comment

:jkk:

I have been watching videos on youtube regarding other peoples conversions.

I think its when people start to comtemplate from within do they step out and search for the truth.

People need to have a certain level of decency and sincerity in order to gain the courage to take the shadah.

May Allah shower his blessings upon you.

Keep the stories coming

Comment

born muslims have this idea that kuffar are a bunch of drunken sex addicts who enjoy evil.

well only some are like that, but most are not. most actually want a solution t their depressions and anxieties and stuff like that.

and lots of non muslims dont like pork or booze, or like to sleep arround. some are modest in dress ect ect. it depends on the person.
              And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (All‚h) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in All‚h and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of All‚h with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Comment

Originally posted by uncle umar View Post
                born muslims have this idea that kuffar are a bunch of drunken sex addicts who enjoy evil.

well only some are like that, but most are not. most actually want a solution t their depressions and anxieties and stuff like that.

and lots of non muslims dont like pork or booze, or like to sleep arround. some are modest in dress ect ect. it depends on the person.
                i agree with this, tbh those who have this kind of generalised idea of kuffar is quite ignorant. do people not realise that there are lots of types of people within non muslims, of course theres good and bad among them and not the same at all. and yet we complain when they generalise about us
                :wacko:
                .: Rufaida :.
                .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
                http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
                ďPeople praise you for what they suppose is in you,
                but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.Ē
                ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
                <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

agreed!!

the best among muslims were once non muslims... people dont realize y converted muslims r called reverts...
                  Last edited by AvenueToPeace; 04-01-11, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wishing Well View Post
                    1) I didn't dress modestly like now but I didn't dress skimpy either. I didn't get involved in drinking, clubs, sex ect. but I'm only 15 now so it's not the same as if I became a muslim as an adult. But at the same time I've never been the sort who wants to go out drinking and clubbing, it's never seemed like the sort of life I want.

2) A mix. I was introduced when my mum met and married my muslim stepdad. She soon became a muslim. She always wanted me to become a muslim quickly and I wasn't keen on the idea at all. But my stepdad was actually better about it and he introduced me to Islam in a more understanding way. I became a muslim of my own accord. It's been a big change and I've felt pressured at times (Especially as my stepdad's gotten quite strict now) but I don't regret it.

People vary. Some people prefer to live a better and more quiet life, but it's the people who do the opposite that get noticed more.
                    MashaAllah. May Allah increase your eman
                    don't brand me as nationalist cz i love peace.

Comment

Originally posted by AvenueToPeace View Post
                      agreed!!

the best among muslims were once non muslims... people dont realize y converted muslims r called reverts...
                      umar ibn khattab said that the best of those in jahiliya are the best of those in islam.

and take umar ibn khattab for example on this. he wanted to kill the prophet pbuh because thats how much he hated islam. but then he became a muslim and in the first few hours of him being muslim he did more then what this ummah has done in the past 200 years or even more!

he went on the streets and publicly announced his reversion and then he went to the prophet pbuh and the other sahabas to make tawaf arround the ka'bah AND make salah in the masjid al harram.

so when he became muslim his aversion to kufr and shirk was just as great as his aversion to islam when he was a non muslim.

and he brought all the skills he had from jahiliya into islam.
                      And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (All‚h) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in All‚h and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of All‚h with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Comment

Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post
                        i agree with this, tbh those who have this kind of generalised idea of kuffar is quite ignorant. do people not realise that there are lots of types of people within non muslims, of course theres good and bad among them and not the same at all. and yet we complain when they generalise about us
                        Thats the thing. I know a few non muslims who dont do most of the bad stuff. They only do 1 or two. To me the ones who do 1 or 2 bad things appear better in aqhlaq than those who do everything.

After getting to know some of the good ones, it does hit me that noor-e-imaan is a huuuge blessing of Allah SWT. It saddens me aswell that some people are just not inclined towards faith.

But yeh I agree with what you are saying.

JazakAllah.

Comment

Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post
                          yeah i was going to say all this!! in fact most of the stuff the OP mentions is just a recent thing that's been around this generation only, like clubbing, skimpy clothes etc. my parents and especialy my grandparents never did those things!!! there's currently a binge drinking culture among young people but it's not British culture at all, not what my grandparents would recognise as such, they'd be dead against it, and lots of young people are also against the binge drinking culture. if you think that all non Muslims are like that then you must have a very narrow view of non Muslims...... maybe you're only looking at university students or something....... how about take a wider view... look at how elderly non Muslims are, how non Muslim mums with kids are and stuff, and you'll see just how narrow a view it is that you have. As for "is decency just an act they put on" - what do you think you are talking about? spies? why would they "put an act on"? they are human beings, just trying to go about their lives in the best way they know how, same as everyone else on this planet. honestly the way you talk of them it's like you're talking about mossad or something. Read what uncle umar says above.....

As for what reverts were like before they became Muslim, why do you need to know this? Do you think that only those who are already behaving as Muslims are going to become Muslim? Only Allah knows who will or won't be guided to Islam. Also, it's not polite to ask reverts about their past sins, so no-one's going to say "yes I used to go clubbing/drink alcohol/dress like a prostitute" kind of thing, cause that's revealing past sins, and in saying "I didn't do those things" that's like boasting about having more deen ul fitr than average, which isn't nice either, becuase it's not nice for the reverts who didn't have that deen ul fitr.

Just so you know, though, there are reverts who have done the most dreadful things before becoming Muslim, worse than all the things you've listed. So you shouldn't consider anyone a hopeless case, dawa wise. You should invite everyone to Islam, not just the ones who "seem decent" to you. Only Allah knows who will be guided.
                          [CENTER]
                          [/CENTER]
                          [CENTER]
                          [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                          [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by mundo View Post
                            Thats the thing. I know a few non muslims who dont do most of the bad stuff. They only do 1 or two. To me the ones who do 1 or 2 bad things appear better in aqhlaq than those who do everything.

After getting to know some of the good ones, it does hit me that noor-e-imaan is a huuuge blessing of Allah SWT. It saddens me aswell that some people are just not inclined towards faith.

But yeh I agree with what you are saying.

JazakAllah.
                            you can't judge non Muslims by whether they do "one or two" bad things or "all of them" - give them all dawa, only Allah knows who will be guided.
                            [CENTER]
                            [/CENTER]
                            [CENTER]
                            [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                            [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

There are so many Muslims who act worse than a kafir, they're called Muslims because they were born in Muslim families. Take the example of Pakistanis, I'm one of them and seriously I'm sick of them. They lie, they cheat, they oppress you, they kill you, all for the sake of money and desires. And literally they are worse than kuffar in their actions. That's the reason why Allah sent Tsunami to the so called Muslim countries, floods, invasions and loads of other punishments through Non-Muslims like Americans (Christians) and Israelis (Jews), because they call themselves Muslims yet they've been fighting Allah and His Messenger sallAllahu 'alayhe wasallam by disobeying them and obeying the satan generally in the lands they claim they own. Non Muslims have an excuse they did not receive the light of Islam, they were not even born in a Muslim family.
                              Last edited by Debater; 05-01-11, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X