Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV- How do you stop watching it?!

Originally posted by Perfectionist View Post
    TV has become such a norm all over the world. I remember even when I went Umrah, cable was available in the hotel, with some 'romantic' arab drama serial on. So you can't even argue and say its Western thing anymore. How do you think is the best way to refrain yourself from watching it? And become unhooked from all those drama series. Especially when its all around you, even at home because other members of the family watch it.
    SubhanAllah, TV is such a big fitnah. Sis/Bro do you pray x 5?

Giving up the TV will be hard especiaaly when others in the family watch it, but nothing is impossible with sincere dua to Allah. I truly believe that if you want to do anything in life to get closer to Allah, Allah will aid you. Make dua to Allah to help you and at the same time try to occupy yourself with the rememberance of Allah. When others are watching TV leave the room, go and do something else, read, etc. Continously ask for Allah to help you. I have family members who give up TV in ramadhan but then after ramadhan get sucked back in. I would say dont wean yourself of it, just stop. Make a promise to Allah that you will not watch anything that will not benefit you in Deen...

Quran 2:186] When My servants ask you (Prophet Muhammed) concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every supplicant when he calls on Me. Let them also, with a will, Listen to My call, and believe in Me, That they may walk in the right way.

May Allah make it easy for you to get closer to Him. Ameen

I am sorry if i have offended you. May Allah forgive me. Ameen

PS. Bros and Sis the OP wanted serious and practical advice. Lets try to help with constructive advice, for the sake of Allah.

Take care

Wasalaam
    Last edited by straigthpath; 26-12-10, 02:05 AM. Reason: advice
    "For us Allah is Sufficient and He is the best Disposer of affairs" (Qur'an 3:173)

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post
      u can watch history channel ... very informative
      Yehi like anyone watches that. I suppose you watch National Geographic too??

Comment

Originally posted by x--x View Post
        Yehi like anyone watches that. I suppose you watch National Geographic too??
        history , cartoon network , discovery , animal planet , nat geo sometimes only ....

Comment

Well, think of it this way ...

Your eyes & ears, mainly used for watching telly, are gonna be witnesses for the haraam that you watched ...
          So, the question is , do you have enough good deeds that you can now relax & watch haraam & expect the 'enough' deeds to save you from the punishments of the hereafter ?

Makes you think ...
          "Treat people in such a way and live amongst them in such a manner that if you die they weep over you, and when you are alive, they crave for your company"

[Hadhrat Ali R.A]

Comment

Bismillah

mashallah at least you put some thought to it. Well there is only one way it depends how determined you are on getting closer to Allah swt and the beloved. I am also trying to stop.....you have to realie the more you watch, the more burden it puts on your heart, the more space it takes up there (i.e. images, sound etc.) then what have you left in your heart for your God?

All these pictures we see has a effect on the carnal self so save your self by realising life is short, you will die soon so put effort in by practising your religion. main motivation could be looking at women is a no go and tv has lots of images so stop by the thought it is displeasing to your lord regardless if you think something or not its better for you to lower your gaze. If you need to detox little by little....I sugges you quit watching drama and movies immeditaly. Stick to news, sports (male sports) and cartoons only. And slowly stop watching it. Also best advise would be seriously take it out of your home. Not only would you find more time for you family and children to spend more positively but you will have a great control on bring goodness in your house by the will of Allah swt i.e. children will be lessi influenced by it which they are immensly (thats if your married).

Inshallah any efforts are apprecited by Allah swt.

But seriously take life seriously and relfect alot that one day your going to die and trust me look at how old your are now and reflect how quickly that went by and think ahead with the thought when you are older it will feel the same. Also think you are deffinitely going into youre grave then why make your accountability in the next life hard especially if you have more donts then do's. At the end nothing is worth it.

Also reflect how good is tv for you, actually how benefitial is it. Is it more benefitial according to Islam....does it acctually make a difference in your life if you knew what they were talking about? If somehow it does (as some channels can be good) then nothing wrong in watching but ifnot then, you should stop....once again it depends on how willing you are to meet your lord with a smile on his face? Inshallah pray and make every effort. Inshallah it will pay off!!!

Inshallah I urge everyone not to have a tv if you do just news channel lol

Comment

Originally posted by Alovingheart121 View Post
              Inshallah I urge everyone not to have a tv if you do just news channel lol
              Bin that too & get a radio if you're so eager for the news ...
              "Treat people in such a way and live amongst them in such a manner that if you die they weep over you, and when you are alive, they crave for your company"

[Hadhrat Ali R.A]

Comment

The upper hand (the one that gives) is better than the lower hand (the one that takes).

Comment

Bismillah

Mashallah Aisha91 is right I forget the radio still exist! lol yea use radios!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X