Clear All

• **~...Are We Eating Too Much!?..~**

.....Are We Eating Too Much!?

Click image for larger version

Name:	carrot-cake-ct-1585281-l.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	10781466

Moderation in eating leads to tenderness of the heart, strength of the intellect, weakness of desires and gentleness of temper. On the other hand, excessive eating leads the body towards laziness and disobedience to Allaah, and makes worship seem laborious. No doubt, we all know how much more difficult it is to get ready for prayer after eating too much! This is why we find great benefit in being moderate in our eating . We also experience part of the wisdom behind Allaah's obligation upon us to fast. Ibn ul-Qayyim said:

"From the Mercy of the Mighty and the Most Merciful is that He has prescribed for them fasting, which will cut off the excesses of eating and drinking, and empties the heart of its desires that divert it in its journey towards Allaah the Most High. He prescribed it in due proportion as will be apropriate and will benefit the servant with regard to this world and the Hereafter, and does not harm him, nor damage what is beneficial for him." (167)

If we eat the right amount, we can keep ourselves strong and healthy; indeed the Prophet (sallallahu alahyi wa sallam) said: "The strong Believer is better then the weak Believer..." (168)

Therefore, one of the things we should intend from eating, is increasing and maintaining the strength necessary to do acts of obedience to Allaah, so that we do not lose the reward if we eat for pleasure alone. (169)

Islaam calls for balance in all of our affairs, including our eating and drinking. Thus Allaah has warned us againest glutony, since this deadens the heart and is harmful to both the body and soul. yet at the same time, He has forbidden us to fast every day since this too is harmful. That is why, when the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) heard of a man who had vowed to fast every single day, he said;

"Listen! I fear Allaah more then all of you and I am more conscious of my duty to Him than all of you. I fast, but I eat as well...One who turns away from my Sunnah is not from me." (170)

Footnotes:

167. Zaadul Ma'aad vol.2 pp.86-7
    168. Muslim
    169. See Minhaaj-ul-Qaasidee n
    170. Al-Bukhaari and Muslim

Taken from the book Authentic Etiquette of Eating and Hosting from the Qur'aan and Sunnah with 150 Recipes from Around the World posted on www.pinkislam.com

:love:"And whosoever is conscious of Allah, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whoever puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish His purpose. Indeed Allah has sent a measure for all things." (Quran: 65/2-3)

Re: **~...Are We Eating Too Much!?..~**

Oh mann, that cake looks
    I WANT!

Khair, I gotta learn to stop myself. Sometimes I just let myself go at it. :(
    I know it's bad, but food taste so good!
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

:jkk:
      ‎"Listen with the ears of tolerance. See through the eyes of compassion. Speak with the language of love."
      Rumi RahimuAllah.

Comment

:jkk: :up:
        “And this worldly life is not but diversion and amusement. And indeed, the home of the Hereafter - that is the [eternal] life, if only they knew.” [29:64]

Comment

Working...
        X