Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What clothes did the Prophet (saw) and the Sahaba (ra) wear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What clothes did the Prophet (saw) and the Sahaba (ra) wear?

I was reading some of the past 'thobe vs shalwar kameez' threads and this question occurred to me.

We know the thobe and salwar kameez didn't exist back then so what type of clothes did they wear?

Was it only one sheet because I remember the story of Umar ibn Khattab (ra) who distributed one piece of cloth each amongst the Muslims and when he stood at the pulpit, one of the Sahaba challenged him as he was wearing two pieces. Thus Umar (ra) called Abdullah Ibn Umar (ra) to explain why and he said his father is a tall man so he gave him his piece. (jist of the story from the top of my head - correct me if I made errors)

So what clothes did they wear? Was it one piece or two piece?

Re: What clothes did the Prophet (saw) and the Sahaba (ra) wear?

This is what I know about clothing that is sunnah (male):

The imama was of a solid colour, 7 and 10 and a half foot IIRC, and a white hat
    The shirt is loose fitted and covers at least past the knee.
    The pants are also loose fitted, tied around the navel and reach halfway between the knee and the ankles.
    Sandals
    Silver ring

Sorry I can't provide sources at this time, I gathered this information quite a while ago.

Comment

Looking at the ahadeeth... the sahabah used to wear izaars (lower peice), and a top one (just like the hajji's wear, sorry don't remember what it was called). Sometimes they had only one peice, and sometimes both, but the sahabah were mostly poor so it was mostly the izaar. They wore pants as well, and 'amamah's to cover their heads. They wore diverse colors, but they wouldn't wear pure red. That's all I can remember at the moment. May Alah SWT forgiveme if I said something wrong.
      الحق لا يعرف بالرجال، اعرف الحق تعرف رجاله

Comment

:Jzk: for the answers.

Anyone else? Please?

Comment

Read Shamaa'il Tirmidhi -

http://www.inter-islam.org/hadeeth/stmenu.htm

If possible buy it from Amazon.com its very beneficial
          Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
          فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Comment

i've read that rasool-Allaah had one red thobe used specifically for 'eid & joyous ocassions. need to re-check to confirm

Comment

the prophet S.A.W. used to wear these items.

sometimes he would wear an izar, with a linen shirt.
              sometimes trousers and a kurta.
              he had a shwal
              he had 3 turbans. one white, one black, one green. some other narrations also say red but this is disputed.
              ye had 3 sets of armour.
              an iron helmet
              2 shields.
              3 spears
              i forget how many swords.

the sunnah for men though, according to the ulema, is that as long as our clothing covers our awrah, goes above the ankle and such, and dose not immitate the kuffar, then that person is fufilling the sunnah. because the prophet S.A.W. dident wear just one type of clothing. likewise we all live in different enviroments. its minus 15 outside where i am and minus 22 with the windchill. no way im going to wear a turban and sandals outside. however i can still wear my sawal kammeze if i wear somthing warm underneath them.

what i mentioned above is only what i have memorized. i do know however that he had other type of clothing for eid and such.
              painful torment? (10) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Comment

This is interesting, I need to know more..
                Per aspera ad astra.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle umar View Post

the prophet S.A.W. used to wear these items.

sometimes he would wear an izar, with a linen shirt.
                  sometimes trousers and a kurta.
                  he had a shwal
                  he had 3 turbans. one white, one black, one green. some other narrations also say red but this is disputed.
                  ye had 3 sets of armour.
                  an iron helmet
                  2 shields.
                  3 spears
                  i forget how many swords.

the sunnah for men though, according to the ulema, is that as long as our clothing covers our awrah, goes above the ankle and such, and dose not immitate the kuffar, then that person is fufilling the sunnah. because the prophet S.A.W. dident wear just one type of clothing. likewise we all live in different enviroments. its minus 15 outside where i am and minus 22 with the windchill. no way im going to wear a turban and sandals outside. however i can still wear my sawal kammeze if i wear somthing warm underneath them.

what i mentioned above is only what i have memorized. i do know however that he had other type of clothing for eid and such.
                  Make dua for uncle umar, he died shaheed fighting in the cause of Allah to make Allah's deen uppermost in the land
                  .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
                  نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
                  دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X