Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: As Muslims, we really need to rethink offensive things

Originally posted by loonietoonie View Post
    He has a knack to do this sis. Have a look at the thread "Punishment of Rape in the Bible" and the games he tried to play with the Qur'an. Ironically, he calls himself TheRationalMan.
    Okay, I didn't read it fully the first time. It was bullying.

However, the OP is correct, that girl should have dismissed that. Grow some thicker skin.

The boy didn't deserve suspension; maybe a detention or something. People get their race, beliefs, gender, etc. criticized every day. My friends make these jokes all day about every race, belief, and gender. It doesn't matter, and if it did, I'd dismiss it, not send my friends home for a day.

OP is correct, and you are just too radical about the defense of some overreacting girl.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRationalMan View Post
      Okay, I didn't read it fully the first time. It was bullying.

However, the OP is correct, that girl should have dismissed that. Grow some thicker skin.

The boy didn't deserve suspension; maybe a detention or something. People get their race, beliefs, gender, etc. criticized every day.[B] My friends make these jokes all day about every race, belief, and gender. It doesn't matter, and if it did, I'd dismiss it, not send my friends home for a day. OP is correct, and you are just too radical about the defense of some overreacting girl.
      Girls are girls. The boy got a legitimate warning and he did not heed and got what he deserved. I doubt the boy and the girl were "friends". Detention is not much of a deterrent. A good one day timeout should set him straight.

Love how you snuck a nice media word; radical. :) Switch it up with some "islamist fundamentalistic fanaticism". Haven't heard that in one a while.

Comment

Girls are girls. The boy got a legitimate warning and he did not heed and got what he deserved. I doubt the boy and the girl were "friends". Detention is not much of a deterrent. A good one day timeout should set him straight.

Love how you snuck a nice media word; radical. :) Switch it up with some "islamist fundamentalistic fanaticism". Haven't heard that in one a while.
        Wrong, she should have sucked it up. Grow some thicker skin.

Comment

Wrong, she should have sucked it up. Grow some thicker skin.
          nah the boy shoulda kept his mouth shut instead when he was told to do so. Grow some brains.

Comment

nah the boy shoulda kept his mouth shut instead when he was told to do so. Grow some brains.
            No, no, the boy deserved SOME punishment the second time, obviously. It's bullying.

But the first time the girl got upset? Grow some thicker skin. The point that the OP was trying to make was that you guys need to learn to take things less seriously, and ignore things that may seem to hurt you. It's not worth it to get upset and cry about something that doesn't even matter because you're too overreactive.

Comment

No, no, the boy deserved SOME punishment the second time, obviously. It's bullying.

But the first time the girl got upset? Grow some thicker skin. The point that the OP was trying to make was that you guys need to learn to take things less seriously, and ignore things that may seem to hurt you. It's not worth it to get upset and cry about something that doesn't even matter because you're too overreactive.
              Humans are humans and we are all different with different sensitivities. Girl was sensitive. It was cleanly brought to the boys attention. He tried to be a prick and got what he deserved. 24 hours to think about what he did and what he shouldnt do in the future is reasonable. It doesn't matter to YOU, but last time I checked you were not the girl.

Comment

Humans are humans and we are all different with different sensitivities. Girl was sensitive. It was cleanly brought to the boys attention. He tried to be a prick and got what he deserved. 24 hours to think about what he did and what he shouldnt do in the future is reasonable. It doesn't matter to YOU, but last time I checked you were not the girl.
                Doesn't change anything. She should learn to be less sensitive over such a small matter. The first time, at least.

The second time... yeah the boy was given a warning so he deserves punishment. But that doesn't mean the girl shouldn't have been tougher in the situation. She should have just dealt with it, personally. Should have grown some thicker skin.

And the boy didn't deserve a suspension, in my opinion.

Comment

Doesn't change anything. She should learn to be less sensitive over such a small matter. The first time, at least.

The second time... yeah the boy was given a warning so he deserves punishment. But that doesn't mean the girl shouldn't have been tougher in the situation. She should have just dealt with it, personally. Should have grown some thicker skin.

And the boy didn't deserve a suspension, in my opinion.
                  1 day suspension was proper. Detention is meaningless nowadays and by nowadays I mean, since 10 years ago.

Comment

That's fine, think what you think.

Comment

wat would khulafah rashideen have said in this case?
                      Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
                      فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Comment

Originally posted by IbnulQayyim View Post
                        wat would khulafah rashideen have said in this case?
                        Off with his head?
                        Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfn View Post
                          Off with his head?
                          No. They wouldn't meddle with interpersonal elementary school kids issues.

Comment

seriously, and why should a little girl have to endure bullying, what a joker this one, I say all ignore people liek him, any nonmuslim who wants to learn about islam let them ask questions, look at his attitude in all his posts, people liek him are here to waste time and be annoying, stop entertaining them
                            " O you who have believed, do not follow the footsteps of Satan. And whoever follows the footsteps of Satan - indeed, he enjoins immorality and wrongdoing. And if not for the favor of Allah upon you and His mercy, not one of you would have been pure, ever, but Allah purifies whom He wills, and Allah is Hearing and Knowing. "
                            Surah An-Nur, Verse 21

Comment

Salams,

Bismillah.

Brother Wolfn I really do thank you for brining up this thread. :jkk: It's been something I too have been putting a fair amount of thought and consideration in to - though I do differ in opinion (slightly) from what you have mentioned. As several posters have already mentioned and as well as is commonly known, a middle ground / healthy balance is what's best. Allahu alim.

Personally, i've found Islamic activism in response to the various happenings, insults, etc, very influential and inspiring. Though, OBVIOUSLY, there has been some excesses in said activism - i'd rather see and participate in something excessive than not react or respond to injustice at all. As it's often stated we have to enjoin what is good and forbid what is wrong without hesitation and without reflecting whether or not the scenario is big or small.

That, for me, has been a huge inspiration. Islam and Muslims are truly one of the few groups in society who actually speak out against insults to their faith, against the nobility of the prophets, etc. Islam and Muslims speak out against immorality, against the dunya, etc. Islam and Muslims especially speak out against injustice and though he wasn't a Muslim i'll quote Martin Luther King:

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
                              The idea of having "thicker skin" sounds ideal. It does. I think so too. I'd be great to have "thicker skin" but ultimately you have to consider the price tag attached to such a mindset and way of life. For some people, ignoring the insults, unethical taunts, harassment, etc, would eventually pick at their consciousness. To me, ignoring the insults, racism, sexism, harassment, islamophobia, etc, is equivalent to tolerating all of it. GK Chesterton said it best...

Despite the obvious over reactions it seems to me that many Muslims speak out against such injustices' because of our love for righteousness, integrity, honesty, morality, etc. When you insult someone's love for their faith, their prophet, etc, negative reactions are an eventuality.

That's what makes Islam revolutionary. That's what makes Muslims different from the rest of the apathetic masses. Love. Love for enjoining the good and forbidding the evil.

Despite the fact he was an atheistic communist, Che Guevara put it nicely when he said: The moment Islam itself and Muslims give up being standard bearers of all that is good, proper, and moral is the moment that we become acquaintances of shaytan. Such a passive attitude of ignoring or tolerating the hate directed towards our deen has the hallmark of shaytan stamped on it bro.

Take care.
                              "He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by IDK View Post
                                well I dont know who "snopes" is, so it doesnt confirm anything for me. regardless, so what if we have some crazy nutjobs? every country/religion does, why is it that whenever they are muslims its blown way out of proportion
                                Snopes is site dedicated to highlighting urban myths....all those stories people believe to be true but are actually made up.

In this case the protest was real, but the placard "behead those who say islam is violent" was photoshopped as a joke. It did the rounds on the internet as a ****-take of the protesters.

You can actually tell from the handwriting that all the placards were the work of one person.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X