As Muslims, we really need to rethink offensive things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As Muslims, we really need to rethink offensive things

Here is an article about a young boy suspended from school because he was talking to his friend about video games and said the word "Taliban". A Muslim girl heard this and reported him and now the mortified boy is suspended from school because of it.
    http://www.northjersey.com/news/educ...n_comment.html

Seriously, this article is making me think about offensive things and how we deal with them.

First and foremost, I think as Muslims we need to grow a thicker skin. People will always find offensive things to say about us and it will never go away. The best thing to do is ignore the offensive people. By doing so, their words fall on deaf ears.

For example, let's say the boy did refer to the Muslim girl as a Taliban. If she just ignored him, that would be the end of it. Instead, she made a big deal out of it and now a kid is being suspended and it's making headlines. Look at the comments on the news page and on the forums. They now think we are hyper-sensitive and now non-Muslims will fall into two categories: the ones who are too scared to say anything about Islam (good or bad) in fear of offending us, or those who purposely insult Islam because they know they will get a reaction from us.

Another example: the South Park cartoons. In April, South Park aired an episode with Santa in a bear suit (which the children in the cartoon said was Muhammad). Muhammad is not seen in this episode whatsoever. If any Muslims were offended by the thought of Santa in a bear suit, they should have just kept quiet. But because we had extremists make threats of violence, it prompted "Draw Muhammad Day" the next month because people knew they would get a reaction out of us. If Muslims just ignored the initial South Park episode, nothing would have happened. Instead, extremists decided to sh!t a brick and what followed was the largest Islamophobia wave in years. Draw Muhammad Day, the Park 51 (Ground Zero Mosque) protests, and Burn a Qu'ran Day were all results of Muslims protesting trivial things.

To summarize, if we see something offensive, the best thing to do is ignore it. If some idiots like Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh do say offensive things against Islam, they are basically giving Dawah to non-Muslims. If we react peacefully (or not at all), then we will have more people see Islam for what it truly is instead of extreme Muslims making Islam the laughing stock of the world.

And that's the Memo.
    Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Re: As Muslims, we really need to rethink offensive things

If we react peacefully
    How?

(or not at all),
    Not an option. They're just think "Hmm, check this guy (Islam) out...you slap him in the face and he just sits there and takes it. Let's do it agaaain!".

Good on the boy who got suspended. Teaches him and his likes a lesson. High 5 to the muslim girl.

Comment

Originally posted by loonietoonie View Post
      How?

Not an option. They're just think "Hmm, check this guy (Islam) out...you slap him in the face and he just sits there and takes it. Let's do it agaaain!".

Good on the boy who got suspended. Teaches him and his likes a lesson. High 5 to the muslim girl.
      Are you serious?
      Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Comment

We should always react but not overreact

Comment

Originally posted by truthworthy View Post
          We should always react but not overreact
          I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfn View Post
            I agree.
            I disagree.
            <--- I look like that and when I'm not :zzz:, I'm usually like like:banbear:and like:rotfl:but sometimes I'm like as well.

Comment

Originally posted by YasirH View Post
              I disagree.
              How so?

Comment

How so?
                No idea.
                <--- I look like that and when I'm not :zzz:, I'm usually like like:banbear:and like:rotfl:but sometimes I'm like as well.

Comment

I agree ! The media & haters will constantly provoke us that's for sure but we have to remember it's our reaction to them that makes the headlines the next day. When we get angry/violent we're only proving what they are accusing us of in the first place. We know from the media that Islam is portrayed as a violent religion ever since 9/11 but instead of stooping to their level and giving them a reaction that they can point at and say 'See' to we should be proving them wrong and showing them what Islam is really about. Speak & act peacfully towards people and they themselves will feel shame for treating you with disrespect.

Many people convert to Islam because of the kindness they've experienced by Muslims in reaction to their hate and debates. I've never heard any stories of a person coming to Islam after being dealt with with anger and hate back though..
                  Allah is 'closer to him than (his) jugular vein' (Quran - 50:16)
                  ♥.. Any given time - I do my best to strive - In Your name I rise - The apple of my eyes ..♥

Comment

Originally posted by CloserThanVeins View Post
                    I agree ! The media & haters will constantly provoke us that's for sure but we have to remember it's our reaction to them that makes the headlines the next day. When we get angry/violent we're only proving what they are accusing us of in the first place. We know from the media that Islam is portrayed as a violent religion ever since 9/11 but instead of stooping to their level and giving them a reaction that they can point at and say 'See' to we should be proving them wrong and showing them what Islam is really about. Speak & act peacfully towards people and they themselves will feel shame for treating you with disrespect.

Many people convert to Islam because of the kindness they've experienced by Muslims in reaction to their hate and debates. I've never heard any stories of a person coming to Islam after being dealt with with anger and hate back though..
                    now, who said that there is nothing more uncommon than common sense ?

Comment

The girl should've just kept quiet. That's no reason to report anyone.

But, as for the South Park thing...I disagree with you there.
                      There's no making fun of Allah and His Messenger :saw:, whatsoever.
                      Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
                      - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
                        The girl should've just kept quiet. That's no reason to report anyone.

But, as for the South Park thing...I disagree with you there.
                        There's no making fun of Allah and His Messenger :saw:, whatsoever.
                        two things:
                        1) They didn't make fun of Muhammad (SAW). It was Santa in the bear suit.
                        2) People will always make fun of Allah (SWT) and Muhammad (SAW). We can't change that.

Comment

two things:
                          1) They didn't make fun of Muhammad (SAW). It was Santa in the bear suit.
                          2) People will always make fun of Allah (SWT) and Muhammad (SAW). We can't change that.
                          1)I didn't knew it was Santa...All I heard was it was Prophet Muhammad :saw:. I'm not sure, then.
                          2) We can't just sit back and let them make fun of our deen. I don't like how people make fun of Jesus and Christians don't say anything. Matter of fact, muslims should denounce that, too.
                          Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
                          - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

well the problem is with the law, and not the girl who complained. The boy should have been given a warning or detention but not exclusion. It was right for the girl to report someone who is being racist or a bully, but children should not be expelled from school for ignorance

However, generally I agree that we shouldnt be so sensitive and always demand perfect treatment, in the end of the day its up to you what you do as long as we have same rights as everybody
                            " O you who have believed, do not follow the footsteps of Satan. And whoever follows the footsteps of Satan - indeed, he enjoins immorality and wrongdoing. And if not for the favor of Allah upon you and His mercy, not one of you would have been pure, ever, but Allah purifies whom He wills, and Allah is Hearing and Knowing. "
                            Surah An-Nur, Verse 21

Comment

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
                              1)I didn't knew it was Santa...All I heard was it was Prophet Muhammad :saw:. I'm not sure, then.
                              2) We can't just sit back and let them make fun of our deen. I don't like how people make fun of Jesus and Christians don't say anything. Matter of fact, muslims should denounce that, too.
                              well thats another thing, when they insult God we never do anything about it, and we would be overwhelmed if we did, in the end of the day Allah will deal with their blasphemy
                              " O you who have believed, do not follow the footsteps of Satan. And whoever follows the footsteps of Satan - indeed, he enjoins immorality and wrongdoing. And if not for the favor of Allah upon you and His mercy, not one of you would have been pure, ever, but Allah purifies whom He wills, and Allah is Hearing and Knowing. "
                              Surah An-Nur, Verse 21

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X