Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Moving out of the UK- Suggestions?

Yeah, where were you during Katrina?
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Originally posted by nousername View Post
      ^^^oh man what a nightmare Katrina was.. i hope u didn't have to go to the superdome :/
      The people who didn't have the means to get out or were stranded found themselves at the Superdome or Convention Center :(. Alhamdullilah I was staying an hour away and then went further up north with rest of the family for a few weeks til the officials let us back into the city to clean up, which was about 2-3 weeks.

Now you have to raise your house if insurance company tells you, or they will not insure your house anymore :/ I know someone who had to pay 100k for that little house raising thing, it was covered some by insurance, but she had to shell out 30k.

The poorer areas of the city are still rundown :/

P.S. I know people will say move, but easier said than done and it's one of the risks of living anywhere either it be earthquakes, tornadoes etc.

Comment

Originally posted by NoLa View Post
        ...and it's one of the risks of living anywhere either it be earthquakes, tornadoes etc.
        True. I thought I was safe where I am, but we had a tornado-like thing (a funnel cloud) few weeks back. It uprooted trees and roofs.

Khair, nothing can touch us unless Allah wills.
        Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."

Comment

Originally posted by SimplyMuslim View Post
          I was actually seriously thinking of Yemen
          Yemen functionally has no government. I fully expect to see a civil war there within the next decade. Their official government wouldn't even be able to put of enough resistance to call it a 'civil war', but the US will probably prop it up long enough to spill a lot of blood.

I wouldn't recommend any of the Gulf countries, honestly. Of course there's good and bad everywhere, but in that part of the world, adherence to Islam tends to focus less on taqwa and tawheed, and more on what the neighbors will think. To an extent, that's going to be true of any Muslim country you migrate to.

In the West, the vast majority of people who identify themselves as practicing Muslims made an active choice to live that way, whereas in Muslim countries, family and social pressures play a much larger role. I'm not sure if that results in a higher percentage of Muslims actually practicing, but it definitely results in a lot more people claiming to be practicing while doing all manner of haram. 90% of women in a given country wearing abaya does not mean that 90% of people in that country are good Muslims or even decent human beings. Someone expecting that is going to be very disappointed.

Arab countries in general, and Gulf countries specifically, tend to be extremely racist and classist, much moreso than in the West. If you're neither white nor light-skinned Arab yourself, you'll get tired of it very quickly. Africans and Asians are considered by many to be a servant class. It is considered perfectly acceptable to pay people completely different salaries for the same job, depending on their origin.

The family laws in Arab countries are very different from the West, but not necessarily any closer to shari'ah. Depending on the country, it can be outright impossible for a woman to get a divorce without her husband's agreement, no matter what he's done. Judges tend to apply un-Islamic double standards when determining which parent is more 'suitable' to have physical custody of children. While no one should go into marriage planning on divorce, this is worth considering if you plan to marry someone there.

Sadly, Atheist is right about abuse of women in Arab countries. If you tell a man who whistles or blows kisses at you that it's haram, he'll tell you with a completely straight face that because you were out alone/not wearing black/not covering your face/accidentally made eye contact, he thought you wanted to go home with him, and that you shouldn't do that if you didn't want it. The same thing may happen in the West, but it happens a lot more there. Many men there grow up being taught if they find themselves 'tempted', it's automatically the woman's fault for existing.

Violence against women is tolerated in about 50% of the families I know there. There are some countries where it's perfectly legal so long as the woman doesn't die as a result. It's an aspect of the culture, and many of those who do it truly believe that they're doing nothing wrong - it's the woman's fault for making him angry.

It's one thing to watch non-Muslims do all sorts of haram things. It's something else entirely to watch Muslims who should know better find ways to twist our beautiful deen to suit their own ends, all the while swearing that "It says in the Qur'an that [XYZ haram thing] is ok!", and seeming to genuinely believe it. You'll see a lot more of that in Muslim countries than you will in the West. Living there will not necessarily be better for your deen.

If you really want to live in an Arab country, Jordan and Syria are nice, but nearly impossible to make a living in. Salaries just aren't high enough to meet the cost of living. The Maldives and Malaysia are also predominantly Muslim, and they sound like nice places to live, but I've never been there.

If you've never lived independently, it might be best to do that in the UK for a while before moving to the other side of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibn Khattab View Post
            Bro try wales I heard thats a good place mashallah!!
            IM A SISTER!!!!!!!!!

''''''Your sister in Islam????'''''''

;p JazakAllah - i saw that documentary on reverts in wales seems interesting
            im kind of liking where i live now
            .................................................. ............ ;)................................................ ...................................

Comment

Something I came across:

Countries With the Best Quality of Life.
              • Norway
              • Australia
              • New Zealand
              • United States?
              • Ireland
              Last edited by .mirror.; 05-11-10, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleMuslimah View Post
                Yemen functionally has no government. I fully expect to see a civil war there within the next decade. Their official government wouldn't even be able to put of enough resistance to call it a 'civil war', but the US will probably prop it up long enough to spill a lot of blood.

I wouldn't recommend any of the Gulf countries, honestly. Of course there's good and bad everywhere, but in that part of the world, adherence to Islam tends to focus less on taqwa and tawheed, and more on what the neighbors will think. To an extent, that's going to be true of any Muslim country you migrate to.

In the West, the vast majority of people who identify themselves as practicing Muslims made an active choice to live that way, whereas in Muslim countries, family and social pressures play a much larger role. I'm not sure if that results in a higher percentage of Muslims actually practicing, but it definitely results in a lot more people claiming to be practicing while doing all manner of haram. 90% of women in a given country wearing abaya does not mean that 90% of people in that country are good Muslims or even decent human beings. Someone expecting that is going to be very disappointed.

Arab countries in general, and Gulf countries specifically, tend to be extremely racist and classist, much moreso than in the West. If you're neither white nor light-skinned Arab yourself, you'll get tired of it very quickly. Africans and Asians are considered by many to be a servant class. It is considered perfectly acceptable to pay people completely different salaries for the same job, depending on their origin.

The family laws in Arab countries are very different from the West, but not necessarily any closer to shari'ah. Depending on the country, it can be outright impossible for a woman to get a divorce without her husband's agreement, no matter what he's done. Judges tend to apply un-Islamic double standards when determining which parent is more 'suitable' to have physical custody of children. While no one should go into marriage planning on divorce, this is worth considering if you plan to marry someone there.

Sadly, Atheist is right about abuse of women in Arab countries. If you tell a man who whistles or blows kisses at you that it's haram, he'll tell you with a completely straight face that because you were out alone/not wearing black/not covering your face/accidentally made eye contact, he thought you wanted to go home with him, and that you shouldn't do that if you didn't want it. The same thing may happen in the West, but it happens a lot more there. Many men there grow up being taught if they find themselves 'tempted', it's automatically the woman's fault for existing.

Violence against women is tolerated in about 50% of the families I know there. There are some countries where it's perfectly legal so long as the woman doesn't die as a result. It's an aspect of the culture, and many of those who do it truly believe that they're doing nothing wrong - it's the woman's fault for making him angry.

It's one thing to watch non-Muslims do all sorts of haram things. It's something else entirely to watch Muslims who should know better find ways to twist our beautiful deen to suit their own ends, all the while swearing that "It says in the Qur'an that [XYZ haram thing] is ok!", and seeming to genuinely believe it. You'll see a lot more of that in Muslim countries than you will in the West. Living there will not necessarily be better for your deen.

If you really want to live in an Arab country, Jordan and Syria are nice, but nearly impossible to make a living in. Salaries just aren't high enough to meet the cost of living. The Maldives and Malaysia are also predominantly Muslim, and they sound like nice places to live, but I've never been there.

If you've never lived independently, it might be best to do that in the UK for a while before moving to the other side of the world.
                Wow that's depressing, looks like savages are common species there that's reassuring. Might as well stay where i am, at least the police works
                My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername :o
                Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X