Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extravagance

Salam alaikum,

Just wondering what would you consider to be extravagant in this day and age? (In terms of spending specifically and especially when it comes to running a family)

What is the impression that brother's get of the way women spend-do they spend on unnecessary things. Do you agree with a wife being given an allowance? The reason why I ask brothers about women is because they can see fom an outsiders point of view.

Please answer honestly without any silly comments.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZVEydn3RKk

Re: Extravagance

dpends on what ones persons means are.

if your extreemly rich its not extravangant to have a nice house or anything like that. i would be extravangant to blow all your oney though.

likewise if your going chack by ckack, its kind of extravagant to guy a new couch instead of food.
    And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (All‚h) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in All‚h and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of All‚h with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Comment

We know the sahabah lived simple lives and Islam encourages simple living.

So is it really in accordance with how much money you have, as most people in the world are not rich.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZVEydn3RKk

Comment

the sahabas lived a simple life because most of them were very poor to begin with and really dident have a choice. some were right but the sahabas were so pious that they gave alot in sadaqa.

its not obligatory though to give like that they do, but ofcourse its better to.

there is moderation on our spending. in the Qur'an Allah says not to be so giving that you are left with nothing. likewise allah says not to be a greedy mizer.

extravangance is simple spending beond ones needs. it can also be spending stupidly. for a rich man to guy 15 cars thats abit extravagant. fot a poor man to buy a car but starve cause of it is extravagant.
        And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (All‚h) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in All‚h and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of All‚h with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Comment

I believe that, in veiw of the present challenges facing Muslims today, it is an extravagance to spend any money at all on other things than basic needs (food, shelter, education). We should spend the rest of our income on ways to educate and improve the situation of Muslims in the world.
          In ingenuity I trust

Comment

Originally posted by Umm_Hanzalah View Post
            Salam alaikum,

Just wondering what would you consider to be extravagant in this day and age? (In terms of spending specifically and especially when it comes to running a family)

What is the impression that brother's get of the way women spend-do they spend on unnecessary things. Do you agree with a wife being given an allowance? The reason why I ask brothers about women is because they can see fom an outsiders point of view.

Please answer honestly without any silly comments.
            :wswrwb:

It is to spend on things which is beyond one's capacity.

:wswrwb:
            Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
            فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Comment

extravagence really depends on the incoming coming into the house, if you can barely afford the food and bills, and you buy something else that may seem unnecessary, as your living beyond your financial means.

So its going to vary from person to person
              82. Verily, when He intends a thing, His Command is, "be", and it is! 83. So glory to Him in Whose hands is the dominion of all things: and to Him will you be all brought back. Quran surah 36: Ya-sin

Comment

Originally posted by Umm_Hanzalah View Post
                We know the sahabah lived simple lives and Islam encourages simple living.

So is it really in accordance with how much money you have, as most people in the world are not rich.
                i think it has to be in accordance with income to some extent doesnt it sis?
                thats not to say that a 1 million pounds sofa (for eg) is not extravagent for someone cos they have got 1 billion so can afford it, i would say its extravagant for them still. but on a more normal level of spending, buying good quality and nice things that someone can afford is not necessarily extravagant but for a v poor person if it would prevent them from food then it is?
                like zakat level is set @ a percentage of savings, not @ a flat rate - so from that u can see its a percentage so varies in accordance with income, which shows not everyones finances have to be exactly the same, if u get how i mean?
                i think everyone just has to use their judgement and common sense, and balance their spending on themselves with spending on charity and just remember that we will be questioned about it, and then go ahead and do what they think is right for their finances/family
                also remembering that a husband spending on his wife and kids is classed as charity, and i think there is hadith where someone was fairly wealthy but dressed v v poorly cos he didnt want to b extravagent but he was told that Allah has blessed with wealth so u are allowed to show that in the way u dress, like u dont have to make urself raggy just for the sake of avoiding extravagance if Allah has given u the rizq.. i dont have the hadith on me to c&p or type out so just paraphrasing the basic message of it
                .: Rufaida :.
                .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
                http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
                ďPeople praise you for what they suppose is in you,
                but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.Ē
                ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
                <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

If a person has a true desire and longing for the hereafter, and a proper understanding of the reality and value of this life, that person will not buy things beyond what he really needs - even if he can afford to do this.
                  "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

Comment

I once saw a documentary with a billionaire who had robinets made of gold, and toilet in gold too + diamond incrusted on where you sit.
                    That's kind of extravagant ?
                    My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername
                    Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

It Depends On How Much Money We Have.

As Long As We Give to Charity The Right Way

And You Dont Spend Any Thing On Haraam Or Bad. You Can Buy What You Want I Guess
                      And He found you lost and guided you,
                      ~ Qur'an (Ad Duhaa) 93:7 ~

Salaah Reminders

Guide us to the straight pain.
                      " Ihdina-s-sirata-l-mustaqim "
                      ~ Quran 1:6 ~

الله أعلم

Comment

A 7 million pound personalised registration plate is extravagant.

Comment

Working...
                        X