Sitting next to the opposite sex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitting next to the opposite sex?

So you get on to the bus, train, tube...and you find that there is only one seat left but it is next to a member of the opposite sex.

Now Islamically is it wrong (sinful) to sit down and would it be better to stand in such a scenario?

What about if you are sitting and a member of the opposite sex sits down next to you. Should I get up or keep sitting?

(Btw no physical contact. Just sitting next to each other in a busy train, bus, tube...)

Re: Sitting next to the opposite sex?

If there's no physical (clothing) contact, then I just stay seated, which is always. But, I sometimes just stand if I enter the train and I find the seats crowded.
    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Stand, squeezing in next to someone is so embarassing.
      GoNe...

Comment

I generally don't sit, just stand when situation like that arises.
        "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
          If there's no physical (clothing) contact, then I just stay seated, which is always. But, I sometimes just stand if I enter the train and I find the seats crowded.
          It draws a lot of attention if you suddenly just stand when someone sits next to you. Normally when I get on the trains normally empty. Its on the way back when its crowded.

Originally posted by MoMo_- View Post
          Stand, squeezing in next to someone is so embarassing.
          I know what you mean.

Originally posted by samin62 View Post
          I generally don't sit, just stand when situation like that arises.
          Makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post
            It draws a lot of attention if you suddenly just stand when someone sits next to you. Normally when I get on the trains normally empty. Its on the way back when its crowded.
            I never get up. Not that brave.
            Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."

Comment

if you want to avoid these situations just dont travel on trains...or buses...or sit on bus stops...or walk down the streets...or go to work...uni etc etc
              https://sufisticated101.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by LondonGal View Post
                if you want to avoid these situations just dont travel on trains...or buses...or sit on bus stops...or walk down the streets...or go to work...uni etc etc
                Yes just sit at home and relax lol
                الصلوۃ والسلام علیک یا سیدی یارسول اللہ

Comment

What about if you are sitting and a member of the opposite sex sits down next to you. Should I get up or keep sitting?
                  Why would you get up ? - you were there first so why should you ?
                  'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ :)

Comment

you don't have to sit down on a bus or train, if there's only one seat and it's next to the opposite gender, then stand somewhere that's nowhere near the seat. As for the other scenario, the most subtle way to get away from someone you don't want to sit next to is to offer the seat to the next elderly, handicapped, pregnant etc person who gets on. One thing that really does my head in about London is people who didn't offer their seats to me when I was pregnant, or when I was wearing my baby in a baby carrier. If the bus is that crowded I'm sure there'll be someone who would want your seat.
                    [CENTER]
                    [/CENTER]
                    [CENTER]
                    [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

I usually sit on the Ladies' seats...so that no male can sit next to me.

However, if the bus is crowded and there are seats available only next to men , I'd sit on that seat rather than stand & get pushed & shoved by countless number of men.

Wouldn't standing up seem a bit awkward if you'd been sitting all along ? Just remain seated & concentrate on whatever you normally do while travelling (reading , cellphone, zikr, tilaawat.... )

Comment

Originally posted by ~TwinklingStar~ View Post
                        I usually sit on the Ladies' seats...so that no male can sit next to me.
                        You guys have specific "Ladies Seats"?

Comment

i agree with saminz62
                          Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
                          فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Comment

Originally posted by IbnulQayyim View Post
                            i agree with saminz62
                            I see, bro. You agree with him, but with me..Noooo!

Comment

So you get on to the bus, train, tube...and you find that there is only one seat left but it is next to a member of the opposite sex.

Now Islamically is it wrong (sinful) to sit down and would it be better to stand in such a scenario?

(Btw no physical contact. Just sitting next to each other in a busy train, bus, tube...)
                              Avoid sitting next to a Non-Mehrem, if it is unavoidable (ie. people are standing, no space, you have already sat down and a Non-Mehrem of the opposite gender comes and sits next to you, then don't make any eye contact and avoid looking at them) Insha'allah you will not be held to blame.

:jkk:
                              http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

Working...
                              X